Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295371 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7695 on: November 07, 2011, 11:20:10 pm »

I can second the "zombie hordes of death right at the beginning of the game" thing. In my last game, I had to flee into a lab for safety. Yes, that's right, I hid in a dungeon to be safe. Seriously, those zombies were insane. Every time I ran, I just met another horde. And it started at like an hour into the game. There were no breaks between hordes, either - The second I escaped one, another showed up.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: November 07, 2011, 11:31:55 pm »

I just survived until late summer and ended up killing myself by accident with a molotov. What a lame way to die after all I survived.

Anyways, I also wanted to say that I never really had any problem with the early game. I just grab a trenchcoat, a pair of cargo pants, and a hatchet and I'm set.
My personality profile.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: November 07, 2011, 11:44:16 pm »

I just grab a trenchcoat, a pair of cargo pants, and a hatchet and I'm set.
Replace hatchet with spear and you have me.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: November 07, 2011, 11:51:46 pm »

Day 6 of my nomad, zombies are nonexistant in the wilderness. What will kill me? The zombies? Ants? Bees? Wolves? Triffids?

No, it'll be the fungaloids. Everywhere I go, every other map tile, I will meet constant, endless armies of these things. I dare not get too close, or else I'll catch the infection, but navigating around them is annoying and I can't hide in military bunkers forever.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: November 08, 2011, 12:44:47 am »

It's not that easy to catch the infection. I've only caught it once.

Don't mouth covering items protect from it somewhat, too?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: November 08, 2011, 12:55:57 am »

In theory Air Filtration Aug should protect but so far its proved to be useless.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: November 08, 2011, 01:49:19 am »

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: November 08, 2011, 03:46:21 am »

Every time the sound effect happens is when they release the infectious spores, and that's only a concern if you're standing right next to them. If there's a 1-tile gap between you and the fungus-spewing enemy, you should be fine. That said, it's pretty damn stupid to melee fungal creatures without a gas mask on your face and royal jelly in your inventory for the inevitable infection that will sneak through said gas mask very rarely if ever.

Also, doing some research with debug features:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: November 08, 2011, 04:03:12 am »

Probably has already been discussed, but the range of vision is a little too narrow? How many meters is a tiles?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: November 08, 2011, 04:23:24 am »

Probably has already been discussed, but the range of vision is a little too narrow? How many meters is a tiles?

Range of vision during a clear day is 40 tiles; this comes out to maybe 80 metes.  That's a bit small but it works well enough.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: November 08, 2011, 05:02:10 am »

That's one of the mainstay oddities of roguelikes. You're basically nearsighted to the point where you can't even see a block down the street.

Of course, there's really no way around it, since you can only display so many tiles at a time.

Range of vision during a clear day is 40 tiles; this comes out to maybe 80 metes.  That's a bit small but it works well enough.

That's obviously not the vision you see on-screen, though. The stuff you can really see only has a radius of something like 12-14 tiles.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: November 08, 2011, 05:32:31 am »

I've no idea how easy this would be, but it would be good if when looking/firing/throwing the display scrolled, centred around the cursor.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: November 08, 2011, 05:40:38 am »

One problem is that human visual acuity lessens with distance, but there's no way to really represent that in-game.

For instance, from several city blocks away, you can recognize a person as a person, but not necessarily as the specific person he is. You also probably won't see a soda bottle on the ground. You're also likely to notice large things rather than their components; being able to see a house from a mile away (assuming an open field) is fine, but being able to see its size and shape and components just as easily as if you were ten feet away from it is no good.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: November 08, 2011, 05:48:34 am »

One problem is that human visual acuity lessens with distance, but there's no way to really represent that in-game.

For instance, from several city blocks away, you can recognize a person as a person, but not necessarily as the specific person he is. You also probably won't see a soda bottle on the ground. You're also likely to notice large things rather than their components; being able to see a house from a mile away (assuming an open field) is fine, but being able to see its size and shape and components just as easily as if you were ten feet away from it is no good.

As you look further and further away the screen zooms out more, making the image more and more unclear until you can only spot rough forms near the end? Doesn't really apply to cataclysm, but it'll be a way to do it.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: November 08, 2011, 12:06:28 pm »

That's obviously not the vision you see on-screen, though. The stuff you can really see only has a radius of something like 12-14 tiles.

12 tiles is what the player sees.  What the character sees is 40 tiles.

Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 777