Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1296482 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7035 on: October 17, 2011, 05:04:58 pm »

To me is not as much about storage as it's about finding a place to sleep in. Few things beat a basement. And other, less safe alternatives, like a bathroom, can end up being death traps far more easily. (EG: one time I had to sleep in a room like that, only to have several hulks breach through the walls and pummel me).

Underground shelters can still be wrecked (in the previously mentioned game, I had to sleep in that bathroom because my basement had been wrecked by a triffid queen), but in principle it's more rare. Plus you can escape more easily when it happens.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »

Y'know, I've been wondering since I started playing.  When you sleep, does sleeping on an actual bed matter?  What about encumbrance and so forth?  Seems to be, sleeping on a bed without a kevlar vest and gasmask would be a lot easier than sleeping fully dressed on a basement floor.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: October 17, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »

The bed does matter, I think. Insofar it's easier to go to sleep on a bed than on the floor. IDK about encumbrance.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: October 17, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »

The bed definitely provides an advantage.

I've found the safest place to sleep to be a lab bedroom with all the doors closed. The problem there is getting out after you've woken up :P.
Nothing important here, move along.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: October 17, 2011, 05:57:28 pm »

You'll fall asleep faster if you're on a bed--mostly this is useful for insomniacs.

Encumbrance doesn't matter.  My first instinct was to make characters undress for bed, but I decided it was more annoyance than it was worth.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: October 17, 2011, 05:58:59 pm »

BTW: are zombie necromancers supposed to be able to raise non-zombies from the dead?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: October 17, 2011, 06:39:18 pm »

Got a bug to report, Whales. Broken windows that have been cleaned can't be boarded up. Turned my window from a board-up fix-up to needing three manually constructed walls to block out.  :-\

This is fixed in the next release; boarding up windows is now a construction, and can be done (with 0 skill) with a hammer or a nailgun.  Hammers (and crowbars) will be used to removed boarding from windows and doors, so you don't have to smash it down.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: October 17, 2011, 06:46:54 pm »

Is there any use for bank vaults ATM?

(sidenote: it would be nice to be able to use consoles to CLOSE doors, as well as open them. That way vaults could make nice item stacks. Except for lightning, that is)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: October 17, 2011, 06:55:54 pm »

Schweet.

Also, how do you mix ammonia and bleach, and does the supposed resulting toxic gas do anything?
It's a crafting recipe, for teargas I think.
*Hugs*

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: October 17, 2011, 07:12:47 pm »

I would personally like to know why a house being solidly grounded would prevent it being struck by lightning.

Lightning rod principal. Ben Franklin discovered that a sharp iron rod distributed electricity into the air at such a rate that it was impossible to generate a spark on a small scale. He applied that principle to houses, putting a sharp rod on top and grounding it, theorizing that lightning was nothing more then a giant static shock. It worked. Modern houses evolved to the point where they no longer needed rods because of the copper piping running through, attached to most of the building, grounds the house and prevents a buildup that would allow a strike.

Edit: Oh. Fun fact. Churches back then were often struck by lightning, and they also refused to put up lightning rods, saying lightning was gods wrath. So once rods picked up steam, the town brothel would never be struck, while the church was the only building still getting hit.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: October 17, 2011, 07:16:48 pm »

Regarding the nomadic lifestyle: I usually follow one of two paths, light melee runner and loaded-for-bear gunslinger.

I've never survived long enough to worry about storage.

Or perhaps I have, and the reason I didn't get any farther is because I didn't use storage. :P

Two backpacks + packmule + plenty of ammunition and guns will usually get you to the point where the only way to die is to go into labs. Alternately, just get a utility vest + skirt + melee weapon and learn to travel light, scavenging as you need it. The only drawback to this is that you either eat raw meat or regularly go into towns.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: October 17, 2011, 07:35:35 pm »

Lightning rod principal. Ben Franklin discovered that a sharp iron rod distributed electricity into the air at such a rate that it was impossible to generate a spark on a small scale. He applied that principle to houses, putting a sharp rod on top and grounding it, theorizing that lightning was nothing more then a giant static shock. It worked. Modern houses evolved to the point where they no longer needed rods because of the copper piping running through, attached to most of the building, grounds the house and prevents a buildup that would allow a strike.

It was my understanding that the reason grounding a building works is simply because when lightning does strike, it runs harmlessly through the highly conductive material (e.g. the lightning rod) and so doesn't cause problems. I haven't ever heard of them being used to prevent strikes in the first place. I'm trying to do research on this, and can find plenty of information about lightning rods diverting current from lightning, but absolutely nothing about what you're saying. Do you have any links, or... anything?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:37:06 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: October 17, 2011, 07:45:23 pm »

It was my understanding that the reason grounding a building works is simply because when lightning does strike, it runs harmlessly through the highly conductive material (e.g. the lightning rod) and so doesn't cause problems. I haven't ever heard of them being used to prevent strikes in the first place. I'm trying to do research on this, and can find plenty of information about lightning rods diverting current from lightning, but absolutely nothing about what you're saying. Do you have any links, or... anything?
I had read about that in one of Assimov's essays, but it was more about the effect of the lightning rod on the general populace with regards to religion and the acceptance of science rather then the actual science of the rod. I'll try to see if I can't find it, though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: October 17, 2011, 08:24:42 pm »

I'm on day five-to-six. Badly battered up after I kept running into zombie packs while running from other zombie packs, every one bigger than the previous one.

I think I had gotten complacent because I had killed many zombies in the area of the city where I was, and was tending to find them in manageable ammounts. And the worst I had met were zombie brutes (which I killed with my silenced .45 while they were on frames.

The only reason I survived was that a zombie spitter managed to damage normal zombies enough for them to stop chasing me, and that the hulk was slower than usual due to some bullets I had put in him. That left two fast zombies which chased me into my secondary hideout, but FZ's are fragile, and I was able to kill them with my hatchet, even in my battered up state.

It's going to take me a day of rest at the very least, before the pain thresholds and HP go to manageable levels. I'll train up with books in the meanwhile, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:26:21 pm by ChairmanPoo »

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: October 17, 2011, 10:20:08 pm »

I found a Portal Generator

It's as likely to bring you to a mini-safe haven dimension, free from zombies, triffids, and those bastard wolves as it is to, well, ever see the movie, The Mist?

Time for SCIENCE!
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 777