Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295534 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9915 on: June 17, 2012, 08:01:40 am »

Any news on when your amazing (and I genuinely mean amazing) tileset will support the vehicle mod?

I'm dying to play around with the vehicular side of things, but I just can't bring myself to play in ASCII mode - it gives me a headache! And it's the same reason I haven't actually tried Dwarf Fortress yet....

Hell, I'm not even a graphics whore...I'd just like *some* graphics... ;)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: June 17, 2012, 09:21:01 am »

God damn.  Every time I give this game a chance it quickly shows me that was a mistake.  Most recently it placed wolves in sight of every door of the evac shelter, two games in a row.

I had this happen to!

I made those wolves regret their bad placement, mwahaha.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: June 17, 2012, 01:24:30 pm »

Any news on when your amazing (and I genuinely mean amazing) tileset will support the vehicle mod?

I'm dying to play around with the vehicular side of things, but I just can't bring myself to play in ASCII mode - it gives me a headache! And it's the same reason I haven't actually tried Dwarf Fortress yet....

Hell, I'm not even a graphics whore...I'd just like *some* graphics... ;)

He doesn't like DF because it's ASCII! Let's flame this dude!

It takes time to get used to it even with tilesets really

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: June 17, 2012, 01:31:08 pm »

I know, I know, I'd deserve a slight flaming - but really, ASCII is awful at the best of times and I pretty much grew up on it!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: June 17, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »

Time for my obligatory comment about how ASCII is easier for me to play with because I don't need to spend time puzzling out exactly what a tile is supposed to be.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: June 17, 2012, 01:45:11 pm »

I'd just like *some* graphics... ;)
Oh but there are, here, let me show you them. Ain't they beautiful?

If there were not grpahics, you'd just be looking at a blank screen. That would be hard fo sho.

I wasn't kidding about the beautiful thing though, it looks really nice compared to some ugly (not because of skill, because of size restrictions) drawings around that are hard to interpret and often look similar.
And I'd say the only reason people don't like it is because it often comes from very complex gameplay, where game comes first and pretties later. People associate the difficulty in learning to the easily distinguishable graphical features.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:47:55 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: June 17, 2012, 01:48:08 pm »

Text-based gameplay FTW.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: June 17, 2012, 02:45:15 pm »

Time for my obligatory comment about how ASCII is easier for me to play with because I don't need to spend time puzzling out exactly what a tile is supposed to be.
Your argument is wrong. In ASCII, all clothes are [. In graphics, they all look different. Same with other items and some objects, including guns.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: June 17, 2012, 04:30:15 pm »

Your argument is wrong. In ASCII, all clothes are [. In graphics, they all look different. Same with other items and some objects, including guns.

Spoiler: Moderately Off-Topic (click to show/hide)

On topic: Is there a way to build beyond the limits of the window in the vehicle construction screen? I've been hoping and trying, but haven't found anything.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: June 17, 2012, 05:10:58 pm »

If there were not grpahics, you'd just be looking at a blank screen. That would be hard fo sho.

I wasn't kidding about the beautiful thing though, it looks really nice compared to some ugly (not because of skill, because of size restrictions) drawings around that are hard to interpret and often look similar.
And I'd say the only reason people don't like it is because it often comes from very complex gameplay, where game comes first and pretties later. People associate the difficulty in learning to the easily distinguishable graphical features.

Just plain eww, chap.

And you'd be wrong on the only reason people don't like it. For me, it's not the complex gameplay - it's most definitely the ASCII. I've played plenty of very complex games before - hell, Aurora is a prime example - and enjoyed them, but they haven't been ASCII.

It's just not for me!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: June 17, 2012, 05:14:34 pm »

Eh, I prefer ASCII over a tileset any day. I like it for some reason.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: June 17, 2012, 06:00:24 pm »

Horses for courses, I guess. Each to their own!

Just roll on the next tileset update! :D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: June 17, 2012, 07:02:41 pm »

I'm weird, in that I kind of abhor ASCII, but I hate most tilesets too.

What I really like is nice abstract tilesets that clearly and uniquely convey an objects uniqueness while being readily identifiable, but still stylized and simple and clear.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: June 17, 2012, 07:22:30 pm »

With most roguelikes there's too much information on the screen to convey with most tilesets.  Nethack and Angband notably have terrible default tilesets that are far harder to decipher than ASCII.  When you add the opacity of those roguelikes (Angband is a bit better, anything you experience is permanently added to "memory" in your save file, but you're still blind in early encounters.  Nethack is just obscenely opaque about everything)

Crawl strikes me as a roguelike that does well with a tileset.  For one, the tileset is great, going as far as WYSIWYG weapons on monsters (The tile changes depending what the monster is wielding), with big easy to read tiles and a whole bunch of extra enhancements, like mouse support.  Plus, Crawl's very transparent, it gives information readily, so you're never in a Crawl or Nethack situation where you have no idea what this little green iguana thing is until it hisses and now you're turning to stone.
Shoes...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: June 17, 2012, 08:19:25 pm »

Just plain eww, chap.

And you'd be wrong on the only reason people don't like it. For me, it's not the complex gameplay - it's most definitely the ASCII. I've played plenty of very complex games before - hell, Aurora is a prime example - and enjoyed them, but they haven't been ASCII.

It's just not for me!

I can't play Aurora :( It just seems like too much work to manage to actually do something.

About tilesets, people have different tastes. Some people stick with the good ol' ASCII while others don't want to spend their time "looking" at everything. If we are talking about DF, yeah most tilesets are still difficult to understand (while I don't understand how difficult can it be when compared to ASCII) but in Deon's Cataclysm tileset everything is very clear.

Arguing about it would just derail the thread so I'll just shut up here.
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 777