Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295314 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10185 on: July 02, 2012, 08:28:03 pm »

All NPCs I meet ask me to do a favour then mysteriously disappear. The map points me to their supposed location but they're never there, and I cant seem to be able to learn any martial art with them, they just keep asking me to do stuff then disappear. Otherwise they just flee from me.
I haven't been attacked by one yet, even though I have the ugly trait and all, altough the only mutation I have is forked tongue, which I'm still wondering how I got, since I havent got close to any radioactive area or drank any mutagens.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10186 on: July 02, 2012, 08:54:47 pm »

Same. I've randomly gotten Herbivore and other things in Defense Mode before...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: July 02, 2012, 10:17:41 pm »

I think ruins (ergo, the big areas of rubble in buildings and so on) give off very light radiation. Not sure, though.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10188 on: July 03, 2012, 12:29:10 am »

Ruins can indeed give off radiation.

Another "should've done this stuff before releasing" update  ::)

Clean build NOT required.  Saves from earlier versions of this update ARE compatible.

Windows executable: http://whalesdev.com/cataclysm.zip
Linux executable: http://whalesdev.com/cataclysm.tar.bz2

• Sick of NPCs?  You can turn them off by putting no_npc.txt into the data folder.  no_npc.txt can have stuff in it, or not, it doesn't matter.  I really recommend (and appreciate!) keeping them on, but I thought it'd be nice to have the option to turn them off.
  • NPC spawn rates halved.  NPC spawn rate decreases faster than before (controlled by number of existing NPCs).
  • NPCs will turn on debug mode less often.  This isn't a "bandaid fix;" the underlying bugs that caused them to put the game into "figure out what went wrong" mode have been fixed.
  • NPCs are braver.
  • NPCs are very likely to talk now, and not likely to instantly flee.
  • NPCs value ammo for a gun they're carrying as much as they value ammo for a gun they're wielding.
  • NPCs will fire from further away.
  • NPCs, for now, will ignore other friendly NPCs when figuring out the chance of friendly fire--they only care about the player, now.
  • Bug that caused chatting to have no effect fixed.
  • Messages added when an NPC flees or turns hostile during dialogue.
  • Removed "Unknown key" message for hitting spacebar, enter, and escape.
  • Removed some debug messages when you load an existing world.
  • Added a new debug function which allows you to check key values about a nearby NPC.
  • NPCs spawned via the debug menu are spawned exactly the same as normal wandering NPCs.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:31:43 am by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10189 on: July 03, 2012, 12:36:06 am »

I don't care how much of a mutant you are, if you punch someone holding a shotgun you are essentially hitting the Quit button.

haha
thanks for the update :D

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: July 03, 2012, 01:38:13 am »

Are monsters suppose to wipe out people in the first 10 seconds ingame? Cause I just came across a group of dead people with guns, vests, etc and no sign of a fight, but a monster to the north.

Unless I suck at reading the game.

-edit-

And I got a gun + 50 bullets. I am so gonna die.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:40:25 am by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: July 03, 2012, 01:41:51 am »

Those are just dead soldiers randomy generated in fields and such. They're a good source of armor and weaponry.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10192 on: July 03, 2012, 01:56:27 am »

Very eager to play, just waiting for the awesome genius that is Deon to update his graphical pack!
You have to ask the grandmaster Gremour (the guy who has made the vehicle mod) to update the source, I only made the tiles! Please read the credits :P.

Then I'm going to find him and ask him to do just that! :)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10193 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:39 am »

Using the latest version from a few posts ago, after exploring a lot to finally find a gun, i went all the way back to the original shelter to ask the NPC there to come with me, to my surprise the NPC accepted (my original attempt was meeting a negative answer), i guess having a rifle helps negociating :D

Anyways, i asked the NPC to help train as my rifle skill was rather low, and the guy replied that it wasn't safe here (the original shelter) , having no idea what the game consider "safe" , i replied "lead the way", and followed the NPC for a very long distance to the north west, no idea where it was going as the whole thing was unexplored.

