Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295228 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7755 on: November 09, 2011, 07:19:07 pm »

Them too, but they can be obtained fresh easily anyway, so I didn't think they needed mentioning.
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7756 on: November 09, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »

Could I butcher my previous character and eat him?

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: November 09, 2011, 08:30:59 pm »

You can't cook meat sammiches, but frozen dinners, pizzas and fruit pies can all be cooked to magically make them fresh again.

And the world is persistent, until you delete the save folder, it's the same world no matter how many games you play.

Save folder? I play on the putty client; where on earth would the save folder be located then?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: November 09, 2011, 08:33:53 pm »

Yeah, you probably could.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: November 09, 2011, 09:14:47 pm »

Small suggestion: Being able to cook meat (and other simple things) without having to use a pot or pan. In real life, you can totally cook meat over a fire on, say, a spit. Making a construction or simple crafting recipe would work here, but it would be nice (and realistic, and in-character) to be able to at least cook "veggy", meat, and some other very simple things without having to carry around a pot, using, say, heavy sticks or a wooden spear or the like.

Of course, until cooking outdoors gets less bothersome/interruptible/lung-wrenching, it's less important. Of course, for all I know, that's already happened or planned.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: November 09, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »

Yep.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: November 09, 2011, 10:06:36 pm »

Small suggestion: Being able to cook meat (and other simple things) without having to use a pot or pan. In real life, you can totally cook meat over a fire on, say, a spit. Making a construction or simple crafting recipe would work here, but it would be nice (and realistic, and in-character) to be able to at least cook "veggy", meat, and some other very simple things without having to carry around a pot, using, say, heavy sticks or a wooden spear or the like.

Of course, until cooking outdoors gets less bothersome/interruptible/lung-wrenching, it's less important. Of course, for all I know, that's already happened or planned.

It's already happened.  It's quite easy to make a long-lasting fire that doesn't produce any smoke (aside from an occasional small puff, which is harmless).  It is still rather interruptable, I suppose, but that's unlikely to change.

Anyway, replacing the meat/veggy cooking to allow you to use a stick or spear makes sense.

You can't cook meat sammiches, but frozen dinners, pizzas and fruit pies can all be cooked to magically make them fresh again.

And the world is persistent, until you delete the save folder, it's the same world no matter how many games you play.

Save folder? I play on the putty client; where on earth would the save folder be located then?

It's located on the server you play on.  So, yeah, you can't delete it.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: November 09, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »

Yep.
Indeed. Nothing is more fun than stashing your old character's corpse and using it as a faucet.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: November 09, 2011, 10:42:59 pm »

It's already happened.  It's quite easy to make a long-lasting fire that doesn't produce any smoke (aside from an occasional small puff, which is harmless).  It is still rather interruptable, I suppose, but that's unlikely to change.

Anyway, replacing the meat/veggy cooking to allow you to use a stick or spear makes sense.

Can we get marshmallows while you're at it? They seem appropriately 1950s kitschy to make for good apocalypse fodder.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: November 09, 2011, 11:47:51 pm »

And Smores.

Oh man, Smores and zombies.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: November 10, 2011, 12:00:42 am »

Smores roasted over a zombie?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: November 10, 2011, 12:27:39 am »

Ok I'm looking to play the game but... installation seems a bit more than involved.  I have to instal five other programs and meddle with the source code to start?  That's rather... disheartening.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: November 10, 2011, 12:36:38 am »

Really? I just downloaded one package and started playing immediately.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: November 10, 2011, 12:44:59 am »

The OP of this thread and the official forums both refer to compiling options, I can't see anywhere that you can just download a .exe or anything...

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: November 10, 2011, 12:45:56 am »

https://github.com/aposos/Cataclysm
Although there have been tales of some fix or other.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 777