Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294302 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #11280 on: August 30, 2012, 02:19:51 pm »

I play nomadic all the time and never run into issues. The thing about being nomadic is that you have to be selective in wlhat you bring. Like do you really need more than one container of x pills? Are you incredibly unlikely to find more before you've used them all?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11281 on: August 30, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »

I gather most every type of things that are nessecary in the game and I hit the limit all the time, before even taking into account crafting materials, items, weapons, gear that you equip and then is considered a part of the item limit [which, by the end of me playing consists of alot of items, 10+ not counting the ones that add nothing to encumbrance]. I typically hit about 30 items before I'm even worrying about weaponry or crafting or long term food survivability.

I'm just tired of only picking up one or two types of kinds of items [such as foods] because I know if I get variant with it I'll fill my imaginary inventory limit before I know it. I just hate feeling gamey all the time for worrying specifically about only getting stackable items.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:25:57 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11282 on: August 30, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »

I've never hit the item limit, and that includes adding in tents, entrenching tools, fishing rods, fish and a shitload of other items to carry around with me.
My cabbages!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11283 on: August 30, 2012, 02:30:12 pm »

Well I do appreciate your input, but this is the main issue in the game now and it needs to change. An imaginary number limit to items shouldn't be in any roguelike, especially one based on survival and travel. And henceforth item gathering. If I have a backpack and I'm a body builder; I should not be limited by an arbitrary number like the amount of keys on my keyboard. That's just silly.

I'm a lover of ridiculous and hard systems, but this one [once again, imaginary] limit is just silly and should change. It's not forcing inventory management [which is the job of weight limits and volume limits], because I do know what that consists of and dropping a pill bottle to pick up a damn jackhammer shouldn't be forced on the player.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11284 on: August 30, 2012, 03:01:42 pm »

I've hit the item limit before even on characters without very high strength.

I don't buy into the notion that an arbitrary item limit shouldn't belong in any roguelike; that's as ridiculous as assuming every roguelike does need one. However, Cataclysm already limits you based on both the weight and the volume of the items you carry, so I don't see why a slot limit is necessary at all or how it adds anything to the game.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11285 on: August 30, 2012, 03:07:52 pm »

However, I'm wondering if there are any easy solutions to the item cap. We are already using all the letters, so what else will we use?
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11286 on: August 30, 2012, 03:11:51 pm »

ßëéèêäáàâíìîïüúùûóôòöå®þøðæ©ñµ, obviously.
That means an extra 30 items :)
edit: And another 20 capitals of course.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11287 on: August 30, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »

alt+a-Z, as said before.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11288 on: August 30, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »

simply remove the silly item # limit and attribute letter assignments to items only while they're being shown on the screen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11289 on: August 30, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »

As suggested above, only have letters assigned to items that are in the current page of your inventory. Dividing the inventory into different tabs as per the current divisions, with a full set of 'a-Z' + 'alt + a-Z' for each section would work as well, if it is possible. So you could have a maximum of 104 of any given category of item, assuming you had the strength/volume capacity to carry it. So you could have 104 different stacks of comestables, 104 different types of ammunition, etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11290 on: August 30, 2012, 09:41:55 pm »

Apparently the rational for the item limit is to represent the fact that after a certain point, you forget which pocket/pouch/sack you put something in.

And yeah, it's very very easy to hit it, and I run out of letters more often then I run out of space or weight.

IMO, it's not needed - weight and volume alone should be balanced to limit how much you carry. Weight in particular could be rebalanced because I almost never hit the weight limit, and because it's a very soft cap (just a little over weight it not too bad). Remove the raw item cap (control a-z and alt a-z, doubled right there), lower the weight allowed per str point, tweak as needed from there and it would be perfect.

Or instead, maybe a compromise - packrat could be changed. Instead of allowing 40% more space, it should give access to a new set of inventory (say, control a-z) so you can carry 50% more raw items. it hardly makes sense that someone can jam 40% more cans of beans in a backpack, on the other hand a packrat would have more experience keeping track of stuff so he would be able to have more items before he lost track.

Either way would make me happy.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11291 on: August 30, 2012, 09:54:27 pm »

Using the control keys would be a bad idea. On my OS anyway, Ctrl+Z dumps you out of the current application instantly.
My cabbages!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11292 on: September 05, 2012, 02:03:28 am »

I found an item called "none" on a dead NPC.

Wat.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #11293 on: September 05, 2012, 02:10:29 am »

Wat.

It's a glitch.

Also, I was randomly infected with fungus and my arms exploded for no reason.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11294 on: September 05, 2012, 04:09:03 am »

Wat.

It's a glitch.

Also, I was randomly infected with fungus and my arms exploded for no reason.

That will happen, its not a bug, royal jelly will cure fungus by memory.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.
Pages: 1 ... 751 752 [753] 754 755 ... 777