Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1294212 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #6105 on: September 12, 2011, 04:06:30 am »

As much as I'm enjoying this game, I must say that it causes severe filesystem bloating. A single save for a single character of mine now comprises over 13,500 files, and I haven't even done that much extensive exploration, nor have I downloaded a map from a lab computer. Because of how small the files are, the size the save takes up in the filesystem is about 7.4 times the size of the actual data, and that's on NTFS! The vast majority of the files, in fact, are under 1 kB. This is a little ridiculous, no?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: September 12, 2011, 09:08:48 am »

As much as I'm enjoying this game, I must say that it causes severe filesystem bloating. A single save for a single character of mine now comprises over 13,500 files, and I haven't even done that much extensive exploration, nor have I downloaded a map from a lab computer. Because of how small the files are, the size the save takes up in the filesystem is about 7.4 times the size of the actual data, and that's on NTFS! The vast majority of the files, in fact, are under 1 kB. This is a little ridiculous, no?

Yeah, it drops a lot of files down.  One day I'll move to like an SQL database or something.  This is one reason why the world map is shared from character to character, because it can comprise very many files.

Note that downloading a map from a lab computer will have absolutely 0 impact on the number of files, or file sizes.

This is less of an issue on filesystems which aren't as shit-tacular as NTFS.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: September 12, 2011, 09:29:10 am »

I don't see why the distinction has to be between "ungodly amounts of 366-byte files" and "an SQL database" (surely there's some middle ground, or the data could be grouped into files differently?), but then again I have no idea how the data is stored or accessed to begin with.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: September 12, 2011, 01:40:48 pm »

From what I read, if you kill enough of a certain monster, it'll die out, correct?

EDIT: Also, I was looking through the item list (Debug list), and what the bloody hell is a misshappened fetus doing in the game? Where would you get one? Why can your character tolerate eating the chemicals in it?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6109 on: September 12, 2011, 02:48:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: September 12, 2011, 02:50:43 pm »

From what I read, if you kill enough of a certain monster, it'll die out, correct?

EDIT: Also, I was looking through the item list (Debug list), and what the bloody hell is a misshappened fetus doing in the game? Where would you get one? Why can your character tolerate eating the chemicals in it?
Yeah, genocide will thin them out. In a certain area, of course.

And the fetus and the mutated limbs and such can be found in Laboratories.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FAKEEDIT: Samurai'd by Angle :(

And on the topic of reducing files, how about packaging them into a no-compression archive? In the end, you'll still have tons of files, but they'll all be contained in one, sole file, which should cut down the filesystem issues.
And as long as it's with no compression, the game should be able to access it in real time, using it as a folder pretty much.

Also shouldn't be too much to code, given that you aren't changing the way it's saved, just where it's saved.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: September 12, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

Ah, OK. So don't eat fetuses. Got it.

And Adderal increases intelligence, right? I want to become a bionic commando  :P

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: September 12, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »

And Adderal increases intelligence, right? I want to become a bionic commando  :P

Temporarily, yeah. Any stimulant will do that.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: September 12, 2011, 03:03:34 pm »

Well, if you have that genetics perk, it might be a good idea to try a few mutations. After all, there's a good shot they'll be positive if you have that perk.

Yeah, any stimulant drugs increase stats (like Intelligence) and speed. (Though overuse later decreases them due to overstimulation).
So that's stuff like Caffeine Pills, Adderal, Cocaine, Methamphetamines ... and probably more I forgot.
(I think this is also in order of effectiveness, with caffeine the lowest and meth the highest.)

FAKEEDIT: I write too slow. Better stop writing then. Goddamn samurais.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: September 12, 2011, 03:59:30 pm »

Well, if you have that genetics perk, it might be a good idea to try a few mutations. After all, there's a good shot they'll be positive if you have that perk.

Yeah, any stimulant drugs increase stats (like Intelligence) and speed. (Though overuse later decreases them due to overstimulation).
So that's stuff like Caffeine Pills, Adderal, Cocaine, Methamphetamines ... and probably more I forgot.
(I think this is also in order of effectiveness, with caffeine the lowest and meth the highest.)

FAKEEDIT: I write too slow. Better stop writing then. Goddamn samurais.
Thanks. So to become smarter, I need to take meth and eat aborted children. Got it.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:42 pm »

Soda (cola and root beer) also give you small stimulant boosts. I believe cigarettes increase your INT as well.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: September 13, 2011, 01:05:41 am »

Regarding that mini-conversation I was having with Whales about limits on the number of traits you can have:

One thing I would at least play around with, to see if it works, is the following:
  • Trait maximum (on the positive and negative sides each) is limited by total number of points added/subtracted, not number of traits.
  • After a certain threshold of points, diminishing returns (or increasing costs) start kicking in, getting harsher with a greater number of points, in order to allow people to choose characters with lots of traits, but also disincentivize minmaxing.

Of course, if there's any form of diminishing returns, it should definitely be on a per-point basis, since otherwise you have weird logic such that the order in which you add the traits can make a difference.

Another reason for point #1 above is that it provides less incentive to choose a small number of high-point traits, like Schizophrenic or Bad Back.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:11:00 am by G-Flex »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: September 13, 2011, 01:16:02 am »

Yeah, Playing 1 character with a large assortment of minor bad traits actually sounds like it could be pretty entertaining.
*Hugs*

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: September 13, 2011, 03:18:56 am »

Yeah, Playing 1 character with a large assortment of minor bad traits actually sounds like it could be pretty entertaining.

it is :) I had a character with every bad trait. Bad back was actually one of the more annoying as I didn't take a great strength to start with.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: September 13, 2011, 06:11:10 am »

After accidentally deleting my entire game folder (while trying to delete my save game folder for that authentic roguelike "You died so now you start over. Entirely over." feeling) i decided to try to play the SSH server via Putty that's listed in the OP, and... Is numpad movement non-existent? Holy fucking shit i was seriously only able to play 5 minutes before my brain NOPE.gif'd the fuck out all over trying to rewrite my memory that diagonals are now on YUBN. Also the slight delay in movement commands bugged me on a barely-concious level, made worse by the fact that my wireless aa battery powered (fuck this gay earth technology) keyboard enjoys jittery/repeating key presses from time to time.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 777