At some point we ran into a group of nasty zombies. With the low skill in rifle i understood it wasn't going to end very well missing every shots is not really helping, so i decided to just run away, a spitter decided to spit, i had to accept to walk on a tile with the ugly substance being on it, while the NPC decided it was a good idea to go fight 2 brutes (despite i set the battle command for it only to fight to save his life).

The brutes hit the NPC on the head 2 times (unless it was the 2 brutes landing each an attack) and the game just froze there without error message, i just had to kill the process.

I don't know if it froze at the time the 2 brutes hit the NPC or when i walked on the bad tile, my character at the time was in intense pain (walked on a landmine much earlier and covered myself in bandages and used all my first aid , and a few aspirins) if it can be of any hint.

Oh and a question about the vehicles.
At some points of my explorations i ran into a truck , climbed in it and started it.
Then i pressed left to start turning it (and the truck visually started turning) to get into the empty road and some message about "fumble the truck" or something approaching occured , and the truck became just stuck there (there wasn't any obstacle), i couldn't move it anymore and had to get out due to some zombie horde nearby.

I know there was a problem in previous version regarding some vehicles crashing in tiles it shouldn't crash in, but in the changelog it's mentioned as fixed, so what did i do wrong in this case ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:31:12 am by Robsoie »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: July 03, 2012, 04:00:09 am »

Is there a way to drop a single item of things you have duplicates of? My latest zombie fighting tactic consists of throwing things on the ground, lighting them on fire, and then having the zombies stumble through it over and over again, and it took a lot more turns when I only had thick branches to set alight as I had to drop all, then pick up one and drop on another square, and then the next.

Also, does fire attract zombies? If not, it totally should.
Love, scriver~

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: July 03, 2012, 04:27:11 am »

Is there a way to drop a single item of things you have duplicates of?
Just enter the amount you want to drop before pressing the item letter in the drop menu. The symbol next to the item name will turn into a # instead of a +

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: July 03, 2012, 05:53:20 am »

Another bug happened.
I was running away along the starting NPC (that wanted antibiotics and i just happened to find some and gave him without asking a reward) that was set to "not fight unless life depends on it" toward a parking lot.

3 (normal) zombies were chasing us.

Found a car and embarked, managed to kill the 3 zombies by driving the car over them, and with lot of luck managed to avoid splashing the NPC in the process.

Then stopped the car near a house.

The NPC managed to catch up, and disappeared (maybe he mounted in the car with me too ?)
I then pressed C to talk in case he was there, the game told me there was none to talk to, and the game just went stuck, completely frozen, again no error message, just the program not responding.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: July 03, 2012, 06:02:05 am »

I had a vehicle bug when trying to load stuff into the trunk, by the way. Said there was too little space and that the items were dropped on the ground, but the items just vanished. Pretty annoying, because one of the wheels for the car I was going to build was one of the items that disappeared. The car I was using was a Debug-spawned car, by the way, in case that matters.

...Maybe I should go sign up on the real forums and report it there...
Love, scriver~

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10198 on: July 03, 2012, 06:07:48 am »

Stupid question, but...

Is there a way to unwield an item you're carrying in hand? I've checked over the command list and nothing seemed to work, lol.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: July 03, 2012, 06:11:19 am »

Got another run from a save game, and same, but this time the game froze when i ran over the NPC, so it's very possible that the game froze because without knowing it (as i saw the NPC disappear), i ran over him for some reason as the NPC disappeared when it touched my car (though i thought i was stopped).

Reloaded the save again , this time the game directly crashed when the NPC moved on a wheel of my moving car.

Seems like if you want to use vehicle, do not have an NPC follower.

edit : reloading again, i decided to move out of the car and try just killing the NPC with my baseball bat (as i knew it was without weapon) , as a result : game crash.
Seems like the NPC (at least the NPC that was in my shelter) is bugged, not the car in that case.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:14:18 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 678 679 [680] 681 682 ... 777