Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294808 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10545 on: July 16, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »

Pfft, I always start with android perk. :)

My first cataclysm character had an alcohol-powered finger-laser. "Take a shot... then take a shot."
My first really successful one had retracting adamantium claws. Dunno why anyone wouldn't take android perk to start with. :D

So yeah, I've got battery powered system; which will be quite adequate due to the million and a half flashlights rolling around my cave.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:11:04 pm by alway »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: July 16, 2012, 07:10:44 pm »

Because I always get metal plates that encumber my torso, arms, legs, etc. And that's a lot of points that could be spent on stats.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: July 16, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »

Altough there's litteraly no penalty for having multiple power source CBMs, with the exception of metabolical exchange, which sucks, and alcohol burner, which requires another CBM to be used without penalty, but becomes really efficient once you have it.

And the only reason I don't take the android ones is that I like to save points for fast reader and fast learner, which help a lot :o
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: July 16, 2012, 07:12:44 pm »

Because I always get metal plates that encumber my torso, arms, legs, etc. And that's a lot of points that could be spent on stats.

Well yeah, but those ones don't live long enough for me to care, hehe. Metabolic exchange is a nasty one though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: July 16, 2012, 07:13:41 pm »

Because I keep getting stuck with metabolics and cranial flashlight, or some other shit. I'm like, "Yeah, that's what I want.  I want to be the only thing the zombies can see at night time, and I want to starve myself while doing so!"

Come to think of it, I could probably do some modding and make sure that Android always gives you something neat.  Isn't it a 5-point perk?  Seems a huge gamble for potentially shit.  Or utilize the new interface for picking karate moves, except let you pick bionics.

Worst I'd heard of, guy started with a blaster arm.  Not enough power to use it, and now he can only use one-handed items!  That one would really hurt.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: July 16, 2012, 07:19:24 pm »

3 or 4 perk I think.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: July 16, 2012, 07:23:29 pm »

Aye, you should be able to choose which one you start with. Its just a huge ammount of points to get something which you'll get later anyway, except without any choice.
I sort of like the armor ones though. I've been wanting to make a mega cyborg-y character but its really hard to get your hands on anything that isn't CBM:Power Sources, CBM: Utilities or CBM: Internal Battery. Some others should be more readily availiable, like CBM: Hazmat, which you only ocasionaly find on dead scientists. I think only the really good or niche ones, like super soldier and ranged combat should be reserved for military bunkers and special labs, while the others should be more readily availiable like those 3.

Also, even when you do actualy get into bunkers, there's only a slight chance there will be CBMs there, and sometimes CBM-Labs have nothing or just the regular CBMs in their vault, which is guarded by robots.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:25:49 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: July 16, 2012, 07:30:12 pm »

Aye, you should be able to choose which one you start with. Its just a huge ammount of points to get something which you'll get later anyway, except without any choice.
I sort of like the armor ones though. I've been wanting to make a mega cyborg-y character but its really hard to get your hands on anything that isn't CBM:Power Sources, CBM: Utilities or CBM: Internal Battery. Some others should be more readily availiable, like CBM: Hazmat, which you only ocasionaly find on dead scientists. I think only the really good or niche ones, like super soldier and ranged combat should be reserved for military bunkers and special labs, while the others should be more readily availiable like those 3.

Also, even when you do actualy get into bunkers, there's only a slight chance there will be CBMs there, and sometimes CBM-Labs have nothing or just the regular CBMs in their vault, which is guarded by robots.
I advise searching for wreckage of military vehicles; like I said before, I found 5 CBMs in a single wreck: 1 utility, 1 melee combat, 1 ranged combat, 1 desert survival, 1 hazmat. Dunno how rare those wrecks are, but in searching a medium and large town, I've found a couple wrecks; though they usually only have 1 or 2 CBMs. Finding CBMs in the wild is just a matter of patience and covering lots of ground.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: July 16, 2012, 07:44:03 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jggbrp0s5fxmwuo/RkBK55UZ4O

How would I change this on the windows version? I remember it has something to do with a typo in the spawn locations, but I can't find anything more about it.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10554 on: July 16, 2012, 07:58:46 pm »

So what is a good strategy for designing a character? Stick with 8 stats and buy tons of skills? Upgrade stats and get minimal skills? Bulk up on perks?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10555 on: July 16, 2012, 07:59:36 pm »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: July 16, 2012, 08:04:41 pm »

So what is a good strategy for designing a character? Stick with 8 stats and buy tons of skills? Upgrade stats and get minimal skills? Bulk up on perks?
Personally, I put 10 in each stat, taking a couple disadvantages (forget which ones exactly), get Quick and another advantage (again, can't remember exactly), and then putting a single point into a combat skill like dodge or firearms.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: July 16, 2012, 08:10:21 pm »

Cruising around with lawmowers on my everything is so fun it should be illegal, of course, they tend to break very easily when you're intentionally running into everything that moves :P
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: July 16, 2012, 08:15:32 pm »

14 Int - it lets you read books a lot easier and increases the rate in which you gain skills without books.
Nearsighted, Insomniac, Heavy Sleeper - these are practically freebies but will bite you if you're careless.
Quick, Packmule, Fast Reader - these are nice for a new player, but not vital for experienced players.
Light Eater, Quick Learner, Inconspicuous - these are a bit less helpful to new players, but many experienced players find them vital.
Schizophrenic, Mood Swings, Chemical Imbalance - pick these if you want to play "hardcore mode".
Addictive Personality, Trigger Finger, Weak Stomach - can be free points depending on how you play, but may cripple you.
Strength - Melee is silent and windows are common, no reloading either, but you're generally low on storage.
Perception - Guns are loud, but handguns are point-blank are fatal and rifles will one-shot most anything.  Wear two backpacks for massive storage.
Dex - It helps, but not greatly.
Skills - One point in Dodge is really all you need, and that's optional.  You can learn all skills through practice, no need to waste points!

You'll notice that I focus more on bad traits than good traits.  If you have more bad points than good points, then you can get better stats, giving you better int and better str/per.

Most importantly though, find MP3 player, find TONS of batteries, and find tequila.  You only gain skill when you have exp, and you only get exp through having morale.  MP3 players are essentially free morale, and tequila is a massive morale booster, take shots two at a time once or twice a day to avoid addiction.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: July 16, 2012, 08:22:05 pm »

Truth Teller is a freebie I use. Hardly bother talking to NPCs anyway; I never lie to them.
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 777