Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294482 times)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8235 on: December 02, 2011, 07:07:00 pm »

Does anyone know what affects the speed of a weapon?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: December 02, 2011, 07:07:39 pm »

Weight and volume.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: December 02, 2011, 07:12:25 pm »

Ah, thanks.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: December 02, 2011, 07:19:51 pm »

Swords (katanas and the other one) would be nice as a rare goodie. Seems like the sort of thing someone might pawn, anyway.

Maybe a *VERY* low chance of an artifact? You know, some relic soemone found in the basement/attic or whatever and pawned because they had no idea what it was? This works even better if artifacts aren't obvious at first glace.

Yeah, those show up in pawn shops.

Jewelry could work nicely.  Golf clubs, sure.  But mostly it seems like pawn shop goods are valuables that're largely useless after an apocalypse...

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: December 02, 2011, 07:25:57 pm »

Once NPCs get put in, I assume that many of the "useless" items will retain some trade value.  So jewelry and other pre-apocalypse stuff might not be useful now, but might become valuable in future updates.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: December 02, 2011, 07:31:42 pm »

Often times there are hunting rifles in pawn shops, no ammo, however. Also baseball bats. I've seen good aluminum baseball bats in pawn shops before. Also antique weaponry, such as muzzle loaders from a pre world war I era. 

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: December 02, 2011, 11:20:30 pm »

I've gone back to teleporting with stairs again, only this time I'm moving whole map sections (2 diagonal in this case, went in a basement, came up a manhole (even taking off the cover  8) ) 2 mini-map squares northwest of my original position.  Haven't tested it, but might be related to the map update distance?  I've also teleported between houses.

For the record, now running a unix emulator thing on windows 7.  Works like a dream, twice as fast as running it windows, and looks better too!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: December 03, 2011, 12:03:18 am »

Perhaps they could have "wad of cash" that's now totally useless except as kindling
Girlinhat, have you tried my version yet? Wad's of cash are !!fun!!. (You can burn them for entertainment, one bill at a time, but there's a 1 in 20 chance of you singeing your fingers and dropping it, setting a random fire up to 3 squares away) ^_^

I'm being awfully pushy about mentioning this, despite not having worked on any Cataclysm stuff in over a month. I should probably shut up about now. :P

Sorry.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: December 03, 2011, 02:02:30 am »

Haven't you guys been watching Pawn Stars? Sheesh, come on. You could just make a pawn shop spawn nearly anything in there and get away with it. Just going to ramble off a big list of pawnables: Fur coats, fur anything really, antique weaponry (cannons and muskets, but also late 1800's rifles, swords were mentioned but don't forget spears, axes, crossbows, bows and arrows, maces, and every other method you can think of people tried to kill each other with before the gun came around), medieval armor (probably a bit silly but dammit I want to play a melee character in full plate!), vintage wine bottles, *special* clothing that's to the player just regular clothing (for instance, shoes worn in a movie, a monogrammed polo shirt that belonged to a famous person, 1800's backpack, ect. these should be mostly junky filler but rarely have gun holsters and fanny packs and maybe even kevlar), expensive cars parked out back if that ever matters, other vehicles too though like RVs and boats, coins and jewelry are nice bits of cash when NPC's are in, vintage books (1st editions, signed copies, or even just special books, I dunno, but people sell books), expensive tools like table saws, and even sciency stuff like those augmentation kits would probably get sold to a pawn shop if they were available to the general public and legal to own and sell. My vision would be a shop that can have almost anything in it like sewing kits and hotplates and whatever other crap that's not really valuable but still sellable. But mostly from a gameplay PoV it would wind up being a crapshoot that might have cool stuff and might be full of top hats and monocles. And I think that's fun, a lot of players like random chance.

Dare I ask, what's the in-world explanation (if any) of why certain zombies became, say, a shocker rather than a boomer or became a spitter rather than a fast zombie or became a hulk but not a brute? Or why any of these guys didn't stay a regular zombie? It's ok if there isn't one, I'm just asking if there is. My bet is that drug use is a factor judging by the rampant drug problem the cities all seem to have. I just wanted to throw this question out there for all to think about.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:29:10 am by Mr.Person »
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: December 03, 2011, 02:18:40 am »

Hey, I can't find a Windows Version for the newest version. Is there one yet?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: December 03, 2011, 03:48:44 am »

I have to agree about pawn shops there.  It's like the lottery!  Sometimes you stumble upon a gun stash, other times it's 1,300 fur coats!  There's already certain buildings that spawn in certain ways, for instances houses have a 1 in 150 chance of being infested by wasps (I think that's the ratio) so it'd be easy to have a 3 way split between weapon shops, fur shops, and junk/clutter shops for pawns.

As for the zombie creation... well, there is a whole backstory, hidden in the labs and mines and whatnot.  Sometimes you find a computer that you can access and read, and it contains small snipets of back story that you can piece together.  I got one talking about capturing a particularly slimy/acidic specimen and doing tests.  The rest of the computers shed light on the rest of the world.  As far as I know, NONE of this information is listed on the forums or wiki, it's totally non-spoiled.

Bobv2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: December 03, 2011, 04:37:59 am »

Curse you Whales for making me install ubuntu just to play your game.

I got fed up with waiting for a new windows version that works.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: December 03, 2011, 05:12:58 am »

I did the same with Mint :P

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: December 03, 2011, 06:40:26 am »

Curse? You should thank him  :P

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: December 03, 2011, 11:58:07 am »

Curse? You should thank him  :P

Nope.avi most games dont run on Linux. Most B12'ers are windows users due to DF originally being a windows only thing.
He should be prepared for a crappy operating system just as much full of bugs as windows, but with less support and more crappy freeware that dosent work for crap.
Other times you have to fight with that terminal that for god knows why has ls instead of dir, even though dir being much more obvious in abbreviation than "ls"
And sometimes, you just realise your rig got 100 times more crap due to the fact that theres no good drivers for your hardware.

Fuck linux, i have to say, atleast based on my experience with that lousy excuse for an operating system.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 777