Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1296012 times)

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7305 on: October 25, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »

So currently if I start a new game and light a dresser on fire, a nuclear inferno that I can barely outrun destroys the entire map.  Seems bad.  It went on for about 4 screens before I hit a gas station and exploded when all 4 pumps went up simultaneously.  It goes in short and then long bursts, and doesn't seem to end :(

Also, it is definitely related to items.  There is a tipping point where fire seems to be generated infinitely.  Lighting the grass on fire does next to nothing, a pair of pants spreads to about 8 other squares, and  articles of clothing generates some kind of feedback loop that destroys the map.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:27:45 pm by Gotthard »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: October 25, 2011, 09:27:19 pm »

So currently if I start a new game and light a dresser on fire, a nuclear inferno that I can barely outrun destroys the entire map.  Seems bad.  It went on for about 4 screens before I hit a gas station and exploded when all 4 pumps went up simultaneously.  It goes in short and then long bursts, and doesn't seem to end :(

Hmm, this is extremely different from my experiences with the new fire system.  Once bug that's brought to mind (and has now been fixed) is that batteries were considered as combustible as gasoline; otherwise, fire should crawl along walls fairly slowly.

There was a release that made fire spread very very quickly but it was patched about 10 minutes later.  Maybe you somehow downloaded during that short window when things were broken?
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: October 25, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

I'll take a look, now that I see there were 3 versions around when I got home, maybe I messed it up.  But it was item related... and oh GOD it is hilarious and bad at the same time.

[EDIT]

Running windows 7, compiled it on my home machine.  Never had a problem until now.  Just checked the merge, no conflicts in field.cpp or any of the item files.

Version I downloaded:

Whales-Cataclysm-a9c5f38

Did I miss something?  Again, it's multiple items burning that seems to lead to this feedback loop.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:33:28 pm by Gotthard »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: October 25, 2011, 09:43:10 pm »

Also, it is definitely related to items.  There is a tipping point where fire seems to be generated infinitely.  Lighting the grass on fire does next to nothing, a pair of pants spreads to about 8 other squares, and  articles of clothing generates some kind of feedback loop that destroys the map.

I would kill for this type of fire to be available in DF. In fact, after reading that I sort of wish there was a roguelike that dealt specifically with playing with fire.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: October 25, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »

I would kill for this type of fire to be available in DF. In fact, after reading that I sort of wish there was a roguelike that dealt specifically with playing with fire.
Cataclysm, the zombie survival roguelike: An arson and hallucinogenic simulator.

Dwarf Fortress, the fantasy RTS roguelike: A sociopathic mutilation simulator.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: October 25, 2011, 10:07:59 pm »

*slaps Necro* How dare you not include alcoholism in EITHER OF THOSE?!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: October 25, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »

*slaps Necro* How dare you not include alcoholism in EITHER OF THOSE?!
Guess where the arson and mutilation stems from  ;D

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: October 25, 2011, 10:21:07 pm »

Cataclysm, the zombie survival roguelike: An arson and hallucinogenic simulator.

It's the end of the world, but don't worry about saving humanity and all that jazz. You're duty is to set fire to as much stuff as possible and indulge the secret desire that has haunted you for so long. Make the world burn and the zombies with it.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: October 25, 2011, 11:02:22 pm »

Sweet i made an archer char with 12 str 12 dex and now i have 5 archery skill im headshotting zombies with long bow, i'm sad tho we can craft wooden bolts but no wooden arrows i don'T get it will it be implemented?

I'm rping a hippy with lots of heroine (found in a house) and shirtless, runnign around with a bow

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: October 25, 2011, 11:26:33 pm »

No, volume is more appropriate here.  Weight doesn't really reflect an items density, and the amount of combustible material is more closely aligned with volume than weight.

I'm not sure what you mean. Amount of material is weight. Well, mass, not weight, but those are identical for our intents and purposes. Neither weight nor volume reflect an item's density, both because 1) density is a property of both those things combined, and 2) more importantly, "volume" in Cataclysm is the "bulkiness" of an object, it seems, not just its actual displacement volume. In other words, a solid bar of iron has less volume than, say, a really long pole made out of it, or a bundle of chain-link fence.

I just don't possibly understand why the amount of combustible material should be described by volume, because that's not how physics or chemistry actually work. The amount of time something combusts, and the total heat (as well as heat per unit time) given off is related to how much material there is combusting in mass. Total amount of combustion heat correlates positively with mass/weight, and how quickly it combusts correlates positively with volume (or, often more relevantly, surface area, but we don't have a notion of that in the game). If you have two items in the game of the same mass, the higher-volume one should burn more quickly (because it's less dense) but provide the same amount of overall heat. If you have two items of equivalent volume but different mass, one is more dense and therefore should burn with a greater total heat but possibly more slowly.

It's basic physics and chemistry, really. The volume of something has nothing to do with "how much" there is; mass is the appropriate measure of that. A larger item of less-dense wood will produce the same amount of heat as a smaller item of some denser wood, if they have the same mass (and the constituent compounds have similar heats of combustion, which is safe to assume). A foot-cubed log of oak will produce a whole lot more heat than a foot-cubed log of balsa, and the latter will likely burn more quickly.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:30:11 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: October 25, 2011, 11:33:34 pm »

http://doryen.eptalys.net/games/pyromancer/

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: October 25, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »

Umm, I'm still being limited to 3 disadvantages despite not reaching the 12 point limit.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: October 26, 2011, 12:18:21 am »

DOes anybody else get teleportation issues with basements from time to time?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: October 26, 2011, 12:26:06 am »

No, volume is more appropriate here.  Weight doesn't really reflect an items density, and the amount of combustible material is more closely aligned with volume than weight.

I'm not sure what you mean. Amount of material is weight. Well, mass, not weight, but those... etc etc

Except in Cataclysm, the amount of combustible matieral is more closely tied to volume than to weight.  Density isn't really tracked.

Umm, I'm still being limited to 3 disadvantages despite not reaching the 12 point limit.

That's weird--all references to such a limit have been stripped out, and I just built a character with 5 advantages and 5 disadvantages... try pulling again?

DOes anybody else get teleportation issues with basements from time to time?

Me ;)  I'd hoped that it was totally fixed, but... it's just mostly fixed.  Hehe.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: October 26, 2011, 01:16:40 am »

Erm, help? How do I survive day 1? I get surrounded by the horde in no time, with fasties and boomies tailing me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 777