Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294947 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #9270 on: May 02, 2012, 01:29:14 pm »

So I just downloaded the quick fix'd version that fixes the menu issue and added darkling wolf's mod to it, and its pretty awesome overall. I didn't get to play it a whole lot just yet since I have to study, but so far it was pretty awesome. Figuring out the mechanics now.

I started out a relatively smart character with some skill in firearms and went around looting houses for useful stuff, cutting a few zombies down with a steak knife and eventualy switching to a shotgun from a gun store, then I broke into this one house and found a bunch of useful stuff including batteries, a flashlight and... A wolfsuit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: May 02, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »

I thought open fields and forests were safer than cities so I moved to a cave in the middle of nowhere. I was wrong. I managed to last until I killed around 150 zombies there. Whenever a necro shows up there were like 30 zombies chasing me.

Anybody knows a way to stop zombies from spawning? Cheating or not I don't really care. I just want enough time to build myself a safehouse.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #9272 on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:28 pm »

So I just downloaded the quick fix'd version that fixes the menu issue and added darkling wolf's mod to it, and its pretty awesome overall. I didn't get to play it a whole lot just yet since I have to study, but so far it was pretty awesome. Figuring out the mechanics now.

I started out a relatively smart character with some skill in firearms and went around looting houses for useful stuff, cutting a few zombies down with a steak knife and eventualy switching to a shotgun from a gun store, then I broke into this one house and found a bunch of useful stuff including batteries, a flashlight and... A wolfsuit.

This is the risk of playing a mod made by furries :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: May 02, 2012, 03:23:21 pm »

I thought open fields and forests were safer than cities so I moved to a cave in the middle of nowhere. I was wrong. I managed to last until I killed around 150 zombies there. Whenever a necro shows up there were like 30 zombies chasing me.

Anybody knows a way to stop zombies from spawning? Cheating or not I don't really care. I just want enough time to build myself a safehouse.

Nowhere is safe. I've gotten used to my daily rounds of slaughtering zombies within 3 or 4 region tiles of my sleeping area and butchering every single one, otherwise they'll all come back once a Necromancer waltzes in. You can avoid this by going totally nomad, but I found that it's generally a good idea to have a base of operations in a town, and then fortify the hell out of the building, dig pits, create mounds of dirt to impede, bury traps.. etc.

I use one main building to store most of the heavier tools you'll need [especially with the Myriad Modpack] to have more of the 'endgame' types of fun. I'm currently trying to mount machine guns on a motorcycle. Should I mention this is the only vehicle I've found since starting the new build? Yeah, it's my baby. I imagine my character as a Mongol, riding around on a motorcycle firing arrows everywhere. With lots of leather. Don't forget the leather.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: May 02, 2012, 04:04:13 pm »

Nowhere is safe. I've gotten used to my daily rounds of slaughtering zombies within 3 or 4 region tiles of my sleeping area and butchering every single one, otherwise they'll all come back once a Necromancer waltzes in. You can avoid this by going totally nomad, but I found that it's generally a good idea to have a base of operations in a town, and then fortify the hell out of the building, dig pits, create mounds of dirt to impede, bury traps.. etc.

I use one main building to store most of the heavier tools you'll need [especially with the Myriad Modpack] to have more of the 'endgame' types of fun. I'm currently trying to mount machine guns on a motorcycle. Should I mention this is the only vehicle I've found since starting the new build? Yeah, it's my baby. I imagine my character as a Mongol, riding around on a motorcycle firing arrows everywhere. With lots of leather. Don't forget the leather.

I should have never moved to the forest. I built a car which has 8 trunk tiles just to move all my equipment. One minute it's serene and one minute there is a hulk and a brute chasing me with a necro raising them as I kill. I'm going to have to start a new character anyway. I'll try the modpack. I like how this game can turn into hell in one minute.

I also found out I rarely get attacked if it's night.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: May 02, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »

They can't see you, perhaps?

I know I asked before, but forgot to check for answer. Did that web-interface ever go up?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: May 02, 2012, 04:17:21 pm »

They can't see you, perhaps?

I don't know. Zombies are supposed to be more active at night.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: May 02, 2012, 04:35:19 pm »

This is the risk of playing a mod made by furries :P

ARGH WOULD YOU PLEASE.

I mean.. your a wonderful coder, why do- forget me im a hypocrite.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: May 02, 2012, 07:10:43 pm »

If you mean stop them from respawning when a necro turns up you can butcher them or pour petrol on them and burn them.  I usually only do it around my base, I call this 'housekeeping'.   As for base building, yah, do it at night, they may be more active, but once you get a few deep pits up you can just kite zombies into them.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: May 03, 2012, 09:59:02 am »

Well I figure if a zombie apocalypse DID happen, and folks started looting random hastily abandoned houses I would think a fursuit would be one of the less strange things somebody would come across.  Hell it's probably half decent armor for a zombie apocalypse too, lots of padding, and ought to be pretty warm.  No protection from knives or bullets, but I've never seen a zombie with a knife or gun.

Havent played in a while, getting set to download the newest windows version.  Last played right after mines were implemented.  Wish me luck.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: May 03, 2012, 07:56:15 pm »

[I found a . . .]A wolfsuit.
luckyyyy; all I can find are these lousy deersuits.
Though I must say it is fun to go all Souian (Plains Native American) and disguise myself as a deer whilst hunting deer; only to rise up and mow the unsuspecting herbivores down with a hail of arrows.

Edit: Darkling; I'm running into a feature/bug where all of the fish I fish are rotten when they come out of the water. I was abe to fish one batch fine, but when they rotted all late fish were rotten. I'll try to find another source of water I guess.
Edit: Another game completely different save folder: still rotten. Gonna reinstall clean I guess.
PS: if I had to guess you have a bit of code that is replacing the base variable for Fish with Fish(Rotten) instead of just the item variable.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:56:18 pm by Jiokuy »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: May 04, 2012, 01:32:44 am »

I shall look into that as soon as I get home from school today.
My cabbages!

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: May 04, 2012, 01:39:53 pm »

I can however clean the fish, and the result is not rotten.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: May 04, 2012, 02:19:48 pm »

It should be fixed for the next release.
My cabbages!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: May 04, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »

Many fun failures already, and I have a few questions: How do I train survival? How do I properly deploy a tent? I'm trying to set up a relatively safe place in the middle of the forest, but I can't seem to be able to properly deploy it :C
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 777