Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295574 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7560 on: November 02, 2011, 04:45:28 pm »

By the time you've depleted all convntional ammo avaiable you  should have quite a few options besides that (archery, melee, combat bionics)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: November 02, 2011, 04:55:27 pm »

First commit after getting power back!  Hooray!  It's small, but hey, it's something.

Clean build required, saves incompatible.

Features:
  • Crafting rewrite.  The way that components are used up is more intelligent.  You can opt to use some ingredients from your inventory, and some from the ground.  New items don't get a magical container out of nowhere.  Crashes should be much less common--please report any you encounter.
  • New item: bayonet.  Adds stabbing damage to guns when used in melee.  Craftable with level 1 in gun skill.

Bug Fixes:
  • Some memory leaks fixed.
  • You can reload a flamethrower from a gas pump properly.  Flamethrowers go "Fwoosh!" not "Plink!"  Flamethrowers leave a short-lived spot of flame on the ground (of course, it can spread and not be short-lived at all, if fuel is available).
  • While setting a C4 timer, setting to '0' will cancel the use.
  • Layout in some lab finales fixed.
  • ! saves a character template, not S--so you can use S in a character name.
  • Some typos fixed.

Additionally, I'd like to thank the following donors, who I've thanks at the Whalesdev forums but not here:
Lubos Remek
Dochappy
Drevlin
R. McGee
Frigidzephyr
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: November 02, 2011, 05:16:29 pm »

God these feral dogs are strong. I had a baddass character (named Igor) with a katana and must have killed at least 100 zombies (of many varieties) before being chewed down by a lone dog... That was my best character so far too...
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: November 02, 2011, 05:31:10 pm »

Nerf fire damage, and it shouldn't be an issue.

Hell, I'd figure fires should have a chance to randomly go out, like in reality; rather than feed on a quantum stockpile of fuel that never seems to truly disappear. A molotov shouldn't burn a house to the ground when hurled at the outside of a house. Trust me, this is coming from someone who has handled minor explosives in Brazil and have set myself on fire a few times. :P

To explain,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, like I was saying. Nerfing fire damage would go a long way to make things more realistic and !!FUN!! without catastrophic stupidity. Like the whole "Ohh thunder storm. Let me go inside for safety from the r- OH GOD THE WHOLE HOUSE IS ON FIRE!" That's ruined perfectly good games WAAAAY too many times.

Unless you built a bonfire in a house with 2x4s or set fire to a liquor store or gun shop, houses shouldn't catastrophically melt in little time. I've seen quite a bit of fires, and lit a few myself. The few times I've seen a house go up, it took the better part of a day to burn, and there was still structure intact. In the least, it should take a few hours to burn. I've seen entire houses in Cataclysm go down in less than an hour. That's a bit too quickly to be safe. :P

An a-hole griefer can easily set a pair of socks on fire in a pool of booze and voila, there goes the 3-months spent on a custom-built multiplayer fortress.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: November 02, 2011, 05:34:05 pm »

*jawdrop*

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: November 02, 2011, 05:40:50 pm »

*jawdrop*

My mother is Brazilian. Its normal in South-American farming communities. In the time the US was fighting the Nazi's, my dictator-like grandfather owned a large portion of the city we come from, back when it was all farmland. Over the years we split it up and sold it. Now, the land where our farm was is now half of the city. You may have heard of it. God forbid you did, that place has a horrible reputation for being the cradle of stupidity and ignorance in the Brazilian community. Governador Valadares, home of the mountain Ibituruna where the international paragliding competition is held.

EDIT: Brazil was a military dictatorship around that time, and my grandfather was one of the paranoid anti-government types hehe. On both American and Brazilian side we come from Germans, though my Father's side is more recently Dutch, my Brazilian grandmother is polish and my Brazilian grandfather's mother was a Native American (Brazilian) something-or-other.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:43:38 pm by Ehndras »
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: November 02, 2011, 05:43:34 pm »

Yeah, I can agree with Ehndras.

