Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295545 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9930 on: June 18, 2012, 04:15:17 am »

About tilesets, people have different tastes. Some people stick with the good ol' ASCII while others don't want to spend their time "looking" at everything. If we are talking about DF, yeah most tilesets are still difficult to understand (while I don't understand how difficult can it be when compared to ASCII) but in Deon's Cataclysm tileset everything is very clear.

It's all about what your used to. I find the DF 'ascii' tileset easy to understand because everything is symbol and colour and I know what they mean. Each time I have tried an art tileset I've looked at the screen and beyond the obvious things like trees and plants I'm lost. This is especially true when telling which dwarves have what skills. However I'm sure if I spend a few hours playing I'd get used to it, but it's easier to spend those hours enjoying the game.

Cataclysm is a much simpler game with regards to information on screen so I can see a transition to a more 'graphical' look being easier. The main point of contention would be distinction of the various creatures.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: June 18, 2012, 10:38:06 am »

Hehe, it's the opposite for me. In Cataclysm you have just a few different creatures, so it's easy to identify them by letters/colors. In DF (especially with mods) one cannot simply understand what kind of creature does he see unless he looks at it. And even after that there may simply be not enough letters to show all the different creature types. At the same time common objects like items etc look fine in ASCII because you are only interested in seeing them there, the dwarves will interact with items more than the "ruler" player.

In cataclysm items are the most important thing for your survival, so you need to be able to spot that exact teleporter quickly or not to miss a specific weapon in a hurry. So while creatures are good in ASCII, items are better in tilesets.

Something like that.

And of course you are right, it's all a matter of personal tastes and getting used to something.

And I did not start making a tileset for Cataclysm just because it allows to show items more clearly. I just like making tilesets and I want more people to be able to understand and play this wonderful game (while I can easily play both in ASCII and in graphical mode, some people don't want to or cannot).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9932 on: June 18, 2012, 01:45:06 pm »

It's turn-based.  You have all the time you need to look at and identify every individual item in your line of sight.  There's no "hurry"
Shoes...

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: June 18, 2012, 01:51:14 pm »

And I did not start making a tileset for Cataclysm just because it allows to show items more clearly. I just like making tilesets and I want more people to be able to understand and play this wonderful game (while I can easily play both in ASCII and in graphical mode, some people don't want to or cannot).
Yep, the more people willing to try Cataclysm, the better.

So, I've managed to scrounge together enough car parts (2 cars + 1 quad + oddsandends) for some sort of battlewagon. Is there anything crucial I need to know about layout? Do the wheels have to go in the corners, or the engine in a particular place or whatever?

Also, is there any way to recharge a welder without batteries? I'm fine for now, but a renewable method would be great.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9934 on: June 18, 2012, 01:53:31 pm »

Also, is there any way to recharge a welder without batteries? I'm fine for now, but a renewable method would be great.
On that note, where does one usually find welders?

I can never even modify the truck I found in my somewhat-ghost town. It's a small village that only has the occasional zombie but has utilitarian stores. Lots of them.

And basically a paradise.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9935 on: June 18, 2012, 01:58:59 pm »

Welders are at hardware stores.  I also vaguely remember seeing them in mines.
Shoes...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9936 on: June 18, 2012, 02:14:05 pm »

I think I might have got some off a dead scientist group once. They sometimes have very useful equipment on them.

Plus, I think this game actually hates me with spawn chances. In the last 10 spawns I have had
1: No shops, just houses
2: Shops in the middle of large group of houses. Fungal spires and beehives everywhere
3: Wolf pack
4: Bee hive right by shelter. Couldn't really go anywhere.
5: Random zombie horde before I could find any shops
6: Literally nothing of interest. No towns nearby, just some beehives in a forest.
7: Wolves early on
8: Couldn't find anything of interest, got my character addicted on everything I had and refused to eat or drink anything that hadn't gone off. He probably lasted LONGER than any other character. Oh the ironing.
9: Did pretty good, died in a Mil.Surplus after crashing a car through the window (LIKE A BAWS)
10: Current, surviving on the stash of honeycombs I persuaded the bees to part with; and a nearby pool. Nowhere near prepared enough to take on the zombies in town though, so it's somewhat of a stalemate. Whenever I go near the town I end up with 20 (or more!) zs on my tail.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Argwm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: June 18, 2012, 02:25:53 pm »

Integrated Toolset from the utilities CBM also works for vehicles instead of a welder, 10 pow per weld though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9938 on: June 18, 2012, 03:15:01 pm »

Is it possible to mod the game to remove subspace enemies?  And possibly the robots outside of bases (Eyebots, copbots, etc.)?  They're really irritating to get attacked by and kind of ruin my immersion.  Everything else is fine, the game kind of has a The Mist feel, where there's so much fucked up stuff at once you've really got no idea what's going on.  It's just those.

I'm not asking someone to do it for me, I'm just wondering if it's possible or if they're hardcoded.
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9939 on: June 18, 2012, 03:21:35 pm »

They are hardcoded, but the source is open so that means nothing. There's a few mods on the forums that remove them in different ways I know, its worth taking a look to see if any are up your alley.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: June 18, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »

Everything is "Hardcoded" because it's all in code.  But if you get the source code, it'd be fairly easy to tweak them for things like "has less HP" or "lower attack value" to be easier.  Removing them might be trickier, but I think one big thing would be to toy with the map extras - things like scientist corpses, helicopter crashes, and trap piles.  It also sometimes spawns these very dangerous portals from which N-Dimensional baddies spawn.  If you tweak that out, then you shouldn't get any flaming eyes spawning in the middle of the city, but they'll still spawn from lab finales.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: June 18, 2012, 03:32:27 pm »

Just to be clear - you want to remove everything that isn't animals or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
right?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: June 18, 2012, 04:04:12 pm »

Just the subspace bad guys and law enforcement robots.  Zombies, triffids, fungal zombies, and the various animals/giant animals are fine.

I'll probably look at the source later and figure it out.
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9943 on: June 18, 2012, 04:07:17 pm »

Spoiler: Game Spoilers (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:57 pm »

I think I may have found a playstyle I like, though it won't be really fun until NPCs are fixed and implemented in good numbers.  I have a melee/survivalist template that I use for it.  I get a science ID (Cheating if the game's being a jerk about IDs), and head into the nearest science lab exposing myself to anything that might cause a mutation.  When I leave the lab I'm no longer anything you could describe as human.  If you can't beat the monsters, become one.  Once NPC survivors are in I'll sneak around (hopefully stealth will be in too) and prey on them, just another one of the fucked up monsters wandering the world.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 777