Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Car Thread (AKA The Anti-Deadmeat thread)  (Read 1907 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: The Car Thread (AKA The Anti-Deadmeat thread)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 07:13:00 pm »

I love the Nissan Skyline. If/when I learn to drive, it'll be the car I aim for. 'Course, I'll need a £200 bucket of bolts for a while before that so I can get cheaper insurance, but It'll happen eventually.

If I can get a £200 pound skyline I will be simultaneously happy and sad. Happy because, well, yay skyline, sad because I'm likely to be the last owner of this car, and it'll be a giant stack of shit.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 07:42:44 pm »

that'd get you a busted old R31. Well, it would if you had a domestic market for them there, which i doubt.

But save up and learn to drive... their not overly expensive, you'd be looking at less than 10000 pounds for a good one, i'd guess (if you can import them to the UK at least. cost wise 10000 pounds would easily get you one in japan, and cover the shipping, and expense getting it on the road in the UK provided the law lets you)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:46:22 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 10:24:11 pm »

What I find interesting is that following the government takeover of GM that big "Toyota causing runaway accidents" thing was blown up in the media when Ford had a similar issue with people dying due to slow recalls and that was merely settled in court without a huge media scandal.

I never get worked up over flaws in automobiles. Horses used to kick children in the head and all.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 11:01:30 pm »

my mother's Acura CL, so it's all really a question of taste and experience.

Acura is the luxury brand of Honda...

Also, I have an Acura CL too! It's the type-s automatic model. Great car, it's really reliable, and I love the engine. the right mix of luxury and performance.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 11:09:35 pm »

To all the people saying stuff like that, I'm perfectly aware that Acuras are Hondas.  That's why I mentioned it, I figured it'd be obvious that I meant American and Japanese cars can be equally reliable.

Although in that Acura's case, the transmission gave up and had to be fixed.  But that took nearly 200k miles, and it gave a year's worth of warning by making a terrible whining noise on the highway.  The breaks going all wobbly was a little less forgivable, since it defied all attempts to fix it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 11:12:03 pm »

Ah yes, the infamous automatic transmission problem with the CL. Apparently the only fix is swapping in a new transmission, and I'm not doing that.

On another note, I'm glad you do know that. You made it out to sound like they were both American automakers (as you had stated you like american cars above all else).
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 06:21:39 am »

@Sluissa: Saturns just never die, they're great, we had one for at least 10 years, sold it five years ago, and last I heard it's still going fine.

Yeah, I loved my Saturn so much. When I went shopping, I even looked around for a similar one, but never was able to find another one with a manual transmission anywhere local. I can count the problems I had with it over 5 years on one hand, only one of them was anything major.

More spoilers as it's a long, ranty post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 06:17:04 pm »

Speaking of skylines: lots of skylines!.

Including mine right infront of the camera car, at least at the start. Its not a race event, just a 20 minute session where you can go out on the track and drive it at a more relaxed pace, not 100%, but without all the annoying helmets and safety forms you'd otherwise need.
Magma is overrated.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 01:35:34 pm »

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a "car guy". For the most part, I can't even tell what model a car is by looking at it. I can tell what color it is, and if it's a truck or a van or a car. That's it. So I don't get moist over torque ratings and such things.

BUT....I do have a massive warm place in my heart for my grandfather's old ride -- an "Ocean Spray"-blue 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado. A "luxury coupe" that purported to be a family touring car, but was in reality a two-ton steel beast with a 385hp heart of fury. It had features that were high-tech in the 1980's, such as headlights that flipped up out of the hood, a night-lighted dashboard, a drum speedometer, and a rear speaker built into the seating. To a kid, riding in a backseat (sans seatbelts) that was big enough to stretch completely out and go to sleep in...this car was some kind of superhero's vehicle. It helped that with the sharp "fin" styling of the late 50's/early-mid 60's, it actually did look like a Batmobile. It gleamed with chrome and sharp edges, and the front always looked a little like the face of a slumbering robot, ready to awaken and wreak unholy vengeance on the world.

And with 385 horses, you could wreak some serious vengeance. We once went out for milk, and were stopped at a stoplight when some teenagers in a Trans Am pulled up and laughed and pointed (the paint was chipped, the chrome pitted, and the vinyl top was shredded into strips that flapped in the breeze). My grandfather simply looked ahead for several seconds, then quietly said, "Hold on to something."

When the light turned green, I felt my stomach wind up somewhere in the trunk. I would have loved to seen their faces, had I been able to turn my head.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:51:43 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 04:21:09 am »

Most likely.

Now, while at the moment I drive and love my 04 CTS, if I ever got the money, expertise, and time to deal with getting my dream car, it'd be none other than the incomparable Grand National.

Classic American muscle, right there.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 [2]