Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295694 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10035 on: June 29, 2012, 02:36:28 pm »

Utility vest is free, and I'm usually not carrying enough stuff for it to be a huge deal. If I run, I'll keep it all on, since it only encumbers melee and if I'm in a situation where I have to run it's probably an emergency shotgun situation. If I decide to go killing, I'll drop the pack and all the loot I've picked up (notice that I don't need it to carry the stuff listed, meaning that even in the unlikely event I have to leave it behind I don't lose much of value), which drops encumbrance to just the kevlar.

Which, admittedly, is significant, but the penalty to melee is more than surpassed by the ability to almost completely ignore slashing damage where it hurts the most.

If I'm deciding to hunker down at a window to fight off a bunch of basic zombies, I'll drop the kevlar and the backpack both, but less so as my melee skill improves and it becomes less important.

Also, I should add that I also often carry a second backpack in my backpack, just in case I find something huge that I want to carry back to my base. But that sort of stuff really needs to be dropped before combat anyway - I can always come back for it later. Or, if its too hot, abandon it altogether, head a town over and get a couple more.

The key is not getting too attached to stuff.

edinsert: Also, about sight and such. Do the zombies attack as soon as you can see them, or are there any chances of getting by them unnoticed?
They do not notice you right away, no - I don't think your auto-stop triggers until they do, so that's a good sign. However, seeing you definitely increases the odds, which is why it's better to travel at night - they can't see in the dark either. (especially with night vision goggles, night travel is amazing)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:39:33 pm by GlyphGryph »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10036 on: June 29, 2012, 03:13:46 pm »

My initial strategy generally involves running from Zs, scavenging supplies then resorting to drinking bleach and ammonia then get hooked on all available drugs for entertainment. Usually after I give up on success. This is why I never get anywhere, thinking of it. I'm too quick to call the save doomed and make the death funnier for giggles.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10037 on: June 29, 2012, 03:22:46 pm »

The extra storage in vehicles has meant my character travelling lighter, but has resulted me hoarding a lot more stuff I really don't need.

The key is not getting too attached to stuff.

Yup. Due to an accident with the cruise control and my clumsiness, I recently drove my scratch-built bike loaded with supplies into a river in the middle of nowhere. Instead of going back to my base, however, I headed in a different direction and quickly found plenty of cool stuff (mutagen, mini-nuke) lying in the road. I soon found another bike and headed off to pastures new. And was blown up by a mine. Then drove into a wall. Hell of a day.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10038 on: June 29, 2012, 03:23:29 pm »

My latest games have been ended by overly mutating :P , I aways end up getting the radioactive ones, and radioactivity in this game basicaly turns you into some kind of ever mutating fiend constantly growing horns and becoming vegetarian and vomitous. I need to stop drinking every mutagen and eating all mutated body parts I see, but I can't help it, its so much fun when you have claws, horns, talons and move at the speed of sound and turn unarmed skill into something that can tear hulks down really fast.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10039 on: June 29, 2012, 03:44:03 pm »

I once got maxxed out radiation and the ability that heals you basically instantly from radiation.

Unfortunately, I was killed by the sun and a swarm of ants/bears/zombies - alas, but even my godly regeneration and body composed of nothing but an enormous mass of tentacles could not stand long against that (mostly because I was starving, actually. Damn labs being bereft of food).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10040 on: June 29, 2012, 04:13:52 pm »

I just started up a new save and remembered why I always give up.
I have no useful clothes to hold anything, and everything is houses, and there's zombies everyhwere, but I stumbled upon a basement full of guns and ammunition.
This will only end in the swarm not stopping from trying to maul my face.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10041 on: June 29, 2012, 04:39:36 pm »

Bash down a door, use the 2x4, check the wardrobes in the houses for decent clothing, and work your way in an unexplored direction, preferably out of town.

Don't see any reason to give up yet.

Although a zombie swarm already is awfully odd, you should have a significant safe period when you first start before the swarms activate.

Avoid using the guns at all costs. Probably not even worth taking one with you (though its worth marking on your map)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10042 on: June 29, 2012, 05:01:11 pm »

It was literally just after the half-hour grace period, I came out of the basement, looked out of the window and about 6 Zs out of each side of the house.
I know it's not a conventional swarm, but it's big enough to cause me problems. Especiallu when I have literally nothing worth having besides the gun and a carving knife. SOME canned drinks too, but they're not helpful in combat.

I'm pretty sure this guy's screwed. I've been through this bit of the map on a more successful character, and there's really nothing useful for a while around.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10043 on: June 29, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »

I've been considering uploading a save with one of my highly progressed characters. It would have high crafting and ranged combat skills, a vehicle, and quite a few bionics, depending on how far I get.

It seems people have trouble starting up, and I figured this would help. It would give some other experience besides just getting mauled immediately, for those just starting out with the game. Might ruin some of the fun, though. Would anyone be interested?
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10044 on: June 29, 2012, 06:16:46 pm »

Spoilers gonna spoil, upload away.

The trick to early game, is running.  Don't fight, run.  Run through buildings to lose followers and take stimulants if you can.  Quick trait and Pain Resistant help a great deal as well.  I always die from slowness.  One zombie hits me, that's -2% speed, and that stacks pretty quickly until I get swarmed from pain.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10045 on: June 29, 2012, 06:26:03 pm »

Question: Do automated {deployed} turrets that are friendly to you have...unlimited ammo, as in they won't run out?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10046 on: June 29, 2012, 06:31:41 pm »

They are unlimited, yes.  The craftable turret item that spawns hostile in labs and bunkers, is unlimited.  The ones mounted on vehicles are limited.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10047 on: June 29, 2012, 10:33:19 pm »

I've been considering uploading a save with one of my highly progressed characters. It would have high crafting and ranged combat skills, a vehicle, and quite a few bionics, depending on how far I get.

It seems people have trouble starting up, and I figured this would help. It would give some other experience besides just getting mauled immediately, for those just starting out with the game. Might ruin some of the fun, though. Would anyone be interested?
Or i could just post a small tutorial to cheat your starting character points. Basicly making it unlimited.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10048 on: June 29, 2012, 10:39:59 pm »

Or i could just post a small tutorial to cheat your starting character points. Basicly making it unlimited.

O_O Please....

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10049 on: June 30, 2012, 12:32:55 am »

But the beginning struggle is a major part of the gameplay. I don't understand the desire to skip that journey. Once my character basically becomes undefeatable in typical city/lab exploration, I get bored.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 668 669 [670] 671 672 ... 777