Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1296173 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7215 on: October 23, 2011, 12:57:23 am »

BTW: What are insect stings good for?

Wasp stings used to be arguably the best weapon in the game, then they got nerfed... I'm not really sure how good they are post-nerf (haven't gotten a hold of one since).

Anyway, no-one knows how to reload a (crafted) flamethrower? I've tried filling it straight from the pump (it tells me simple flamethrower won't hold gasoline), putting gas in all sorts of containers (glass bottle, plastic bottle, plastic bag, tin can...) in which case it just says out of ammo when I try and reload, pouring it right on the ground... nothing. It says it uses (12 rounds of) gasoline in the description, I just can't figure out how to make the gasoline go inside of it. Maybe it's just bugged?

Edit: I notice the chainsaw (which I don't have to test if it works) says 1000 charges of gasoline. Maybe the problem is the flamethrower wants some sort of bullets made out of gasoline or something?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:03:50 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: October 23, 2011, 01:08:51 am »

Dang flamethrowers broken again.  Chainsaws do work and can be reloaded from the pump.  Flamethrowers should be able to be reloaded from a pump in the next release, from a bottle of gasoline if I have the time.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: October 23, 2011, 01:11:50 am »

BTW: What are insect stings good for?

Stabbin'

No promises, but a near-future release might see the long-awaited return of NPCs, a new starting situation, and some basic missions.
I still have nightmares about the NPC error screens.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: October 23, 2011, 02:25:14 am »

Hmmm I found a base use a ID card and found some more lock door can I shut the first door? I have a nice base of operation if I can figure out how also does eating Zombies or Human do anything bad? :-\ Fun game btw
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: October 23, 2011, 02:30:38 am »

Humans(Chunk of Meat) only give morale penalty. Zombies(chunk of Tainted meat) give moral penalty and poisoning. Note this is separate from food poison form eating rotten foods.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: October 23, 2011, 09:16:32 am »

I got a suggestion, actually a handfull:

Death, A lategame NPC that appears rarely when suffering from mortal wounds, diseases etc. If you choose to play old man he would appear periodically. He may either, simply approach and kill you, ask you a hard riddle or converse with you, giving a morale boost and possibly even healing you(the latter only possible if you have witnessed a loved one die.

Regions, basically themes of map generation, like huge nuke craters or deserts.

Cats of Ulthor: Giant Cats from the dreamworld moon that will save you if your one they like, taking care of cats will keep em happy.

Godzilla Boss, would appear in ruined urban centers.

Satanic Rituals

Animators, rogue alien wizzies that just love to animate random things, getting mauled by a pack of wild flying zombie teapots would be grieftastic.

A variation of death NPC, G-Man, would offer either a "save the world" mission or having you mauled by Xen aliens.

Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: October 23, 2011, 09:55:44 am »

possibly bunker/lab spoiler, possible bug with the new military supply bunkers..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: I'm sure you already know about it by now (and have probably fixed it, at the rate you're going) but just in case - cooking meat is using a whole stack (even if you're cooking it off the ground) just like baking bread and probably other crafting recipes.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:53:03 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: October 23, 2011, 10:11:17 am »

They are pretty much like that atm. Wont always be like that.

I think the problem with bionics caches is that as they are now they SHOULD be scarce, but the failure rate in installation is high enough to make small ammounts of them not that good  (as even smart, first aid savvy characters high on drugs will end up borking the installation and breaking all other bionics quite often). You need quite a few tries to get a decent set. This will be tricky to balance, I think.

(Suggestion: how about requiring special instruments or rooms to install bionics, or at least improve failure rate? Eg surgery rooms and such. Of varying qualities: a lab's surgery room might give a bigger bonus than the one you get at a small ambulatory surgery room in an ER...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: October 23, 2011, 10:41:38 am »

I think bionic scarcity should vary really. The current scarcity makes them appear rare and extremely expensive; but at the same time, something so valuable would focused more on powerful abilities instead of mundane utilities like flashlights and nutrition (Unless they were also dealing with a severe food shortage.). There doesn't seem to be any evidence that bionics weren't commonplace.

So yeah, basic bionics should be found in some bionic clinics and such, while the more powerful ones are found in military installations and science labs. Train your installation skills with the cheap ones before moving on to the stronger ones.

It also means that NPCs may appear with a few bionics installed in them. (Which may or may not be ripped from their mutilated bodies and recycled)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:44:56 am by Blaze »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: October 23, 2011, 11:40:07 am »

As it is now there is no installation skill proper, just int and first aid (afaik).

Speaking of which, maybe it'd make sense to have a science skill which would combine with first aid for bionics (and maybe some other stuff?) and with cooking for the advanced chemistry stuff?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:41 am »

Yay Amigara Monsters Yay!

Killed myself by spawning that dreaded monstrosity.  Fortunately, I was just experimenting how stuff worked, so no big losses for me.. yet.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: October 23, 2011, 12:17:15 pm »

Death, A lategame NPC that appears rarely when suffering from mortal wounds, diseases etc. If you choose to play old man he would appear periodically. He may either, simply approach and kill you, ask you a hard riddle or converse with you, giving a morale boost and possibly even healing you(the latter only possible if you have witnessed a loved one die.

Cats of Ulthor: Giant Cats from the dreamworld moon that will save you if your one they like, taking care of cats will keep em happy.

Satanic Rituals

Animators, rogue alien wizzies that just love to animate random things, getting mauled by a pack of wild flying zombie teapots would be grieftastic.

A variation of death NPC, G-Man, would offer either a "save the world" mission or having you mauled by Xen aliens.

Dude, where do you get such weed?
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: October 23, 2011, 12:19:11 pm »

Satanic Rituals

^What he said.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: October 23, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »

It's not weed, he just couldn't find any thorazine in the pharmacy.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: October 23, 2011, 01:20:20 pm »

As it is now there is no installation skill proper, just int and first aid (afaik).

Speaking of which, maybe it'd make sense to have a science skill which would combine with first aid for bionics (and maybe some other stuff?) and with cooking for the advanced chemistry stuff?

To quote the screen that pops up when you activate a CBM:
"Installation requires high intelligence, and skill in electronics, first aid, and mechanics (in that order of importance)."
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 777