Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1297198 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6720 on: October 09, 2011, 04:50:06 pm »

Ah, good old swarms of bullet-immune Hunting Horrors on Day 1.  I knew there was something this new version was missing.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: October 09, 2011, 05:58:07 pm »

Confirmed: enemies that shouldn't spawn out of thin air do:

I enter a lab, enter a corridor. Empty. I close the door, go downstairs, then back there, and voila, a machinegun turret was waiting for me in the middle of the way.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: October 09, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »

I think turrets are actually supposed to do that.  They pop out of the ceiling or something.  It's all the other stuff that gets a little irritating.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: October 09, 2011, 06:03:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was a random spawn.

Besides, if that was so, it should have popped out the first time, not the second...

I've seen it happen with other stuff as well. In my previous game, a zombie pack with fast zombies, hulks, and shockers, spawned on top of me while walking through the wilderness.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: October 09, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »

Well I'm happy, because I finally stopped getting random spawns of scores of bees/wasps.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: October 09, 2011, 08:45:32 pm »

There is a Windows version up here--many thanks to Aposos!

Sorry about the spawning issues.  I've been doing a lot of playtesting recently and haven't noticed anything strange.  If any code-minded people have insights about this, I'd love to hear it!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:53:18 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: October 09, 2011, 10:28:30 pm »

Pd: in a new game: I started the game inside a wasped house.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6727 on: October 09, 2011, 10:54:46 pm »

I Was very sad that applying a lighter to a paper wall in a wasped house didn't cause a raging inferno of wasp death.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: October 10, 2011, 12:20:15 am »

I recall trying that with a flamethrower with some measure of success. I think it's just that lighters suck in general.

How does one make his custom preset characters again? I'm tired of reassigning the points by hand...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6729 on: October 10, 2011, 07:40:25 am »

I'll try again with a molotov at some point but one would expect that something described as a paper wall would go up in flames easily.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: October 10, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »

I'm noticing an interesting pattern with the spawning mechanics that wasn't there in older versions.
It seams to me that periods of furious action are alternating with periods of quiet, suspensive, lonely-survivor, empty streets parts. I like it very much, being every second followed by pack of zombies is full of adrenaline but after a while its just annoying and it looses its scare factor. The period of calm postapocalyptic scavenging let you settle down a little and makes the unavoidable upcoming frenetic part much more tense.
Not sure if it was intended, but its great.  :)

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6731 on: October 10, 2011, 01:35:27 pm »

I'm noticing an interesting pattern with the spawning mechanics that wasn't there in older versions.
It seams to me that periods of furious action are alternating with periods of quiet, suspensive, lonely-survivor, empty streets parts. I like it very much, being every second followed by pack of zombies is full of adrenaline but after a while its just annoying and it looses its scare factor. The period of calm postapocalyptic scavenging let you settle down a little and makes the unavoidable upcoming frenetic part much more tense.

Yeah, for the first time I though the game glitched and zombies didn't spawn at all so I just began wandering around like an idiot, of course I got mauled by an angry mob shortly after but it was worth it.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: October 10, 2011, 01:39:53 pm »

What I enjoy with this game is how you think it's all going so well and then no, no it's really not. (Like lightning burning down your hideout; can I smell smoke?)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: October 10, 2011, 02:53:28 pm »

Definitely intended.  It's a mechanic I'm still playing with, trying to get just right, but I like alternating the pace like that; forcing a period of intense fighting or running away, followed by a "reward" period where you can relax a little and collect items or whatever.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: October 10, 2011, 03:26:56 pm »

Some monster ran off with my katana :(

It was awesome while it lasted.
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 777