Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295804 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9765 on: June 09, 2012, 02:40:33 pm »

Practice :). Once you get a hang of it, you will find tons of stuff because you know where to look for that (like, which room can contain backpack, which tools you need first and where to travel to attract less zombies).

To purify water, use the water purifier, it uses batteries which are everywhere. Or better drink soda.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: June 09, 2012, 02:46:54 pm »

Learn to edit your posts instead of triple-posting :P

And the "magic" is mods, mainly.  There's mods for boiling water, and for tent packs, and rain coats that actually work.  Vanilla raincoats don't actually protect you from weather at all, they're just clothes with a name.

Buuuuut the current "standard" mod is the vehicle mod.  Most people consider that to be a solid extension of the game that's simple and balanced enough that it's legit.  Check the Cataclysm forums modding section for the vehicle mod.  My advice is to start running as fast as you can, just run all through town.  Find your way to every parking lot you can until you find a car or a truck.  Both of those have roofs, and will protect you from weather while the doors are closed.  Then find yourself every hardware store and harvest every scrap of machinery you can to get your vehicle bigger and meaner - or at least meaner.  You may find it advantageous to shrink your truck and go more silent and more speed, but you'll still want to armor it up.

http://cloud.github.com/downloads/TheDarklingWolf/Cataclysm/Vehicles.7z
This is a slightly modified version of the vehicles mod.  It's exactly the same as the normal mod, except Darkling Wolf has added opaque doors and electric motors, solar panels, and storage batteries now spawn in electronics stores.  The original creator made a typo and they only spawn in silo basements, but this version makes them spawn in stores as intended.  That's a Windows executable, so just unpack and double-click.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: June 09, 2012, 03:16:48 pm »

And the "magic" is mods, mainly.  There's mods for boiling water, and for tent packs, and rain coats that actually work.  Vanilla raincoats don't actually protect you from weather at all, they're just clothes with a name.
Actually vanilla raincoats provide protection from morale hit while outside and under wet (drizzle) and very wet (rain) weather . It is governed by code in weather.cpp:
Code: [Select]
if (!g->u.is_wearing(itm_coat_rain) && !g->u.has_trait(PF_FEATHERS) &&
     PLAYER_OUTSIDE && one_in(2))
  g->u.add_morale(MORALE_WET, -1, -30);

And yes, vehicle mod is so awesome, that it goes to be merged in next release and become "vanilla". Actually there are many mods that got merged before, and we hope there will be more to merge after.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: June 09, 2012, 04:10:01 pm »

Yeah, that merge Girlinhat posted is (IIRC) the most up-to-date complete compilation of the useful mods. But basically the trick is in learning where everything spawns. One thing to be sure to do to save time is to check the shelves of the store with the 'look' command so you can often go right for what you need without wasting time walking to each shelf with items. It only shows the top item, but that is far better than nothing.

Also note that Quick, the fast-running trait, and wearing skirts will all improve your speed, making it easier to escape from bad situations. Regarding supplies: that's why having a remote, secure base is so important. You simply aren't going to be able to carry absolutely everything you need without any drawbacks, so you need a place to store it. You can go for a nomadic build, but you're going to have a much narrower set of options and you probably will never see the endgame, such that it is. You can also go the double-backpack route, but that means that melee combat is not practical at all, and that if you don't have a shitload of ammunition and ready-loaded weapons, you will go down quickly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: June 09, 2012, 04:22:52 pm »

I went light once.  Skirt, sneakers, utility vest, modded purse so that it was zero enc. and lower storage than a vest (so I could have done better with another vest), tank top, holster, cotton hat, eyeglasses, ski goggles (to protect the glasses).  I learned to run very light.  Weapon in-hand, bottle of tequila, Adderall (always carry it, always), strongest painkiller available, first aid kit, one bottle water, one MRE-Beef, and sometimes one handgun, with or without spare ammo.  That leaves a few extra volume slots, especially once you get some CBMs and can get internal storage.  I got to end-game just fine, I was hitting electronics stores, piling all the stuff on one tile, and crafting it all into CBM: Battery, and carry a few rarer components if I felt like it to the next store.  I got some pretty good power rating and hundreds of kills, until one fast zombie rushed me and exploded a landmine on me.  I raged so hard...

