Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295692 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #10020 on: June 29, 2012, 08:41:23 am »

What else? Food, medicinal stuff, cigarettes, cooking thingeries, rags and booze for molotows, ammo, spare glasses, hammers and nails and everything that might come in handy later. It's like a Bethesda game except you can't sell anything at the end of the dungeon, because IT NEVER ENDS ;D
Unless you're using a nailgun, you don't need to bring nails when you go scavenging.  That's something to dump at your safehouse!  Same with cooking thingeries.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:34 am »

...But to have a safehouse you need to stay in one place...

edit:
Specifically this one (direct download) is the one Wolfy modified for Girlinhat, it has the arrow key fix and opaque doors for vehicles, as well as fixed spawns.

He doesn't reccomend people play his mod in its current state.

I missed this post before, but thanks Merchant. What's wrong with his mod, though? Just unrefined as of now?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:51:14 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: June 29, 2012, 09:02:54 am »

It mainly became bloated, I think.  Stuff just got added in if it looked cool, and didn't mesh well.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: June 29, 2012, 09:09:27 am »

A lot of the methods he used to do things were very hackish as well. He's going to do a total rewrite of it when the next version of Cataclysm comes out.
*Hugs*

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: June 29, 2012, 12:06:00 pm »

how many guns do you guys generally carry around? This last play through i tried having 4 on me (with about 150 rounds each) and i think it got me killed because i didn't have enough space.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: June 29, 2012, 12:38:19 pm »

Zero or One.

Why would you ever need more than one gun?

I might leave a couple in accessible places with Notes marking them on the map in case I ever start running low on ammo, but that's pretty much it.

Actually, I /suppose/ you might need to if you're a gun-as-main-weapons character - A small silence pistol for normal combat and a heavier weapon for emergencies, but even then that's only two guns!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: June 29, 2012, 12:53:48 pm »

Carry a loaded shotgun for emergencies, even if you're a full melee character with 4 perception. At melee range it'll obliterate almost anything and never miss.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: June 29, 2012, 01:06:52 pm »

Zero or One.

Why would you ever need more than one gun?

I might leave a couple in accessible places with Notes marking them on the map in case I ever start running low on ammo, but that's pretty much it.

Actually, I /suppose/ you might need to if you're a gun-as-main-weapons character - A small silence pistol for normal combat and a heavier weapon for emergencies, but even then that's only two guns!
I guess i'm just used to fallout:NV where i carry around a freaking armory.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10028 on: June 29, 2012, 01:21:46 pm »

I generally keep a revolver and sometimes ammo.  Many times I just mod the gun with extended clip and just use whatever ammo it has, and reload when I stop by the safe house.  I don't shoot very often, it's noisy and messy.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: June 29, 2012, 01:30:51 pm »

I take 2 guns for a firearms char, 1 primary, in current case SKS, (mag extendend out to 30 shots, etc) and a redhawk as a backup, Redhawk is great as a backup cause it is a sledgehammer powerwise and can be reloaded 1 shot at a time, if you find yourself with 2 empty guns on a firearms char, you are going to want a gun that reloads 1 shot at a time, trust me, things are already bad.  Other that that, as girlinhat said, I find a safehouse pretty much essential for dumping my stuff.  Build it nearish to water source and have some smart pit defenses, if only so if you walk 3 map tiles from it and find 50 zombies, just kite them back to your house surrounded by pits and have a beer as they all jump in.  Also has the advantage that if char 1 dies, char 2 can bolt for a premade safehouse packed with goodies right at day 1.

It only takes about 2 nights to dig out/board up enough stuff to fully fortify a decent safehouse, I start building them in multiple towns once i have established myself locally and have a bike to burl on down to the next town.

Edit: also if you have a safehouse, noise isnt an issue, you want to bring more zombies in, as they have stuff worth taking on them often.  And once you get going with a firearms char, eg me atm, I have 30 shots that will 1 shot most zombies inc alot of specials, screw noise.  But i have lived long enough to have 10+ firearms skill.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:33:22 pm by jester »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: June 29, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »

Of course I prefer vehicular safehouses.  If done right, you can set it up with all the proper defenses.  A ring of "frame" around the whole thing will slow down any zombies that try to climb over, and you can armor-plate them later for bashing your way through house walls and such.  Not to mention that if you run over a zombie, it damages the frame and not the next tile, so your engines and windows and stuff are a little bit safer.  Unfortunately a vehicle won't work as a pit and kill zombies that step into them, so you can't just sit still and let them die around you, but you can dig your own pits as normal, or set up things like bear traps that are much more mobile.

Then again, if you get productive, you can instal automated turrets, or deploy the turret items.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: June 29, 2012, 01:43:46 pm »

Turrets do kick alot of ass, but unless you build for them on char gen, you are fairly established by the time you have the knowhow to make them happen.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: June 29, 2012, 02:14:39 pm »

So, I've always wanted to try an archery character but never seem to get enough supplies to make it viable (Sharp tool, lots of string and sticks etc)
Is there some sort of archery supplies shop, or do they show up in sporting supplies shops?
Also, are they really any good? The in-game description makes them out to be a bit duff.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: June 29, 2012, 02:24:05 pm »

I usually find bows and arrows in people's homes. I believe I found arrows in a sport shop once, too. And they seem pretty decent, if not as useful as a gun, but they at least kill the zombies before they can reach you. Usually. And arrows are retrieveable some of the time as well, so you're less likely to run out of ammo unless you have to run away.

I'm thinking about survival tactics and safe houses though. How do you spend the early days?

edinsert: Also, about sight and such. Do the zombies attack as soon as you can see them, or are there any chances of getting by them unnoticed?

Backpack
Utility Vest
Kevlar Vest

And by the way, doesn't this leave you horribly encumbered?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:26:22 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10034 on: June 29, 2012, 02:34:23 pm »

Archery, is honestly in my opinion, the most important skill you can get.

You can find arrows and bows in sports shops at a somewhat rare appearance (probably about 20% chance for either).

It takes a level 1 survival and level 1 in archery to craft arrows out of wood. From there it's easy. You can generally 2 shot any zombies, and there is no reloading.

Once you get to levels 3-5 you head shot zombies at any range, 1 shot killing any kind of zombie (except hulks. But head shots stun enemies, so you can just keep firing until the hulk goes down). I'll generally walk into town, and when a mob comes, just stand in place and go through a stack of arrows. Then I'll go to the nearest door, break it down, and craft another stack. It really is your best choice for the basic enemies. Except skeletons. A good back-up hammer solves that problem.

"Edit" My early days are spent getting my preferred load out. Anything in military surplus is excellent, along with sports shops. From there I grab some med supplies from the pharmacy, a ton of books from the library, then I hunt for a car (mod). Once I get the car I hit the road, and rarely stay in a town, hitting labs and bunkers. Only pass into towns for gasoline, and occasionally some medicine.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:36:27 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 777