I've actually burned a shed down once as a kid, (accidentally, of course) and it burned for quite a while. Shed might be a wrong word, it was a tiny, 5x5m shack used for drying hay. A house would definitely go on for hours.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: November 02, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »

An a-hole griefer can easily set a pair of socks on fire in a pool of booze and voila, there goes the 3-months spent on a custom-built multiplayer fortress.
I only read the below part, and took me a lil bit to realize you meant the idiom. STOEPUD BRAN

An a-hole griefer can easily set a pair of socks on fire in a pool of booze and voila
"Voila? I WANT TO BURN VOILA, WE SHALL POWER OUR CARS ON IT AND- oh."

I've actually burned a shed down once as a kid, (accidentally, of course) and it burned for quite a while. Shed might be a wrong word, it was a tiny, 5x5m shack used for drying hay. A house would definitely go on for hours.
Yeah, they burn for a while.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: November 02, 2011, 05:48:06 pm »

*cough* Accidentally. >_>

I've thankfully never burned anything serious down. I'm too paranoid and meticulous for that. I did have fun blowing minor things up in Brazil though, like walls, toilets, and derelict things of the sort. For the most part, my cousin, my best friend and I grew up setting controlled fires to burn things always making sure to keep water and protection nearby incase it went to hell.

...BY FAR the most idiotic idea I ever had was to burn things while hiding underneath my WOODEN PORCH in the house I was born in. Yeah. Bonfire. Under a wooden porch. In 95 degree weather. Genius.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: November 02, 2011, 05:51:02 pm »

BACK ON TOPIC,

Whales, how about we change it up?

Maybe add minor rain forests, deserts, radioactive wastes, etc. Make it more volatile, more random. Patches of dead area between cities, the further along you get. I'd figure a nuclear war or zombie breakout or whatever would drastically screw with the environment.

Worsening state of the world as the game progresses would definitely make it more fun rather than "Day 572. I've found my 32nd forest-laden rural town. Will keep going until I eventually find my way out of New England. Eventually."

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: November 02, 2011, 06:04:08 pm »

I did slow fire considerably recently, but yeah, it might need slowing even further.  Keep in mind that I'm looking for 60% realism, 30% movie realism (e.g. big firey molotov explosions), 10% game realism (keeping things short and quick-paced).  Maybe even 40-30-20.  Around there.

I am trying to stay true to the New England setting so rainforests don't make much sense.  Deserts might work to a degree.

Someone once (forgive me for being too lazy to look up the thread) had the idea of themed cities.  This one is radioactive, this one is plant-overrun, this one is a ghost town, etc.  I like this idea a lot and will probably implement it at some point.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »

I did slow fire considerably recently, but yeah, it might need slowing even further.  Keep in mind that I'm looking for 60% realism, 30% movie realism (e.g. big firey molotov explosions), 10% game realism (keeping things short and quick-paced).  Maybe even 40-30-20.  Around there.

I am trying to stay true to the New England setting so rainforests don't make much sense.  Deserts might work to a degree.

Someone once (forgive me for being too lazy to look up the thread) had the idea of themed cities.  This one is radioactive, this one is plant-overrun, this one is a ghost town, etc.  I like this idea a lot and will probably implement it at some point.

Actually, themed-cities is VERY cool and gives us an incentive to explore, since each city will contain architecture, creatures and supplies impossible or difficult to find in other cities. Every town you pass will be a new experience. :)

Yeah, I definitely support that one.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: November 02, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »

Whales, when we get NPCs eventually, will we be able to witness one NPC robbing another? I like the thought of shouting "I AM BATMAN" and stomping a thief.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: November 02, 2011, 06:11:54 pm »

Whales, when we get NPCs eventually, will we be able to witness one NPC robbing another? I like the thought of shouting "I AM BATMAN" and stomping a thief.
Bonus points if you only use unarmed, dress up as the Caped Crusader, and throw bats :P

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: November 02, 2011, 06:17:29 pm »

Bonus points if you only use unarmed, dress up as the Caped Crusader, and throw bats :P
Even more bonus points if we're able to gene-engineer to make it literal.
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 777