Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1298948 times)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4605 on: August 05, 2011, 07:09:20 pm »

Find a basement and store it with food and water and set traps everywhere and on top floor too and then stay inside for days reading books and magazines and eating and sleeping

Edit: Or go outside and train your fighting skills and hope no hulk or army of necromancers chase you
Thanks, I'll have to try that but where can I get bear traps and other zombie-killing goodies?
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: August 05, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »

Sporting good stores.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: August 05, 2011, 07:36:05 pm »

You may also be able to find a bunch of traps just lying in the road. It's a special feature.

In other news, I KILLED A QUEEN TRIFFID! :D
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: August 05, 2011, 07:39:50 pm »

Hey, I really love this game but I unfortunately kind of suck at surviving for longer than 2-3 days so does anyone have any advice on long-term survival?
Also, out of curiosity what are the radios going to be used for in future releases?

When the game starts immediately break down a door and grab a 2x4. Start digging through houses for a backpack. If there's a clothing store nearby run to it and get a backback, or keep searching houses. Then check some hardware stores until you have a hammer and a box of nails. These 4 items will keep you alive after getting to a safe edge of town unless you've taken way too long, or you get unlucky with a pack of wolves. Remember to simply run away from zombies unless you're forced to fight for some reason (say there's a wave or two near your clothing store). Find a single window and lure the group(s) to it. Jump through and smack them with the 2x4 as they climb through. You'll most likely be able to kill all of them without taking a hit unless you've got a skeleton in there.

When you've got your hammer, nails, and backpack, check your map. If you see an isolated residential corner near a forest then you should probably head that way. Avoid swamps, bee hives, and ant hills. If there are any near that residential area then you should plan a different destination. When you arrive find a house that you like and check the neighborhood for zombies. If there are none then you're good to go. If only a few then you need to be really careful. Any more than a few and it's simply not safe.

Board up your house of choice when you're comfortable and there you go. Use the backpack to make supply runs and play the game however you like from there. It's pretty simple to survive long term if you can manage to get a quiet, residential safe house boarded up. Of course this is sort of the "easy way out", I'm sure people have more creative survival plans, but this always works for me unless I get unlucky with my starting home.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: August 05, 2011, 07:44:52 pm »

And oh shit there's another queen triffid. Molotovs are my friend.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: August 05, 2011, 07:47:17 pm »

I just killed a queen, too! It was the first one I'd seen, it had totally torn apart a liquor store. Unfortunately for it, liquor is flammable and a single molotov and some close-range shots from my trusty modded M1911 took it down.

I tried setting up a safehouse in a nice little area (well, as nice as one can be in this setting) on a riverbank near a swamp. I barricaded some windows, dug some holes and started reading some books. I'd taken up cooking and butchery, too, so food delivered itself to me semi-regularly in the form of giant insects from the swamp. Yum.
Everything was fine until a hulk somehow charged past three rows of pits, smashed through a barricade and woke me up in the middle of the night, and while fighting it I had a goddamn asthma attack. In an attempt to save inventory space, I had stockpiled all of my meds and food in the bathroom. I guess I forgot I had asthma while doing that, and, well, five or so steps doesn't seem too far when you're doing inventory management, but it's practically a mile when you're in a ton of pain and a hulk is standing on top of you. Lesson learned.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: August 05, 2011, 07:50:12 pm »

Holy shit. I just found an island! Now to follow this river and see if theres one with a house on it...

Also: Can acid rain hurt you if you're underwater?

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: August 05, 2011, 07:51:10 pm »

Yes.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: August 05, 2011, 07:52:55 pm »

Fuck.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: August 05, 2011, 08:03:22 pm »

This game has been slowing down my SMAC LP's progress this week..
 My greatest death so far happened after I reached my first ever gun shop. I decided to stick around and read some books, when lightning suddenly struck one corner of the building, setting it on fire. Right after, I heard a whumping sound from the other corner of the building, which turned out to be a zombie hulk battering down the wall. At this point I decided to get out of there, but the hulk chased me down and beat me to death.

One recurring annoyance is the (interesting but flawed) inventory system - when I'm scavenging, I have enough torso items equipped to bring my volume to around 150, but every time I have to melee eg. meeting fast zombies, it is optimal to laboriously drop my items one by one until I've negated my melee and dodging penalty. It's arguable whether the problem is more the fact that dropping items takes zero time, but I'm definitely looking forward to a future version where items are associated with containers and I can drop a backpack and 60 volume's worth of items in one action.

When the game starts immediately break down a door and grab a 2x4. Start digging through houses for a backpack. If there's a clothing store nearby run to it and get a backback, or keep searching houses. Then check some hardware stores until you have a hammer and a box of nails. These 4 items will keep you alive after getting to a safe edge of town unless you've taken way too long, or you get unlucky with a pack of wolves. Remember to simply run away from zombies unless you're forced to fight for some reason (say there's a wave or two near your clothing store). Find a single window and lure the group(s) to it. Jump through and smack them with the 2x4 as they climb through. You'll most likely be able to kill all of them without taking a hit unless you've got a skeleton in there.
Great advice, debvon. My problem is I'm too greedy and try to accumulate too much stuff right from the start - it's just a recipe for getting overrun.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:44:21 pm by baruk »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:37 pm »

I'd just like to throw this out there that if you have a question, or want advice on how to survive, check the fan forums first. Its likely been already answered there.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: August 05, 2011, 08:17:31 pm »

I'd just like to throw this out there that if you have a question, or want advice on how to survive, check the fan forums first. Its likely been already answered there.
Sorry, I hadn't thought of that.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: August 05, 2011, 08:27:56 pm »

i bet fire pwnz against triffids

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: August 05, 2011, 08:56:02 pm »

NOOOO! Johny jones!

Sigh. Over 10 in melee and piercing, armed with a stabbity stick, level three of the labs, I think I'm doing fine, and then... dead. should''ve watched my health better. On the upside, I was one-hitting manhacks, so they're not too bad.
Your spear gets stuck in the manhack!
The manhack dies!
J - Manhack halberd

Whales, are there plans to eventually reanimate player corpses, and maybe the dead scientist/soldier corpses?  If worldgen littered the world with dead people, and some of them reanimated, that would be pretty cool too.

I was wondering if the Necromancers could reanimate non-zombies.  Zombears sound awesome, and should totally continue to exist.  :<

Do you plan to add in (probably rarely encountered) unique NPCs, in the vein of Sigmund from Crawl?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4619 on: August 05, 2011, 09:29:22 pm »

I found a TDI Vector and some mods from raiding a few gun shops. Great SMG.

I stuck a Silencer, Enhanced Grip, Barrel Extension, and Gyroscopic Stabilizer on it. It made it -7 damage, but with the regular .45 ammo thats still 25 (more than my 9mm smg and that one has a damage bonus). With all the stabilizing stuff on it, it has -19 recoil. .45 ammo is 18. So it fires indefinitely with no recoil, and with very good accuracy. Ammo capacity is only 27, but firing single shots it works fine. The 8 shot burst is nice for emergencies too.

Only downside is the thing is so big and heavy, it's 13 volume 25 weight with the mods. My old 9mm SMG is only 5 volume, guess I'll keep it around as a side arm.

Speaking of accuracy, are weapon mods for accuracy bugged, or is it just the display? I did the gyro + barrel extension thing to boost accuracy, but the weapon still shows 85 (the base). It should be 94 with all the mods.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 777