Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294189 times)

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6120 on: September 13, 2011, 06:53:23 am »

I don't play on windows, but if I remember correctly you have to set in putty's settings "nethack keybindings" or something like that

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: September 13, 2011, 02:06:47 pm »

PuTTY has a weird "feature" where you need to press ctrl-numlock for it to recognize the keypad, I think.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: September 13, 2011, 03:06:41 pm »

I don't play on windows, but if I remember correctly you have to set in putty's settings "nethack keybindings" or something like that
Yup.avi

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: September 13, 2011, 07:53:26 pm »

Yeah, you actually have to press ctrl for putty recognizing that numpad is on, that's on windows since i haven't tried it anywhere else, so you have to have num lock on and THEN press ctrl + numlock when using putty, best wishes to online play, i'm waiting for the new update that's going to blow our minds off, until then i'm bearing with school, whenever it comes out will it be slacking time! :P

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »

My dream safehouse? Building walls across a bridge. This is probably the third time I've said this. And yet it can't be said enough, but for my excitement.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: September 13, 2011, 10:00:55 pm »

Okay guys, don't get your hopes too high.  It's not that big of an update, it only introduces two new major features, item stacking and construction, and one medium feature, the ability to craft/construct using items from the floor nearby, rather than needing them in your inventory.  The reason it's taking so long is that I'm busy with other things in my life lately, and that both things have required a lot of rewriting of existing code, and a lot of careful consideration and planning.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:09 pm »

Okay guys, don't get your hopes too high.  It's not that big of an update, it only introduces two new major features, item stacking and construction, and one medium feature, the ability to craft/construct using items from the floor nearby, rather than needing them in your inventory.  The reason it's taking so long is that I'm busy with other things in my life lately, and that both things have required a lot of rewriting of existing code, and a lot of careful consideration and planning.
I know that. Constructing walls is what our fanaticism is all about.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: September 14, 2011, 01:26:06 am »

Pfft, this is the Bay 12 Games forum. We learned a long time ago that if people complain about not getting constant updates, you can just hit them with a stick or lock them up in a cage for a while.

Is the "smashable" distinction ever going to go away in favor of an "anything can be broken if you happen to be strong enough" type approach? I'm just curious, because it would make sense for, say, a 15-strength character with hydraulic arms and a sledgehammer to break down household walls, and things like that.

I'm still damn confused about the fires randomly appearing in my house. They seem to occur for less than the length of a player turn, because they're capable of setting things on fire (as I mentioned), and give me the "you're standing in a fire" message, but I never actually see one, even if I examine my square immediately upon seeing the message. I have a save backup, for the record.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:52:11 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: September 14, 2011, 02:54:12 am »

The fire thing is, again, probably caused by a mod you're using (Windows ports are mods).  I just did a quick grep, and here's the complete list of things that can cause fire (spoiler for stuff that's hard to find):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's it.  As previously stated, the code for fire spreading is pretty simple and a tile of fire never has access to non-adjacent tiles.  It's also never been observed by anyone else, so if it's a bug in fire spreading, it's pretty obscure and hard to spot.

I'd ask for your save, but my version of the game would already render that obsolete, and I'm too lazy to get an older version.  Besides, honestly, all I could say is "huh.  yup."  Sharing your save file with me does a lot more good with freezes or crashes.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:57:35 am by Whales »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: September 14, 2011, 03:27:03 am »

I didn't know that aposos' Windows port had any real game logic changes; he specifically states that "no gameplay changes have been made".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: September 14, 2011, 03:38:12 am »

I didn't know that aposos' Windows port had any real game logic changes; he specifically states that "no gameplay changes have been made".

A lot of stuff changes when porting to a new operating system; it doesn't necessarily take intentional changes to game logic to cause odd behavior.  I also don't know if Aposos's port has changes beyond ncurses/pdcurses; most Windows ports do.  At any rate, it doesn't really matter.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: September 14, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »

I improved the old wriswatch mod I made some time ago and merged it with the other mods made by other users.
Here you find the package. (Linux/win source and windows executable)
The megamod contains:
- GlyphGryphs Better Homes and Gardens
- FunctionZeros CBM crafting
- Angle's electronic stores mod
- Paul's stacking mod
- Wristwatch mod ver.2
- Random name mod.

Here's the list of the changes of the new watch mod:
-When the player finds a watch, he must set it using a computer. Is enough 'e'xamining a computer and shutting it down immediately to synchronize all the watches in the inventory. Otherwise the watch keeps the wrong time.
-Watch are now powered by batteries (max 20 charges). With 20 charges, the watch lasts 3 days. If the batteries are drained, the watch stops working until it's reloaded.
-If a shocker zombie hits you with its power, the electric cloud unsynchronizes all the watches owned by the player.
-If a boomer spits its bile on the player, the currently worn wristwatch melts.
-It is possible to wear only one watch at a time.
-Sunset and sunrise occur on different hours every day and the player knows only if it's Day or Night (except underground, where he have no clue of the time). This way the player cannot deduce the time only seeing when the darkness falls, for example.
-Reloading a watch takes 300 moves because it is a little item and it can take some time to reload it.

More information here.

if you want to try it, tell me if it sucks or if it's at least a little fun.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: September 14, 2011, 04:59:08 pm »

I don't really think that boomer bile is corrosive. In L4D it was only to blind and act as an attractant to the infected.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: September 14, 2011, 05:01:22 pm »

I know, it's only to add some situations to lose the watch  :P
I was thinking about radiation and acid, but I must read the code first
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 777