The trick to traveling light is to realize that military surplus stores will keep you alive for days at a time, and that gas stations are a godsend.  Hold up for the night/day, drink toilet water, vomit food poisoning, wait until dawn/dusk, and you're good to go with the poison wearing off and full thirst!  Pop some pretzels before you drink the toilet as well.  Your bottled water and MREs are mainly for emergency use and when you're diving into labs.  Although for labs, just bring an MRE or two, they always have tons of water.

The main thing, I guess, is learning how to forage.  Don't store, just eat and move on.  You can get along perfectly well without carrying a single food item if you're smart.  Just remember where the stores are and what your schedule is.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: June 09, 2012, 04:38:00 pm »

It might seem a little out-of-the-way at first, but in your initial burst of gathering essential things to survive you should always be under the effect of 2x Adderall. At base speed, Adderall first gives you +24 speed, and the second pill gives you another 16. You can easily blow by most any monster in the first couple days save a few bastards like fast zombies. Just watch out for addiction and withdrawals, especially withdrawals because they will weaken your immune system and make you catch a cold which damages stats more than you would think it would. To make Adderall better, it also gives you some nice stat boosts like +4 INT, great for book reading.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: June 09, 2012, 04:58:58 pm »

Yeah, Adderall + 11INT means that you can read every book in the game, IIRC.

One thing to consider is putting some of your extra points from flaws into your stats rather than traits; I typically take a 10-10-11-10 build as my middle of the road sort of character, with Quick and a thing or two else.

Q: Can you still die from food/water poisoning? I seem to recall that happening to one of my first characters that drank from toilets.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: June 09, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »

It can cause minor damage, so if you've got like 2 torso HP left it's possible.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: June 09, 2012, 05:56:56 pm »

http://cloud.github.com/downloads/TheDarklingWolf/Cataclysm/Vehicles.7z
This is a slightly modified version of the vehicles mod.  It's exactly the same as the normal mod, except Darkling Wolf has added opaque doors and electric motors, solar panels, and storage batteries now spawn in electronics stores.  The original creator made a typo and they only spawn in silo basements, but this version makes them spawn in stores as intended.  That's a Windows executable, so just unpack and double-click.

Which mods does this have?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: June 09, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »

That's just the vehicle mod. Darkling Wolf is the one who did the windows ports of it.
*Hugs*

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: June 09, 2012, 06:02:54 pm »

That's just the vehicle mod. Darkling Wolf is the one who did the windows ports of it.

"This is a slightly modified version of the vehicles mod."

Was asking how it is modified.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: June 09, 2012, 06:05:58 pm »

Is this... a real question?  Did you read the whole post?  Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude (ok maybe I do a little) but read past the first sentence.
It's exactly the same as the normal mod, except Darkling Wolf has added opaque doors and electric motors, solar panels, and storage batteries now spawn in electronics stores.  The original creator made a typo and they only spawn in silo basements, but this version makes them spawn in stores as intended.  That's a Windows executable, so just unpack and double-click.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: June 09, 2012, 06:13:05 pm »

Yeah, that merge Girlinhat posted is (IIRC) the most up-to-date complete compilation of the useful mods.

Perhaps that confused them.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: June 09, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »

Yeah, that merge Girlinhat posted is (IIRC) the most up-to-date complete compilation of the useful mods.

Perhaps that confused them.

Yeah, I figured there might be other mods in it :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: June 09, 2012, 06:17:24 pm »

Mine isn't any multiple mods, it's purely vehicle mod, a little more complete.  Fixed item spawns and added non-see-through doors.
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 777