Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1295876 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7395 on: October 27, 2011, 01:46:35 pm »

Nobody said it was a joke, but it's certainly less serious than other dependences. Cocaine withdrawal might make an addict feel bad, but alcohol or opiate withdrawals can well be lethal.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: October 27, 2011, 02:54:12 pm »

Don't different drugs cause different withdrawal effects in Cataclysm anyhow?

What I'd like to see are multiple-component drugs actually split up into their multiple components. For example, there's really no such thing as "flu medicine" except as a combination of other things, like expectorants, cough-suppressants, anti-histamines (not that this makes a whole lot of sense for the flu), NSAIDs (so flu medication should probably have the same effect tylenol has or would have in-game), and whatever else. It's not really a pressing problem or anything, but it would be nice in general if an item could have multiple different effects.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: October 27, 2011, 02:59:06 pm »

Actually, a proper medication designed to actually fight the flu would likely contain a weak antiviral. The rest of that stuff would be in a generic pain relief kit.

It would be nice to have a few more options in the drug field, though. At least the ability to get our hands on some MDMA, LSD, salvia, or other Fun substances, and maybe a few more pain relievers. Perhaps Rohypnol to make longer-lasting morale penalties go away (not that there are any of those that I know of, so likely pointless).
Nothing important here, move along.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: October 27, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »

Actually, a proper medication designed to actually fight the flu would likely contain a weak antiviral. The rest of that stuff would be in a generic pain relief kit.

It would be nice to have a few more options in the drug field, though. At least the ability to get our hands on some MDMA, LSD, salvia, or other Fun substances, and maybe a few more pain relievers. Perhaps Rohypnol to make longer-lasting morale penalties go away (not that there are any of those that I know of, so likely pointless).
I thought you said saliva for a second :P

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: October 27, 2011, 03:07:30 pm »

Salvia divinorum, also known as Diviner's Sage. It's a potent but short-acting hallucinogen. It's very recently become illegal to use it as a drug here in South Carolina, but my neighbor apparently is still allowed to own the plant itself.

Someone with enough of a particular skill could probably be able to pick Diviner's Sage out from other ornamental plants. That could also extend to things like mushrooms for a person in a forest.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:12:07 pm by TheBronzePickle »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: October 27, 2011, 03:13:05 pm »

I thought you said saliva for a second :P
Yep...

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: October 27, 2011, 03:17:56 pm »

All addictions are different.  As in real life, the only one that may be lethal is alcohol addiction.  Others represent cravings more than anything else.  Cocaine is indeed physically addictive; it affects your dopamine receptors or passages or something, if I'm not mistaken.  However, the withdrawal effects of cocaine are not as bad as other drugs.  Currently, the only drug that is tolerence-forming is opiates; pills (and heroin) will have lesser effects the more addicted you are, and you might have to moe from codeine to oxycodone to heroin.

More drugs would probably be nice!  Ecstasy could be a big morale boost with a harsh depression afterwards.  There's already hallucinogenic mushrooms in the game, and LSD and/or salvia wouldn't be too hard to add.

If you have severe negative morale effects, Prozac can be used to counteract it.  Not terribly realistic, I realize, but close enough.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: October 27, 2011, 03:28:27 pm »

Now that you bring it up, it shouldn't, really. Cocaine doesn't cause physical dependence.

(of course, psychological dependence is another matter entirely.)

Actually, recent studies of cocaine addicts using MRI scanners have shown that long term cocaine use actually changes the physical structure of the part of the brain that deals with pleasure and rewards. I forget what its called, but basically its the bit of your brain that that rates how important stuff is. You know, tells you to stop eating when your full, and that you don't need another cigarette for twenty minutes because you've just had one. Anyway, long term coke use apparently ends up changing the structure of the brain thingy in such a way that cocaine is always a the top of the list, so to speak.

snorting 15 cocaine in a day seems to lead to withdrawal symptoms for sum reason

The way I see it, when you find an eight-pack of coke in cataclysm it's about two grams, since that would make eight quite large lines (or "uses") and when you do coke in this game, you really go for it if the stat gains are anything to go by. So if you do 15 bumps in a day, that's almost four grams of coke (also I assume that the coke we find is some good shit, not all cut away to nothing with baby formula. Seems the dealers of the cataclysm world are all honest folk who have never heard of selling a mixture of 60% rat poison, 35% laxatives and 5% nail clippings). Even if you're one crazy coke head motherfucker, doing nearly four grams in a twenty-four-hours-awake binge is going to give you one hell of a comedown.  Unless you keep doing more coke, that is....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:30:44 pm by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: October 27, 2011, 03:35:50 pm »

Unless you keep doing more coke, that is....

