Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295211 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10395 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »

Finally found a backpack, after an entire day, a bee hive, some wolves and two towns.
Cargo vests, holsters, and army pants will keep you less encumbered.
Yeah, I don't bother with backpacks anymore. The encumberment isn't worth it. Army or cargo pants, utility vest, and whatever free storage I find (holster, fanny pack). That, shoes, fingerless gloves, and the best head-only helmet is what I wear.

In my experience, up close with a spitter or a shocker is just asking to die. What I hate more than anything are skeletons. Just because they're harder than balls to hit with a gun, and when you manage to kill it...nothing.
Really? I've had no problems with them, and I'm rather new to this game. Don't step into the dangerous tiles, get adjacent to them, and beat them to redeath. Skeletons are just a bit tougher than normal zombies.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: July 12, 2012, 01:10:34 pm »

Unless spitters/shockers/skeletons were beefed up in the last 1 or 2 updates, I've never had problems with them either. A couple of points into melee and a hammer or baseball bat is usually all I've needed to take care of them; they seem to go down as easy as regular Zs, as long as you dodge their projectiles.

Now, you go messing with hulks or brutes, that's trouble.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: July 12, 2012, 01:33:07 pm »

Yeah, I don't bother with backpacks anymore. The encumberment isn't worth it. Army or cargo pants, utility vest, and whatever free storage I find (holster, fanny pack). That, shoes, fingerless gloves, and the best head-only helmet is what I wear.

Do you take packrat with that? I always find I run out of space very quickly
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: July 12, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »

I'm running a game with no packrat, 2x vests (for now), skirt, and holster.  Using a truck as main inventory, but now that I've found a welder, solar panel, electric engine, and storage battery, I'm going to rip the truck down and rebuild an armored electric bike.

It's really easy to stay lightweight once you realize that it's ok to leave things behind.  The world is infinite.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: July 12, 2012, 01:48:43 pm »

Do you take packrat with that? I always find I run out of space very quickly
No. What's there to carry? One or two units of food and drink, painkillers, maybe a bit of first aid, then whatever you find that you want to bring back. It's not like I need to carry around an entire construction set, or five weapons.

I'm going to rip the truck down and rebuild an armored electric bike.
That sounds awesome.
Does the battery store enough from the solar panel to be able to travel at night? I've never used either, so I don't know how they work.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: July 12, 2012, 01:58:56 pm »

Thank you Merchant. EDIT: Says I can't cd to Cataclysm
If you're already in the cataclysm directory, you don't need to do the cd part
*Hugs*

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: July 12, 2012, 02:05:47 pm »

Well great. Damn NPC corrupted my entire game world. There go my two other characters too.

I wear two backpacks when I do nightly scavenging just so I can grab everything minorly useful, and the kitchen sink too.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: July 12, 2012, 02:08:54 pm »

I'm not sure about the exact storage of the battery, but I've only got the small version of electric engine.  It won't get anywhere quickly, but with a muffler added it'll be pretty much entirely silent.  I'll be looking through more stores trying to find more storage, mainly.  It's not just "will it drive at night" but also "will it drive during a drizzle" after all.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10403 on: July 12, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »

You'll have go at least three wide and three long if you want a tile of "indoor" to keep out of the rain. This has the added benefit of more storage points. Maybe stay on the lookout for a large electric engine, although I have yet to spot one in the wild. I have seen a few electric engines. Where was the solar panel?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: July 12, 2012, 02:44:28 pm »

Solar panels occur in electronics stores - IF you've modded it.  Gremour accidentally made solar panels, storage batteries, and motors in the item group "mi_electronics" - these spawn in missile silos mainly.  They should be in "mi_consumer_electronics" - this is the group of items that spawn in electronics stores.

Installing solar panels takes 6 in electronics.  I modded my game to make that 3.  I can upload this if people want.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: July 12, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »

Do solar panels receive no power while it's cloudy, or reduced power?

Unrelated, but are messenger bags better in any way than backpacks? They seem to be distinctly worse, and less common.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: July 12, 2012, 02:48:04 pm »

Solar panels work on the weather system, which was already in place for the bionic of solar panels.  If there is a roof above you, then it doesn't work.  If it's cloudy, rainy, drizzle, thunderstorm, lightningstorm, acid drizzle, or acid rain, then solar panels don't work.

As you can imagine, storage batteries will become extremely important for electric cars, as will stored UPS's.  A UPS can store 1,000 battery, and you can "U"nload them to get the batteries back and refill the car's storage battery.  So it's worthwhile to carry some battery power in case the weather hates you.

The very rare "mini reactor" takes plutonium to provide electric power to a vehicle, so if you happen upon a stock of plutonium and a reactor it'll last you for a while.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: July 12, 2012, 02:57:04 pm »

I've only got the small version of electric engine.  It won't get anywhere quickly, but with a muffler added it'll be pretty much entirely silent.

Muffler on an electric?  Sounds like it is in need of bugfixing.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: July 12, 2012, 03:12:02 pm »

I have a problem with cloudy not letting solar work. They're not nearly as efficient, but they do still work. Sunlight doesn't cut out completely when a cloud goes overhead. You should at least get a 1/4 charge when cloudy.

Batteries: empty every flashlight and radio you find. Worst case scenario you use the batteries for your welder.

I assume you're using this modded version from Creidieki or something similar: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=1436.0
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:18:24 pm by BigD145 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: July 12, 2012, 03:18:08 pm »

I generally store UPSs just like that.  Run through an electronics store emptying all the batteries, and if I'm working on CBM batteries then I'll start crafting batteries and radios into bionics.
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 777