Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294699 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #8100 on: November 21, 2011, 01:40:51 pm »

I think the current mongroup system works well enought, although it might be more realistic to have zombies already spawned on any maptile you enter. That'd make things awfully difficult though. Also, have roving mobs - like the current mongroups, but moving around. Maybe have them represented as a red '!' on the overmap? You could do this for zombies, and then also maybe for giant locusts or something?. Maybe have the giant social insects (ants bees wasps) swarm occasionally?
Split giant bees/maybe wasps into two types. Workers and Soldiers. Workers fly around, gathering things, perhaps mostly sweet food items, and ignore zombies and humans unless they get attacked, at which point they sting once/a few times then try to run. If they make it away, then, depending on the distance to the hive, a swarm of 10-30 warrior bees come after a certain period. Also, the bees buzzing would be quite loud and routinely attract zombies.

Thus, if you stockpile certain types of food, namely sodas and possibly fruits, you attract bees. If you wish to kill them, you must do it fast and hard, else you summon a horde of warriors, which attack everything, but also attract even bigger hordes of zombies due to the mass noise they produce.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: November 21, 2011, 01:50:46 pm »

I'm in support of population control, but I'm against total removal.  If a tile has a population of 20, and you kill 50 zombies with on box of bullets, then the game is going to get awfully boring once the town is empty.  I know that there's always more towns, but abandoning your base to go play the game won't be very entertaining.

A "Game of Life" style system might be best.  A tile may be cleared via repeated killings, halting all spawns.  For every neighboring zombie tile, an empty tile has a chance to regenerate by a certain amount.  This way, it's possible to clear an area and build a safe house, but you still have to make regular patrols to keep the horde from encroaching on you.  And to keep the game from losing all difficulty, you could still encounter roving horde events (events right now, not overmap movement) that would trigger a large wave of some 20-30 greens plus assorted specials as befitting your skill and/or what day it is.  A roving horde event could depend on the cleared size.  If you've cleared out 9 tiles to do a little base, then it's unlikely, but if you've cleared out 50 tiles and started reclaiming the town, then the roving horde event is more likely.  If you have a small area cleared you're more likely to step 2 paces outside and encounter zombies, so a roving horde would just be a pain.  If you've got 5 miles around you clean, then you're probably looking for excitement and wouldn't mind a bit of a horde to keep you entertaining.  In future releases, hordes could be roving overmap entities spawning some distance from the player, perhaps lead by a smart zombie scientist and leading the horde along some random path and/or directly towards the player.

For the record though, I'm against total extinction.  You need infinite spawns if you want to keep the game infinitely interesting, otherwise you get a "win" scenario, and let's be honest, no one is meant to win a roguelike.

NINJA: Soda is in cans, insects can't smell it until it's opened.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8102 on: November 21, 2011, 03:31:50 pm »

I don't think making individual tiles have populations is worth it, It's a lot of effort for very little reward. the current mongroup system is more than sufficient. As for clearing zombies, I actually think they should die out naturally over time, as they get predated by giant insects and such. But the other monsters should multiply and become a greater and greater threat as time goes on.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: November 21, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »

I don't think making individual tiles have populations is worth it, It's a lot of effort for very little reward. the current mongroup system is more than sufficient. As for clearing zombies, I actually think they should die out naturally over time, as they get predated by giant insects and such. But the other monsters should multiply and become a greater and greater threat as time goes on.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

It also removes the self-balancing difficulty system, where a big horde is followed by a breather period.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8104 on: November 21, 2011, 04:29:59 pm »

So how about the roving hordes? Do you think those are worthy ideas>

edit - You know what? I'm going to tackle this myself. Moving hordes, coming right up.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:39:38 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8105 on: November 21, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »

How loud are bows? Whenever I'm traveling thruogh the city, if I shoot one, more will often come. Also, is there a way to edit things in the windows port, or do I have to partake in a Linux emulator of some sort?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8106 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:08 pm »

How loud are bows? Whenever I'm traveling thruogh the city, if I shoot one, more will often come. Also, is there a way to edit things in the windows port, or do I have to partake in a Linux emulator of some sort?

They're silent.  You're seeing a coincidence there.

You can edit things in the windows port, the main page of Aposos's github has the source.  You'll need a compilier, of course.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8107 on: November 21, 2011, 06:34:35 pm »

Idea:

One in every 15 zombies should be a screamer. When hit or when it sights prey it will scream, alerting others. And you will never know which ones will scream because they look like normal zombies.

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8108 on: November 21, 2011, 06:38:12 pm »

Idea:

One in every 15 zombies should be a screamer. When hit or when it sights prey it will scream, alerting others. And you will never know which ones will scream because they look like normal zombies.
Oh god. It's like a shit sundae with cherry on top
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8109 on: November 21, 2011, 06:39:05 pm »

Idea:

Oh god. It's like a shit sundae with cherry on top
Wait does that mean you like it?

Because I'm gonna be honest with you, that doesn't sound tasty.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: November 21, 2011, 06:44:50 pm »

Why would we need that when we already have shriekers and boomers making noise?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8111 on: November 21, 2011, 06:48:11 pm »

Why would we need that when we already have shriekers and boomers making noise?
Because in the movies sometimes a zombie yells for no goddamn reason and it makes drama happen.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #8112 on: November 21, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »

Neh, screamers are enough trouble when you can see them. No thanks.

edit- although actually, now that I think about it, I had an idea like that. Basically all zombies are randomly generated. So some are larger, or faster, or tougher, some scream, some spit, some zap, some are necromancers, etc. Some may have multiple of these things at once.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:35:49 pm by Angle »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8113 on: November 21, 2011, 08:05:20 pm »

I'd love if we couldn't tell a zombie's type on first glance. Maybe hulks would be obvious but maybe identifying them could be tied to a skill. -evil-

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8114 on: November 21, 2011, 09:21:13 pm »

Neh, screamers are enough trouble when you can see them. No thanks.

edit- although actually, now that I think about it, I had an idea like that. Basically all zombies are randomly generated. So some are larger, or faster, or tougher, some scream, some spit, some zap, some are necromancers, etc. Some may have multiple of these things at once.

Yeah, I've been toying with ideas like that.  One of the thing I loved about Borderlands was the randomly generated guns, but that doesn't really fit here.  However, a similar system for zombies could definitely work.  The tricky part would be displaying it so that a zombie's abilities are apparent instantly (or at least after they're used once), like they are now.  No fun to try to guess which monster spat at you, or worse, tracking it manually.

Pages: 1 ... 539 540 [541] 542 543 ... 777