And this is why I need to introduce some form of amphetamine psychosis ;)  Delusional parasitosis, hallucinations of monsters appearing for just a single turn, and extreme paranoia and distrust of NPCs if I can manage that somehow.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: October 27, 2011, 04:01:58 pm »

Okay, sure, but I'm talking about the kind of medication that exists in the real world and in Cataclysm. I'm not sure what you think decongestants or cough-suppressants have to do with "pain relief", either.

The thing is, those medications seem to only be counted as one drug (called "antihistamines" for some reason, in certain places).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: October 27, 2011, 04:16:47 pm »

Decongestants and cough suppressants deal with two causes of suffering, just like an anti-inflammatory would. Also, anything specifically named a 'flu medicaion', like Tamiflu, will actively fight flu infection with an antiviral (usually some kind of virus-debilitating enzyme) instead of just covering up symptoms.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: October 27, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »

Decongestants and cough suppressants deal with two causes of suffering, just like an anti-inflammatory would.

By this logical, literally anything that ameliorates a symptom of anything is "pain relief". That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Also, anything specifically named a 'flu medicaion', like Tamiflu, will actively fight flu infection with an antiviral (usually some kind of virus-debilitating enzyme) instead of just covering up symptoms.

This isn't quite true. The most common over-the-counter stuff sold as flu medication do not contain antivirals. Also, I specifically mentioned we're talking about the type in the game, namely DayQuil and NyQuil (I think).

For reference, NyQuil Cold & Flu contains acetaminophen (NSAID), dextromethorphan (cough suppressant of questionable-to-moderate value), and doxylamine succinate (antihistamine, useful for sleeping though I'm unclear how much it helps symptoms caused by cold/flu). DayQuil Cold & Flu lacks the anthistamine but also has phenylephrine (a decongestant).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:52:42 pm by G-Flex »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: October 27, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »

Oh.

I'm talking about antivirals, then, like TamiFlu. You keep talking about symptom relief, and I'll just hang my head in shame over here.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: October 27, 2011, 04:40:24 pm »

And this is why I need to introduce some form of amphetamine psychosis ;)  Delusional parasitosis, hallucinations of monsters appearing for just a single turn, and extreme paranoia and distrust of NPCs if I can manage that somehow

Well, for the whole distrust of NPCs thing, you can have the state "paranoia". Randomly, NPCs that are friendly will appear as hostile when you look at them, but you won't get a message announcing a hostile NPC unless you have progressed to, say "extreme paranoia". Which would also be good for when you smoke way to much weed (which is also why I really need to learn how to mod cataclysm, first thing I'd make would be a battery powered vaporizer).

As an anecdotal point of reference, a while back after I'd some ☼Cannabis brownies☼ I had to stop a phone conversation because I realized that my enemies could hear me. Took me about five minutes to remember that I didn't have any enemies, except for this one guy with a duck jumper and there was no way that he could have climbed four floors to listen in.

or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: October 27, 2011, 05:26:42 pm »

Yeah, I figured that paranoia would manifest itself as randomly perceiving NPCs as hostile... or, to be a little more subtle, give you occasional messages like "Ryan Walker snatches something from your inventory."  Of course, I'd have to introduce pickpocketing so that it's not obvious that this is a red herring.  All this is down the line a ways, of course.

A little update just to get a couple things out there.

Build it clean, delete your saves.

Features:
  • Savable character templates.  Once you have your character designed, hit S on the last tab to save it as a template.  The next time you create a new character, you can load up the template.  I've packaged a few templates along with the game.  If you don't like them, you can delete them (and any templates you make) from the data directory.
  • The randomized templates (student, police officer, doctor, etc) have been removed completely.
  • FunctionZero's Technology Tomorrow mod, featuring a few new high-tech guns.

Tweaks:
  • This is practically a bug fix, but critical chances in melee have been fixed and reworked.
  • Tea and coffee don't require any skill to make (but they will practice cooking skill).
  • Royal Jelly cures bad poisoning (e.g. from black widows)
  • XP generation at 0 morale decreased from 20% to 8%.

Bug Fixes:
  • If an NPC uses a teleporter, they will teleport, not you.
  • Pulling boards from a window gives you 8 nails, not 12.
  • That infamous firey inferno bug, which compiled okay on linux but not on Windows, is officially fixed.  :-[
  • Dodge is only practiced if your skill is below the monster's attack skill, not above.

Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 777