Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294536 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10725 on: July 21, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »

Eyesight does not work that way.  There's two types of cells used in the eye.  One is used in daylight to see color and fine detail.  The other is used in night time, and it can't do color or detail as well, but it does pick up light more easily, so it's easier to see vague shapes.  Getting more, or more sensitive cone cells won't give you sharper vision, it'll give you vague vision through less light.

BUT considering "mutations" then we can handwave a little.  You're able to see a lot of detail with Night Vision, implying that you've mutated more sensitive rod cells and thus more acute color and detail vision in low light settings.  After all, animals traditionally use cone cells to see at night, but when you're mutating then tradition is ignored.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: July 21, 2012, 07:22:22 pm »

BUT considering "mutations" then we can handwave a little.  You're able to see a lot of detail with Night Vision, implying that you've mutated more sensitive rod cells and thus more acute color and detail vision in low light settings.  After all, animals traditionally use cone cells to see at night, but when you're mutating then tradition is ignored.

daylight must be very, very fucking painful then for the first few days after the mutation.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: July 21, 2012, 07:28:14 pm »

And all days after that, really.  Daylight stops hurting because your eyes adjust (dilated) or because they're damaged (the cones were destroyed).  So if daylight stops hurting the eyes of a night-vision creature, it's because they've gone blind.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:35 pm »

I have a Winnebago in mind. The older style. It will not have wheel or an engine to simulate rotted wheels and dead engine. Maybe even a rusted out gas tank. The shell will be fine, perhaps minus intact windows. It won't be common but it will be a fixable wreck.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: July 22, 2012, 02:03:41 pm »

I have a Winnebago in mind. The older style. It will not have wheel or an engine to simulate rotted wheels and dead engine. Maybe even a rusted out gas tank. The shell will be fine, perhaps minus intact windows. It won't be common but it will be a fixable wreck.
Will it have Hyper-Active mode?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cane1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: July 22, 2012, 02:56:56 pm »

Dont forget the liquid schwartz :P

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: July 22, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »

If I could install a stereo in the back that spammed me with Raise Your Hands, I would be very, very happy.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: July 22, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »

Will it have Hyper-Active mode?  :P

Geeze, now I guess I have to rename it either Eagles or Eagle5. Good going, people.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:58:54 pm by BigD145 »

Cane1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: July 23, 2012, 12:10:47 am »

Yay!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: July 23, 2012, 01:07:55 am »

So after spending 6 in-game days sitting inside the starting evac shelter, cheating my way to a modestly large custom 5x6 vehicle, and wanting it to be as durable as possible, i've come to the conclusion that large vehicles just arn't worth the time and materials ... to fully armor. Why? Literally chewing through 3 1/2 fully charged welders to create the vehicle, but then 3 more welders to armor plate everything. The mass of the vehicle basically doubled, and the K-x%'s dropped like crazy.

If you have to armor a vehicle:
1. Prioritize armor to areas that will be hit by impacts the most. Usually, this is the front and all external wheels. Internal areas that don't have components shouldn't need armor, or should be armored last.
2. Glass windows do not seem to be safe against impacts. Building an impact zone in front of your windows out of frames and armor plates, instead of plating the tile with the window directly. These frames will get hit first, and the glass will last longer.
3. Go under 30 while on a bridge even with considerable driving skill. Hitting zombies can cause control loss, and vehicles are deleted entirely when their base tile (the tile you started the vehicle construction on) hits the deep water tiles that surround bridges. I learned this the hard way for the second time after my cheat-vehicle above fell victim to this.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:01 am »

I knew this before even messing with vehicles and I'm glad vehicles are done the way they are. Vehicles have high upkeep. They can be fun tools in a survival game, but be prepared to let it go and walk everywhere. Or just make a motorcycle for those quick jaunts between cities or to escape impending triffids because you didn't see that triffid heart on the map. Bicycles will be a less time consuming alternative if they ever get implemented.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: July 23, 2012, 10:04:58 am »

I knew this before even messing with vehicles and I'm glad vehicles are done the way they are. Vehicles have high upkeep. They can be fun tools in a survival game, but be prepared to let it go and walk everywhere. Or just make a motorcycle for those quick jaunts between cities or to escape impending triffids because you didn't see that triffid heart on the map. Bicycles will be a less time consuming alternative if they ever get implemented.
Foot power. Based on Str, possibly key it to total carry weight for things like Bad Back. If no engine is installed, players can try to use their feet to push the vehicle from inside it. Optimally, we will be able to tame dinosaurs and let them use the sunroof to carry babies. If a "silly" mode is ever implemented, foot power would be = to a 2.5L engine, but only when barefoot.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: July 23, 2012, 11:14:10 am »

Ok now that the Guild Wars 2 beta weekend is over I'm back to my character and I noticed something during a mad dash from my car to my base.

I'm not taking any damage from acid rain.  None at all.  Ran at least 10 tiles all with the acid pouring down.

Known bug? Side effect of the scales mutation?

Also as a little aside it seems building a roof over downward stairs disables the stairs.  Just as a warning for folks modifying any place with a single tile stairway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: July 23, 2012, 11:16:05 am »

It occurs to me that a car that has minimal/no boards on it and is large could make a viable mobile trap. Do zombies attacking/moving through a stationary car take damage from mounted machetes/spikes?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: July 23, 2012, 11:21:37 am »

Someone should make Dead Reckoning from Land of the Dead :D
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 777