Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1296330 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9465 on: June 01, 2012, 04:33:45 pm »

Though I would much rather it become default, because to be perfectly honest it looks damn good.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: June 01, 2012, 04:35:06 pm »

I'm assuming it'll be optional.
*Hugs*

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #9467 on: June 01, 2012, 04:55:16 pm »

Door things

Opaque Doors for M'lady

Also updated to the latest version of the Vehicle Mod, and implemented the menu fix.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9468 on: June 01, 2012, 05:10:30 pm »

Since this is going to break save compatibility, I will fortunately not be updating yet.  I had a close call with a hospital and some Eldredth horrors - at the same time - and now I need to find somewhere quiet to repair the missing parts of my war truck :x

But I'm alive, and thus we drive on!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: June 01, 2012, 05:21:05 pm »

It may have been asked and/or answered somewhere previously, but PLEASE tell me there'll be an option for no graphics once the tiles are merged with the vanilla game (I may have read that wrong, so if tilesets aren't going to be merged, then my bad, I'm an idiot). As nice as your tilesets are Deon, I DESPISE tile sets for roguelikes. Breaks the immersion for me and it would kill me to honestly not be able to play this amazing game because of something like that.
I am almost 100% sure it will be optional, and you could always just clear the graphics.cfg even in the current graphics mod to make it pure ASCII, so don't worry.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: June 01, 2012, 05:25:18 pm »

This is the second and a bit more complete alpha release of my tileset for Gremour's mod.

Download Release 2 of "Gremour mod + Deon tileset"

Release 2 features:
- Multi-tile objects like beds, slides, counters etc. have multi-tile graphics.
- More items and clothing.
- Laboratory and cave terrain and props.
- Blood, slime and acid.
- Traps.

Credits:
- Gremour, he is the creator of the code which supports the whole amazing tileset thing.
- Deon, tileset maker
- Pandupaz, firearms' sprites.

Stay tuned for further updates.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:27:04 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9471 on: June 01, 2012, 05:34:11 pm »

It may have been asked and/or answered somewhere previously, but PLEASE tell me there'll be an option for no graphics once the tiles are merged with the vanilla game (I may have read that wrong, so if tilesets aren't going to be merged, then my bad, I'm an idiot). As nice as your tilesets are Deon, I DESPISE tile sets for roguelikes. Breaks the immersion for me and it would kill me to honestly not be able to play this amazing game because of something like that.
I am almost 100% sure it will be optional, and you could always just clear the graphics.cfg even in the current graphics mod to make it pure ASCII, so don't worry.

Mk, good. Don't get me wrong though, I do admire your work, regardless. Just isn't for me. :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9472 on: June 01, 2012, 06:37:52 pm »

This is the second and a bit more complete alpha release of my tileset for Gremour's mod.

Yesss :)

Argwm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9473 on: June 01, 2012, 10:03:52 pm »

I'm not sure if this is Vanilla, Mod, Or Bug, But boarded up doors appear to be invincible, Not sure against Brutes or Hulks, as I cannot tell what is smashing it on the other side, But it's definitely held up to many hours of constant bashing.

On a side note, Anyone know where to acquire Solar Panels for the Vehicle mod? I've found minireactors in Banks, but nothing else special. I certainly hope all special vehicle parts are not held only in banks.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9474 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:00 am »

Are there any strategies for survival in this game? I see heaps of things that can be constructed, but I get swamped before I get enough materials to build a single wall let alone enough to hide behind.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:16 am »

Basically just keep rolling out with new characters until you get one that starts near a good area with hardware stores, army surplus etc.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22:41 am »

Also building your own HQ is a mid-late game goal, start by finding a nice hideout, start gathering stuff, food and so on, and once you built/gathered enough stuff, find a place build a wall section, come back tomorow and so on untill its complete. Please try to avoid zombies...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: June 02, 2012, 12:24:41 am »

Are there any strategies for survival in this game? I see heaps of things that can be constructed, but I get swamped before I get enough materials to build a single wall let alone enough to hide behind.

also forting up a single/few houses with disposable characters by digging pits, etc then having the serious character live there.  Build outside stuff like pits at night, so you dont get swarmed as much.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: June 02, 2012, 12:28:21 am »

Wait, there's LESS zombies at night?
This will change my game significantly! No longer will I constantly be chsed out of town by ridiculous hordes of zoombies (seriously, how is a corpse so FAST?).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: June 02, 2012, 01:01:14 am »

Because they're not corpses.  There's actually quite a bit of lore behind the game, but the basics there is "they didn't quite die" as the zombie type.

As for survival, stay mobile.  Keep moving, keep scavenging, keep running away.  My general gameplay previously was simple.  Find the closest clothing store, sporting goods store, or military surplus store.  Grab cargo clothes, preferably cargo pants and 2x utility vests, though some prefer a backpack that's your call, it basically prevents dedicated melee though.  Then hit a liqueur store and a library.  Actually, a library and liqueur store.  Get the books into the small back room and drink ALL the booze (well, maybe like 6 shots).  Wait a little for your drunkeness to pass and then spend time reading.  Remember that mil. surplus store?  Hopefully you have several MRE and bottles of water so you can sit tight and read.  By the time you come out, you should be full, sated, have some crafty skills, and have a large exp pool.  Then it's just a matter of using windows as chokepoints and moving quickly.  Remember that you don't have to kill everything - in fact most times you'll be out of exp/morale and killing won't give you any skill!

Night has the same amount of enemies as daytime.  The only difference is that zombies hunt by sight, sound, and smell, in that order.  If you can see a zombie, it can see you.  During day, that can be 2 map tiles away.  At night, that can be 2 real tiles.  You can have a pack of zombies across the street never notice you if you move quickly and smartly - even moreso if you can manage to get some night vision bionics, goggles, or mutations.  If you're having trouble surviving, I STRONGLY suggest you go out at night instead.  Navigate via the map to find buildings.

If you're playing with vehicles, as most of us will with the next merged update, then you'll mainly want to do the same thing, except find a bike or truck or something.  Then keep moving.  20mph is fast enough to barely outrun a Fast, so you can easily run into an area, jump off, grab supplies, and take off again before anything catches you.  You'll also want some mechanic skill and will love hardware stores, upgrading your bike to include some more boxes and armor will greatly expand your capabilities.  Try not to ram zombies unless you've armor-plated your front - and remember that the roof is made of steel plates, so you can sacrifice weather protection to provide more bumper-power, if you've got a car or truck.
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 777