Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294180 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10905 on: July 28, 2012, 11:11:45 am »

I pretty much fulltime use messenger bags now. Wolfy lowered the encumberance to 1, and the storage a bit as well I think.
*Hugs*

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10906 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:45 am »

what do spiral stones do, anyways?
Dunno; so hidden Fun stuff, probably.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10907 on: July 28, 2012, 11:52:15 am »

Whenever I cheat in a crossbow, it crashes when I try to fire the crossbow. It is unloaded, because I keep forgetting to load.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10908 on: July 28, 2012, 11:52:37 am »

Yea honestly I have no idea what they do either.  But I know I found some more at the end of what is usually a very dangerous place, so I'm guessing they are supposed to be really hard to find.

Try dropping the crossbow after you spawn it and picking it up again.  Used to be there were a few bugs related to wish spawning, and dropping the item to put it in your inventory normally used to be a good way of clearing it up.  Worth a shot.  The game might also be freaking out at a huge bolt stack if you spawned those as well.  iirc wish spawns a stack of 100 bolts, when normally they don't stack above 10 or 15.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:55:09 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10909 on: July 28, 2012, 11:53:31 am »

People say to just wear alot of holsters and cargo pants, not backpacks because they encumber too much.
I once found a fucking broadsword in a pawn shop.
I think gun stores can have alarms, and if you dont kill the eyebots youre pretty much screwed.

Liqour stores are good for morale, its easy to find alcohol and it gives a good morale boost.
You can wear two of many things, but too many things on a body part will still encumber you. There is a proper list on the wiki somewhere for avoiding backpacks.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10910 on: July 28, 2012, 12:34:07 pm »

I seem to have come across the most massive downside of living in a mobile vehicle-camp. The driving skill eats most of my xp. Mod time! :D

Turning down the xp driving allocates to the driving skill can be done in game.cpp, in the "pldrive" function by modifying
 if (x != 0 && veh->velocity != 0 && one_in(4))
by changing the one_in parameter (4 by default) to a larger number.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:38:34 pm by alway »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10911 on: July 28, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

I pretty much fulltime use messenger bags now. Wolfy lowered the encumberance to 1, and the storage a bit as well I think.

Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with that. Messenger bags are difficult to use compared to backpacks or fanny packs. I know, I've used both extensively.

If you want tot roll your own windows or linux version, instructions are here: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=86.0  Make sure with windows that you select the "shell" option when installing MinGW. Whales does make a windows compile when he updates. You only really need to compile yourself if modding.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:44:09 pm by BigD145 »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10912 on: July 28, 2012, 12:57:58 pm »

Having used both extensively as well, I must disagree most heartfeltly. Messenger bags may not be a 1, but they're certainly easier to move around with than backpacks.
Love, scriver~

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10913 on: July 28, 2012, 12:58:22 pm »

He's also used both extensively :P
And as for compiling, it's much easier to just use the included .cbp file and use the IDE itself to compile rather than fucking around with shell commands.
*Hugs*

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10914 on: July 28, 2012, 01:21:35 pm »

I am practising driving using a motorcycle I cheated in. The car I was using crashed into a forest. I also managed to actually kill a horde of regulars, but with a katana and military gear.
My tumblr.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10915 on: July 28, 2012, 01:46:11 pm »

Having used both extensively as well, I must disagree most heartfeltly. Messenger bags may not be a 1, but they're certainly easier to move around with than backpacks.

Messenger bags are easier to get into while moving, but they tend to shift around too much even when worn properly. With the newer chest strap thingie on backpacks nowadays a backpack doesn't shift as much. I find it much easier to wear a backpack while riding a bicycle and walking very fast. I'm 6'4" and my legs get me around very quickly but I move my body more and end up using an arm to steady a heavy messenger bag. A backpack distributes the weight better and all on both shoulders versus one shoulder. I see "encumberment" as a few different factors rolled into one.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10916 on: July 28, 2012, 01:51:27 pm »

What exactly does an internal engine do? Also, my game crashed after sleeping in the same spot twice.
My tumblr.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #10917 on: July 28, 2012, 02:08:39 pm »

I'd have to agree with a proper backpack having less encumbrance than a messenger bag. I don't know if I've "used both extensively" but I went to college 6 years with a messenger bag to carry my books in, and have gone on a few hikes with backpacks. The messenger bag is great for carrying something short distances with stops in between (great for a college environment going between classes), but would suck for long distance treks. I couldn't see myself lugging around a messenger bag on a hike. The backpack is more difficult to put on and take off, but it distributes the weight a lot better and makes it easier to move with the weight and to carry the load over a distance.

If I got in a fight wearing a backpack against someone unencumbered I'd probably be in trouble, but if I got in a fight carrying a messenger bag and didn't want to drop it for some reason I'd probably be even worse off (in reality if I was getting in a life or death fight that I couldn't run from while carrying a messenger bag I'd probably sling it at them and then fight unencumbered by it and pick it up once it's done, but cataclysm doesn't really model that).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10918 on: July 28, 2012, 02:43:23 pm »

A fast and shocker just attacked me in my sleep. All I had was a screwdriver, rock, and 2 steak knives. Throwing and dodge are now level one. Looted some caffiene pills. Hope flashlight didn't attract zombies.
My tumblr.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10919 on: July 28, 2012, 03:57:54 pm »

So I hadn't played since...January, I think. Since that's around the last time Prospector updated and I went through updating all my games.

Got a car for the very first time, figured I'd make one myself but I had no idea how to at the time. There was so much added and changed from the last time I played it became quite overwhelming. So after talking to an NPC that actually appeared to get maddened after I demanded sweet loot I walked on out of my evac shelter and straight towards one of them newfangled fancypants Sewage Treatment facilities or whatever. It had a parking lot containing a single car. With no driving skill whatsoever, I begin cruising down the road towards town. Along the way I stop by a crater, grab some metal, a pipe, and a rock, smack myself a crowbar, and brain a pair of zombies. Then the acid rain started, so I got back into my neato car and cruised through town looking for a good place to break into and loot. I found a Megamart, also new to me, and floored it straight into the wall.

Now in hindsight, that may not have been the best move, as it did lead to my death.

However, before I died I reversed out of the gaping maw of the beast that was the Megamart in time to see a good, oh, bazillion or so zombies pour forth. I assume the roof was damaged in the wreck, since while I was redecorating my hood with corpse flesh I was also getting burned by the acid rain. The car eventually dies and the zombies swarmed. In what was quite possibly my greatest moment in Cataclysm (I'm pretty bad at the game, and most roguelikes, to be quite honest) I hop out of the car and into the acid rain, bashing zombie brains as I fought into the Megamart, where I managed to dispose of another half dozen zombies while they surrounded and overwhelmed me.

I ended with 58 Zombie kills, which is quite an improvement on my usual five or six.
Pages: 1 ... 726 727 [728] 729 730 ... 777