Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295406 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7650 on: November 05, 2011, 09:38:20 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: November 05, 2011, 09:41:33 am »

thank!! I have a wrong adress.... :O)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: November 05, 2011, 09:55:40 am »

On marloss berries
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: November 05, 2011, 10:59:56 am »

Yeah, melee combat is overpowered as it is.

I think we need a nerf that makes it less effective against things which you shouldn't be able to whack to death (hulks, bears. Fungal spires, I guess. Ugly large things in general) but still lets you kill fast things that should be killable by it (regular zombies, etc...)

Melee is not really overpowered, IMO. If gun ammo was more common (or more accurately, it was easier to match guns with correct ammo) or could be manufactured/purchased then there would be no reason to ever touch melee.

Basically anything melee does, guns do from range and with 0 skill required. Try killing a giant wasp with an axe with 0 skill? You're dead. Handgun? 1 - 2 shots, it's dead before it's even in range. Even with skill, there's a chance you don't 1-shot the wasp and it gets to sting you with the melee weapon.

The only thing I'd touch about melee combat (at least in the short term) is maybe make the crushing stun a little more rare.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: November 05, 2011, 11:23:21 am »

Melee is not really overpowered, IMO. If gun ammo was more common (or more accurately, it was easier to match guns with correct ammo) or could be manufactured/purchased then there would be no reason to ever touch melee.
Melee is silent, guns are not. Moreover, melee as it is now allows to kill very easily things that are not supposed to be killed easily (eg Hulks). I think, just like you can't kill a Hulk  with a .22, you shouldn't be able to kill it with a crowbar, either. To kill the larger zombies requires heavier ordinance (most commonly a couple of shotgun slugs. Which makes killing them noisy). Likewise, they shouldn't be killable by normal melee weapons (should require at the very least a katana or a machete), and should have drawbacks (at the very least no melee stun).

Basically anything melee does, guns do from range and with 0 skill required. Try killing a giant wasp with an axe with 0 skill? You're dead. Handgun? 1 - 2 shots, it's dead before it's even in range. Even with skill, there's a chance you don't 1-shot the wasp and it gets to sting you with the melee weapon.
You do require skill, if you intend to hit anything beyond melee range.

I think the whole thing as it stands makes melee a no-brainer for characters. That at 0 skill guns are better is irrelevant. It's so good, and training it is so easy (so much easier than gun skills, in which you're limited by their noisiness, and the lack of ammo) that makes all other combat skills pale in comparison.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: November 05, 2011, 11:50:20 am »

So basically you're saying encountering a Hulk before you've had a chance to raid a military bunker should be an instant game over?

And guns are really easy to train, the trick is to train up using the guns that have really common ammo types, and as for noise, there's a reason we have silencers in the game/
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: November 05, 2011, 11:52:46 am »

Point on stunning hulks.  I might make the stun effect harder to achieve against large monsters, or perhaps compare the damage dealt to the remaining HP of a monster to see if they're stunned.

I also need to make shooting fast-moving monsters more difficult, and maybe turn up the difficulty of shooting small monsters.  Small monsters are marginally more difficult, but not enough; fast-moving monsters offer no reduction in accuracy, while they do generally have a high dodge speed, meaning they're tough in melee but easy as always in ranged.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: November 05, 2011, 11:56:24 am »

I have a dream: this game with isometric or 3d graphics......

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: November 05, 2011, 01:57:35 pm »

Why? Much better as it is.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: November 05, 2011, 03:58:30 pm »

Why? Much better as it is.

Graphics never hurt anyone, plus they'd be good for those adverse to ASCII.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: November 05, 2011, 04:10:20 pm »

Graphics never hurt anyone

Graphics take time and effort to implement, and to support, and aren't necessarily beneficial to the game. It also makes adding additional content more difficult, because graphics need to be created for them.

Say Whales adds some new, weird creature or terrain type or what-have-you. An ASCII version can be released instantly since he wouldn't have to wait on new graphical content. A graphical release, on the other hand, would be delayed. This could potentially get annoying, as people who prefer graphics would either have to wait for that, or continue to play an old version. The best-case scenario is if Whales has someone on hand to make graphics at a moment's notice (or does them himself and doesn't take much time to do so), causing minimal delay.

Oh, and you meant "averse", not "adverse".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:13:02 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: November 05, 2011, 04:16:27 pm »

IIRC there were tilesett versions, but yeah, it's not practical to keep the main branch tilesetty, I think. Unless you have a really big team like crawl.

And having decent diabloesque graphics is even less practical :-P

Besides, Cypher had it right in "The Matrix". After a while you stop seeing the symbols :-P

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: November 05, 2011, 04:30:19 pm »

Guns are not terrible hard to train either - like merchant of menace says. shoot off common ammo types, or even better shoot off arrows to train firearms (arrows are effectively unlimited). Melee at least requires enemies to train on (and requires those enemies to be in range to hit you back)  I don't see how you can say high skill melee being pretty good at killing stuff right next to you and hitting you back is overpowered when high guns skill headshots stuff you can't even see on the screen yet.

It just comes down to the crushing stun. If whales makes it harder to crushing stun hulks (and other big guys) like he mentioned, then I think it's balanced pretty well, because you most likely won't one-shot that hulk and he WILL hurt you a lot in return meaning if you've got a gun you will want to use that.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: November 05, 2011, 04:57:14 pm »

Oh, and you meant "averse", not "adverse".

Probably. Thanks for correction.

In any case, I didn't say we need to drop everything we're doing and just focus on adding some pretty pictures. I know ASCII is better if you want fast development, what I was saying is that graphics aren't totally bad.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #7664 on: November 05, 2011, 05:28:47 pm »

Personally, I actually have a vast preference for ASCII, to the extent that I probably would not play the game unless there was an ASCII option. Tilesets are just too ugly.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 777