Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299042 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4500 on: August 04, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »

An MP3 player seems to be the easiest way to rack up xp.

I just used an MP3 player while reading. Turn player on, read until the music bonus fades, reload batteries, repeat. Gained thousands of xp with just a few loads of batteries while reading the various skill books I picked up in a library.

My char goes everywhere with his mp3 player. Roaming around a science lab, shooting zombies and turrets with a fusion rifle, listening to music and stripping electronics (flashlights, radios) and the various robots and turrets of their batteries to keep it and my flashlight going.

I just imagine him roaming around carefree dancing around as he incinerates everything with the fusion rifle. Everything dies in one shot, and I find enough plutonium cells and superglue to make more ammo as I go. This latest science lab is massive, my char has spent an entire day in there and now hes on his way out to get some sleep. It just keeps going and going and going.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:42:44 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: August 04, 2011, 07:45:49 pm »

Good lord the Recycling Unit implant is amazing. Day 3 and all I've eaten is an apple and I'm still full.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: August 04, 2011, 07:54:39 pm »

I'd really like to get another use for XP since i usually get tons of it in 2 or 3 days, is there anything else i can do with them?
There will be. soon Whales is adding a special artifact crafting or special ability thing that costs XP in the thousands range.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: August 04, 2011, 08:06:24 pm »

I had a random idea for items while I was eating dinner. No idea if it's worth anything..just kinda a bit of realism or variety.

I was thinking that bottles of alcohol, or really any kind of food item could sort of be..randomized. What I mean by that is if you find a house with a bottle of alcohol, instead of it always being full, it could have a random amount of 'charges' left in it. Furthermore, a bottle of milk or orange juice could only be partially full, and only provide a partial bonus that an otherwise full one would give. Shops/stores would, naturally enough, always be stocked with full versions of these products.

Make any sense, or is that too much work? Just a random thought. It might give players more of an incentive to risk looting shops, rather than camping out in homes.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: August 04, 2011, 08:11:34 pm »

Does storing perishable food stuff (Fruits, vegetable, etc) increase their life? Or is there technically no power in buildings? 
Your buildings are powerless.
Yeah, there is currently no way to store foods so that they don't rot. Although refrigerators/coolers would make a pretty cool addition, and its likely that Whales might already have a way to store food planned.

Err guys, if coolers work there is no electricity so i think we'd require a new item that is a generator or something and connecting it in a house/shop would power the electricity that'd rock..and we'd need fuel or something for the generator

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: August 04, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »

Actually, that's a good idea, because gasoline is used for only 3 things (as far as I know): Jackhammers, chainsaws, and setting on fire.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: August 04, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »

And molotovs.
Though that prolly falls under setting on fire.
*Hugs*

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: August 04, 2011, 08:21:45 pm »

And molotovs.
Whisky is so much better for it, though.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: August 04, 2011, 08:23:16 pm »

What a whaste of whonderful whiskey!
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: August 04, 2011, 08:28:27 pm »

Gasoline is also useful for fueling the craftable flamethrower, but again, that's "setting things on fire."

Generators are a planned addition, but don't expect them any time soon I guess.

XP is going to be useful for big purchases at some point, and fairly soon it'll undergo a big re-balancing, and will use a new system devised by SSH server admin Eronarn, which will make boosts decline on a half-life model (the scientific concept of half-life, not the video game).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: August 04, 2011, 08:31:58 pm »

Are there multiple servers of cataclysm? The one listed at the very beginning of this threat is outdated, for example i can't use Shift+D, or it is updated and im posibly missing something? I'm playing on Eronarn server.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: August 04, 2011, 08:36:02 pm »

Are there multiple servers of cataclysm? The one listed at the very beginning of this threat is outdated, for example i can't use Shift+D, or it is updated and im posibly missing something? I'm playing on Eronarn server.

Eronarn's a little behind the update curve sometimes.  There aren't any other servers that I know of, but be patient, he'll update sooner or later!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: August 04, 2011, 08:46:12 pm »

Got a bunch of ant eggs. Anything to do with them besides eat them?
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: August 04, 2011, 08:46:59 pm »

Burn them before they hatch?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: August 04, 2011, 08:49:37 pm »

Make them into superglue, I think?  Or find a queen ant and make her do tricks with them.

Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 777