Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1296467 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #7020 on: October 17, 2011, 10:00:21 am »

I'm kind of curious as to why there are lightning strikes at all. Pretty much every home out there has been either made or retrofitted to be completely grounded to prevent any electrical buildup. Now, the player could still be struck, especially if he's running around during a storm swinging a metal weapon, but houses shouldn't be hit. Far more accurate would be to have tree limbs fall and crush them, possibly on fire.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: October 17, 2011, 10:31:49 am »

I would personally like to know why a house being solidly grounded would prevent it being struck by lightning.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: October 17, 2011, 10:32:54 am »

I'm kind of curious as to why there are lightning strikes at all. Pretty much every home out there has been either made or retrofitted to be completely grounded to prevent any electrical buildup. Now, the player could still be struck, especially if he's running around during a storm swinging a metal weapon, but houses shouldn't be hit. Far more accurate would be to have tree limbs fall and crush them, possibly on fire.
This is hollywood lightning, not real lightning.
*Hugs*

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: October 17, 2011, 10:38:17 am »

I've personally never seen any of the pre-apocalypse structures burn down just from lightning. I always assumed that the houses being burnt down were the constructed wooden hideouts that have no proper grounding.
Nothing important here, move along.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: October 17, 2011, 10:55:40 am »

I've personally never seen any of the pre-apocalypse structures burn down just from lightning. I always assumed that the houses being burnt down were the constructed wooden hideouts that have no proper grounding.

In the game, I've seen a bank vault get torn open by a lightning vault. Just saying!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:55 am »

Is everyone sure that zombies are not, in fact, faster?

I used to get five rounds or so when they were stuck in windows, but now after two or three hits they manage to start punching.

Zombies are not faster, but the movement cost of windows was decreased several versions ago (before construction was added, even).  That might be what you're experiencing.

I think the speed increase is due to the pain cap. Since it's capped at a 15%? decrease in speed, they'll be noticably faster after you shoot them a few times. Their base speed hasn't changed, but they don't get slowed down as much anymore.

Zombies have never been affected by pain.

For the record: high-health-to-instadeath from turrets is still around. At the very least at close ranges.

This is probably as it should be.  Standing very close to turrets is a bad idea.

This is hollywood lightning, not real lightning.

Thank you ;D
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: October 17, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

So, is there no active way to download the game? Checked github, checked a few other places and the past ~5 pages of the thread. Did I miss something?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: October 17, 2011, 02:08:14 pm »

www.github.com/aposos/cataclysm
Click the download button.
For Linux you grab the source from
www.github.com/whales/cataclysm and compile it yourself

Direct link to windows download
*Hugs*

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: October 17, 2011, 02:35:00 pm »

Why is that question asked every other page or something? The download button isn't that hard to find.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: October 17, 2011, 02:47:05 pm »

Lightning actualy crushes trees into heavy sticks, not sure about fire though.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: October 17, 2011, 04:02:51 pm »

Umm ok, I think Zombie Hulks are bugged. While I don't think it's intentional, A hulk can be displaced into impassable terrain (Walls, windows, etc) when stunned but they don't destroy the terrain.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: October 17, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »

Lightning actualy crushes trees into heavy sticks, not sure about fire though.

I've had multiple safehouses lit on fire by lightning, to the point where I sleep at least half a map block away from any of my item storage buildings to protect them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: October 17, 2011, 04:46:53 pm »

I store important items in basements. At least you know there they won't be blown away.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: October 17, 2011, 04:55:49 pm »

I've never survived long enough to worry about storage.

Or perhaps I have, and the reason I didn't get any farther is because I didn't use storage. :P
Nothing important here, move along.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: October 17, 2011, 04:59:15 pm »

Probably not. At least for me, a nomadic style is even easier, since you don't have to focus on defending anything. You loot and move on.
Altogether I had about 100 volume units of storage, so I could pack quite some stuff without needing to leave anything behind.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 777