Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294516 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8220 on: December 02, 2011, 03:58:44 am »

I'm playing still. I really urge for NPCS though now that more ingame tiles are calculated-And thank you for taking my advice/comments/whatever to heart, Whales, it's really awesome that you listened to the feedback. I'm sure other people talked about it too, though.

Of course!  I am just one small dev, there's a whole bunch of people with great ideas, and as always I'm really thankful to have such a great community of players and thinkers.

Incidentally, I spawned an NPC to see if they'd work okay with the new, bigger map--and every step is agonizingly slow, as they pathfind over the entire thing.  Time to tighten that up...  :D
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: December 02, 2011, 04:02:20 am »

*is itching to play but waiting on NPCs*

Duly noted.  I'm on it, I promise!

*very eagerly awaits, very happy for the new update and hopeful about the next!*
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: December 02, 2011, 04:07:32 am »

Your code has a lot of buffer overflows waiting to happen. This one is especially bad:

Code: [Select]
void monster::debug(player &u)
{
 char buff[2];
 debugmsg("%s has %d steps planned.", name().c_str(), plans.size());
 debugmsg("%s Moves %d Speed %d HP %d",name().c_str(), moves, speed, hp);
 for (int i = 0; i < plans.size(); i++) {
  sprintf(buff, "%d", i); //< THIS IS GOING TO BREAK THINGS IF plans.size() exceeds 9.
  if (i < 10) mvaddch(plans[i].y - SEEY + u.posy, plans[i].x - SEEX + u.posx,
                      buff[0]);
  else mvaddch(plans[i].y - SEEY + u.posy, plans[i].x - SEEX + u.posx, buff[1]);
 }
 getch();
}
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: December 02, 2011, 12:36:36 pm »

I still think Whales should add in my playable musical instruments to mainline. o_o

That is all.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: December 02, 2011, 01:52:02 pm »

Your code has a lot of buffer overflows waiting to happen. This one is especially bad:

Code: [Select]
void monster::debug(player &u)
{
 char buff[2];
 debugmsg("%s has %d steps planned.", name().c_str(), plans.size());
 debugmsg("%s Moves %d Speed %d HP %d",name().c_str(), moves, speed, hp);
 for (int i = 0; i < plans.size(); i++) {
  sprintf(buff, "%d", i); //< THIS IS GOING TO BREAK THINGS IF plans.size() exceeds 9.
  if (i < 10) mvaddch(plans[i].y - SEEY + u.posy, plans[i].x - SEEX + u.posx,
                      buff[0]);
  else mvaddch(plans[i].y - SEEY + u.posy, plans[i].x - SEEX + u.posx, buff[1]);
 }
 getch();
}

I'm sloppy with code in debug functions, especially ones that're completely defunct  :P

I still think Whales should add in my playable musical instruments to mainline. o_o

That is all.

I intend to!  At some point!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: December 02, 2011, 03:38:20 pm »

While I was gone, I missed several updates. Too bad I missed my pawn shops being put in :'( excitement lost, heh. 

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: December 02, 2011, 03:38:50 pm »

They were just put in, so be excited :)
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: December 02, 2011, 05:31:02 pm »

While I was gone, I missed several updates. Too bad I missed my pawn shops being put in :'( excitement lost, heh. 
They were just put in, so be excited :)

And they kinda suck at this point  :P  There weren't many already-existing items that seemed appropriate for a pawn shop, so you'll find the occasional high-end electronics (there's like, three of those in the game), fine cigars and suits, and rarely a handgun.  Any further ideas are appreciated, I wouldn't mind adding 4-8 new items.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: December 02, 2011, 05:57:05 pm »

Silly melee weapons and odd findings for flavor! Stuff I'd find at a pawn shop usually are golf clubs, hockey sticks, fireworks(depending where you are, of course), jewelry, and pretty much anything. I don't get why you're having trouble figuring what to stock... The only thing you wouldn't find are military-grade explosives/weapons and food. Hell, you could also have a backroom/safe in the pawn shop that has illegal goods like some pawn shops do. :P

Also, a safe as a storage device. YES. Non-flammable. >_>

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: December 02, 2011, 06:02:30 pm »

Golf clubs, the solid titanium type that sends zed heads flying into the next zone!  Maybe also jewelry, which gives a small (1-2?) morale buff while worn, or a periodic buff if that feels too OP.

Not that morale means much.  By noon I've usually got more than I'll ever need.  Tequila is a miracle drug.

NINJA: On the forums we were discussing air-drop packages that you could find throughout the map, that weren't recovered by whatever military they were supporting.  We wanted the player to smash it open to get at the goodies, but weren't quite sure how.  A similar smash function would work well for safes.  Perhaps they could have "wad of cash" that's now totally useless except as kindling :D  And a handgun and/or ammo.  Safes in houses containing guns and money would make sense as well.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: December 02, 2011, 06:05:14 pm »

Golf clubs, the solid titanium type that sends zed heads flying into the next zone!  Maybe also jewelry, which gives a small (1-2?) morale buff while worn, or a periodic buff if that feels too OP.

Not that morale means much.  By noon I've usually got more than I'll ever need.  Tequila is a miracle drug.

NINJA: On the forums we were discussing air-drop packages that you could find throughout the map, that weren't recovered by whatever military they were supporting.  We wanted the player to smash it open to get at the goodies, but weren't quite sure how.  A similar smash function would work well for safes.  Perhaps they could have "wad of cash" that's now totally useless except as kindling :D  And a handgun and/or ammo.  Safes in houses containing guns and money would make sense as well.

Lol, I ninja'd you on safes, jewelry and gold clubs, unless you started your post after I did.

But aye, all good ideas there :)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: December 02, 2011, 06:16:06 pm »

Swords (katanas and the other one) would be nice as a rare goodie. Seems like the sort of thing someone might pawn, anyway.

Maybe a *VERY* low chance of an artifact? You know, some relic soemone found in the basement/attic or whatever and pawned because they had no idea what it was? This works even better if artifacts aren't obvious at first glace.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:32 pm »

There's another sword?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: December 02, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »

Yeah, rapier I think... It was added at the same time the gentleman stuff (suit, cigars, etc) was added. It's similar in power to the katana, and also horribly rare like the katana.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: December 02, 2011, 06:58:46 pm »

Yeah, rapier I think... It was added at the same time the gentleman stuff (suit, cigars, etc) was added. It's similar in power to the katana, and also horribly rare like the katana.

It's quite weaker than the katana, actually, but also more plentiful. (Rapier's frequency is at 3, while katana is at 2.)
Still, might be better to up the frequency a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 777