Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294438 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10800 on: July 26, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »

Steel plating is the best I can find.  Chunks and lumps of metal seem to be impossible for me to find to make anything better.  What few helicopter crashes I found only contained frames.  And turrets seem to be too dangerous for what few pieces they give.

But yea, a ^ piece of steel plated frame.

The thing actually came out of that basically untouched.  Only the steel plate on the front took any damage at all.  Other than my now shattered eyeglasses, safety glasses, army helmet and bones of course.
Try breaking into banks. That triggers the robocops to come; find a corner so they come is really close, then blast with a shotgun for 1-shot kills (assuming you are decent with a shotgun and have something other than birdshot). They drop quite a lot of chunks and lumps of metal, and so long as you take them out as soon as they round the corner, you can fill a vehicle pretty quick. Plus the added benefit of tons of electronics parts. Beats taunting the turrets in any case.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:30:54 pm by alway »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10801 on: July 26, 2012, 04:27:09 pm »

I never thought about the robocops.  And I think I have just about every conventional gun in the game in my base right now, so I'm bound to have a shotgun and ammo.  Hell I even have a flamethrower and broadsword.  But don't robots explode?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10802 on: July 26, 2012, 04:28:18 pm »

Yeah, but it's not a very big explosion, and I don't think there's any shrapnel, so if you're a few tiles away you should be golden.
*Hugs*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10803 on: July 26, 2012, 04:33:34 pm »

My kevlar vest will save me!  *shrapnel to face*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10804 on: July 26, 2012, 04:50:06 pm »

I seem to recall only minor damage during my extended excursion; despite most of them being 1 tile away from me on detonation. Bring some bandages/first aid and you should be just fine. They seem to be rather slow to react too, so it's fairly safe to dart into their view to pull them towards you. Best bet is probably to drill in or come in through a window in the back, as from my experience they all tended to come from the street. The camera bots are what call them to the place, so if you kill those, more won't spawn.

On another note; only a few more days until my baby is complete.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Needs more plating and machetes, but I will get those on my journeys. The Bandwagon shall be my mobile camp; just have to install 4 more boxes on those 4 exposed boards and it will be ready. As a side note, the 2 boxes there are mounted on boards; so the back side is fairly well sealed. The wheels up front are an opening, but will probably serve as my primary exits anyway. :P
Then I shall hop on The Bandwagon and leave the stinking hell-pit my cave has become. Hulks have been showing up on my doorstep, sometimes two at once, with their frequency increasing alarmingly. As you can see, it will have 7 boxes and 6 trunks when complete; 6 of those boxes being easily accessible from outside the vehicle.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:45:56 pm by alway »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10805 on: July 26, 2012, 08:05:34 pm »

Why do I see that as a modified ice cream truck for some reason?

Seems pretty awesome though. sounds like those board boxes would be useful as loot dropoffs,  Drop stuff in there when in town so you don't have to walk all the way around when in a hot zone, sort it all into their proper trunks at night in the safety of the wilderness.

That seems like the kind of vehicle I would think of somebody doing a "travel to the edge of the world" challenge in.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10806 on: July 26, 2012, 08:41:08 pm »

I just had one of those a moment ago.  Fortunately I keep rope in my car.  Every single down staircase in that lab ended halfway down.  And I used up every coil of rope I had.

However I also had a digging bionic, and dug to a lab I already explored that was adjacent in 2 turns, rendering it moot.  I hope you find a construction bionic before you starve!  (That is of course assuming there's anything close enough to dig to before you run out of barracks clothing.)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10807 on: July 26, 2012, 08:59:36 pm »

Vroom vroom, baby. Wanna hop on while I take you for a ride?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10808 on: July 26, 2012, 09:10:54 pm »

What's next, Hando? :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10809 on: July 26, 2012, 09:48:19 pm »

Well then, now that I installed all 341 updates my Ubuntu install wanted, hopefully my Ubuntu will stop locking up. >_<

Thank the Whales almighty that there is autosave, heh. Would have had to put half a dozen boxes back on The Bandwagon otherwise. :)

Edit: The Bandwagon is now ready for my journey!
Unfortunately, I'm something of an obsessive hoarder, and so those boxes and trunks are about 80% full. >_>
And that's only after leaving behind all this in my cave:
There are dozens of stacks of miscellaneous ammo in there along with metric craptons of electronic shit.
Which are now burning.

And now to bid farewell to my trenches, which have kept me alive despite numerous hordes of attackers; now clogged with the corpses of the twice dead, in some cases to overflowing...
*hops on The Bandwagon*
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 10:51:54 pm by alway »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10810 on: July 26, 2012, 11:04:59 pm »

alway rides off into the sunset on the bandwagon, the zombies not knowing when or if the delicious stranger will ever return.  As the zombies turn back to their business and the bandwagon fades out of view, there is a faint flash of light, and the sound of a far off minefield detonating.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10811 on: July 26, 2012, 11:07:17 pm »

alway rides off into the sunset on the bandwagon, the zombies not knowing when or if the delicious stranger will ever return.  As the zombies turn back to their business and the bandwagon fades out of view, there is a faint flash of light, and the sound of a far off minefield detonating.
No, just the sound of hundreds of giant worms in pursuit. D:
I've manage to hit at least 4 now. And I just got done skewering a shocker zombie on the front blade; 1662 damage at 28 mph. :D

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10812 on: July 27, 2012, 03:11:22 am »

Awesome. You could probably drive straight trough a house with that.
I dont recommend it tough.

Mayby savescum and try, just for the lulz?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10813 on: July 27, 2012, 03:17:48 am »

I doubt it's save compatible though.

Should be, all the lighting is dynamically generated per turn (which is where the 5-10% overhead comes from) so the save file should have been unaffected. That said I tended to create new characters.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10814 on: July 27, 2012, 09:04:54 am »

Awesome. You could probably drive straight trough a house with that.
I dont recommend it tough.

Mayby savescum and try, just for the lulz?
Needs more armor first. :P
Pages: 1 ... 719 720 [721] 722 723 ... 777