Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1297103 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6855 on: October 13, 2011, 10:50:05 am »

There actually seems to be a bug with beartraps. If you are wielding them when you use them they deploy fine, but the main screen says you are still holding them, while your inventory is blank under 'weapons'. You cannot then use it again, but if you change your weapon, the new beartrap appears in your inventory. Repeat for infinite SNAP. (And I still think they're overpowered anyway.)

I haven't tried it yet for similar items.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: October 13, 2011, 12:27:52 pm »

One note about labs: they seem to have plenty of CBMs, but curiously, no internal batteries. This makes it more worthwhile to favor passive augs like toolset and recycler over activated thingies. Is it intentional?

(Yes, I know that with enough electronics you can craft your own internal batteries, but it's kind of tedious and you need to be a leet electronicist)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: October 13, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »

Whales has/is fixed/fixing that.
*Hugs*

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
  • I disbelieve and jump!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: October 13, 2011, 12:45:08 pm »

Say, where is a good location to find ID cards? I've yet to find a pile of dead scientists for a long while now.
Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
xander_morhaime: Briefly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: October 13, 2011, 01:19:58 pm »

Pretty much only dead scientists have them, I think. Just wander around till you find some.

On nuclear silos: is there any point right now in launching icbms against places? Or is it something that will become useful when factions are implemented?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: October 13, 2011, 01:36:50 pm »

Is the teleporter controlled or random? If its random Ill just use its 20 Plutonium cells for my shiny new FTK-93 Fusion Gun (+Silencer) :D

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: October 13, 2011, 01:37:02 pm »

I love this game, i love the way i am the only human left, i dont like the dog being there though, i am soft around those things so i just use the teleport bug and pretend it magically teleported to somewhere better or something. I love running around looting stuff and when i am bored i just blow up a gas station or something, maybe burn a whole appartment block to ashes, it depends on my mood. Only one thing i do not understand: XP system, how does it work? How do i raise my skills?

Also, is the world truly infinite? How can i even kill all the zombies then?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: October 13, 2011, 01:39:32 pm »

By working hard at it!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: October 13, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »

Nah, it's not truly infinite. I think Whales said once it's about 16 times the size of Earth. Which is still a fuckton, though.

Ah, right. We're having a Wiki project going on. Anyone willing to participate, check out this thread: Wiki
And of course, we now have a sub-board for all wiki-related threads. Some wiki-editing experience is preferred, but we'll also gladly accept anyone willing to do tons of grunt work, heh.

And as a reminder, the wiki is at: http://whalesdev.com/wiki/index.php
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:21:34 pm by FunctionZero »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: October 13, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

There actually seems to be a bug with beartraps. If you are wielding them when you use them they deploy fine, but the main screen says you are still holding them, while your inventory is blank under 'weapons'. You cannot then use it again, but if you change your weapon, the new beartrap appears in your inventory. Repeat for infinite SNAP. (And I still think they're overpowered anyway.)

I haven't tried it yet for similar items.

Duly noted; should be fixed now.

One note about labs: they seem to have plenty of CBMs, but curiously, no internal batteries. This makes it more worthwhile to favor passive augs like toolset and recycler over activated thingies. Is it intentional?

(Yes, I know that with enough electronics you can craft your own internal batteries, but it's kind of tedious and you need to be a leet electronicist)

Unintentional and now fixed.  Actually, the bionics rooms in labs are going to be changed to contain one or two modules, most likely batteries.  The majority of them will be moved to a finale room.

Pretty much only dead scientists have them, I think. Just wander around till you find some.

On nuclear silos: is there any point right now in launching icbms against places? Or is it something that will become useful when factions are implemented?

Pretty much pointless now, in the future they'll be mission objectives or just a convenient way to severely damage a given faction.  Or a guaranteed and safe way to take out that NPC that's out for your blood, if you know where they happen to be.

Is the teleporter controlled or random? If its random Ill just use its 20 Plutonium cells for my shiny new FTK-93 Fusion Gun (+Silencer) :D

Random, but still, it's the only item in the game that can save you when you're surrounded and can't directly fight your way out.  There's something to be said for that.

Incidentally, the FTK-93 is already essentially silent.  The only way its sound would work against you is if there's a wall directly between you and a zombie two tiles away, and the zombie doesn't know you're there.

I love this game, i love the way i am the only human left, i dont like the dog being there though, i am soft around those things so i just use the teleport bug and pretend it magically teleported to somewhere better or something. I love running around looting stuff and when i am bored i just blow up a gas station or something, maybe burn a whole appartment block to ashes, it depends on my mood. Only one thing i do not understand: XP system, how does it work? How do i raise my skills?

Also, is the world truly infinite? How can i even kill all the zombies then?

Increase XP by sustaining a high morale (lots of ways to do this, alcohol is probably the most convenient but alcholism is nothing to be scoffed at).  Spend XP by using a skill; shoot a shotgun to raise guns and shotgun skills, cook a meal to raise cooking, hit a zombie with a hammer to raise melee and bashing.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: October 13, 2011, 02:17:02 pm »

I thought holsters were like fanny packs in that they don't use up a slot.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: October 13, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »

I think it should be noted that while its hinted at in the description for Forgetful, skills do degrade over time and will drop in level.

However I have a question: Is there a lower limit for skill degradation?

While I agree that if you don't use Computers, you shouldn't be able to keep your skill at 8 just cause you read a book. You need to keep your skills sharp. However if you've reached skill 8, I don't think you should be able to forget everything and go to skill 0 (just for the sake of the example) after X turns of not using computers. Even more so for skills like sewing. Those skills require a lot of muscle memory training that Intelligence(Skill Retention) should have no bearing on. If there is currently no lower limit, might I suggest the formula 1 +Highest_Skill_Level_Reached/4. So reaching Skill 1 lets you keep it there. Reaching 4 bumps the minimum to 2 and 8 to 3.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: October 13, 2011, 02:55:44 pm »

I think it should be noted that while its hinted at in the description for Forgetful, skills do degrade over time and will drop in level.

However I have a question: Is there a lower limit for skill degradation?

-snip-

To be perfectly honest, I've had a total of one occasion where a skill decreased, across every character I've made, and that was dodge on my most successful gunslinger. It really doesn't seem like that large of a problem, unless you're just huddling in a missile silo doing nothing but eating, sleeping and drinking.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

S.K. Ren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: October 13, 2011, 03:05:09 pm »

I suppose. Also, has anyone else found a Giant Worm/Graboid infested area? If you do try this, Practice guns in a house then walk outside. You should find about 20 dead worms that just rammed into the walls. Free food and butchering training :D

EDIT: The Worms will attack other mobs! Worm infested Areas are the safest place to practice guns. JUst make sure you're in a proper building so the worms cant get to you too.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:09:55 pm by S.K. Ren »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: October 13, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »

Yeah, skill degradation isn't a big issue.  Using a skill once will remove almost all (if not all) the degradation; the system's mostly in place for those who study mechanics, then never use it, or those who start off as a pistol slinger, then switch to rifles and never touch a handgun again.  I wouldn't worry much about it.  I think it bottoms out at level 1, might be 0 though.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 777