Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299121 times)

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4425 on: August 04, 2011, 05:55:42 am »

How do i get power to use my bionics? my pow is 0
You need bionics that provide power.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: August 04, 2011, 06:43:11 am »

Can I make a quick request? A command to repeat actions would be really handy. Maybe use Shift+a? It would make sewing, eating complex objects (bread, pies, beef jerky, pretzels, candy) and barricading much simpler.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: August 04, 2011, 07:24:03 am »

A small mod for experimenters and munchkins: All CBMs Craftable

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: August 04, 2011, 07:26:44 am »

WOW! That was intense xD I went to go check the Library that I was ran out of a few days back, and finally found a first aid book that I've been looking all over for(but it's kinda useless now that my FA skill islevel 2 :/) as well as a book for advanced electronics(What's a good way to up your electronics skill without skill books?). After stashing those away I thought I might as well see if there was anything elseof interest around the area. So I leave via the exit to my left only to be jumped by a Shocker, a mass of Zombies and a Brute. I instantly had my
plan. The Brute was far away enough, along with the Zombies, to allow me to take care of the Shocker first. So I did. I seen that the Zombies were still lagging behind the Brute, so I directed the fire of myS&W22A(.22) at him. Took me a few shots before I realized it wasn't doing jack-all. At this point I realized that I was screwed. Not only was my character not a melee build, it only had 44 HP on my head.
With no other options than to stand my ground, I went toe-to-toe with the beast. He pummeled my head in pretty good, but I struck the winning blow with my crowbar. And so, with my brains leaking out ofears, I ran disorientated back towards my safe-house with the local greeting party hot on my trails. Luckily I had set up a kind of road block on the way back home. Mostly just tainted meat lined along theroad set ablaze. I made it back with 4 HP. Unbelievable.
The city that I spawned in is absolutely infested. I retreated to the East end of town where they don't spawn, but the worst thing about that is: I've got the city to my west, beehives to my north, minefields to my east, and slime pits to my south.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:28:27 am by Lolzwheejars »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: August 04, 2011, 07:39:47 am »

Why I'm making that change? Hmm, the story is simple. A while ago I've committed some patches to the ToME 3 (fixing some bugs in alchemist code, and in ToME 4 he was removed due to being quite OP even in midgame), and their code policy was so nice that I started to use it in my projects. And it helped immensely.

Might I ask what the F are you talking about? I have been a core dev for TOME4 until a while ago and the alchemist was not removed at all, and I didn't hear anything like that from Darkgod... as well, since when did we have a code policy other than "make the code work and be readable"?
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:12 am »

Might I ask what the F are you talking about? I have been a core dev for TOME4 until a while ago and the alchemist was not removed at all, and I didn't hear anything like that from Darkgod... as well, since when did we have a code policy other than "make the code work and be readable"?
Alchemist as it was in ToME3 (OP class easily creating weapons/armor with +50 modifiers in it) was removed, as I heard before I stopped playing with the T3 sources. And about a code policy... Well, I was sure that ToME had one. Something like "as less hacks as possible" (hacks as defined by comments in code) and such things. May be I created this policy in my own mind, I dunno... But I followed the sources for some time, and it was clearly something about that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: August 04, 2011, 08:11:33 am »

Is rope any good? Can I use it to descend into my own pits? if so, how?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: August 04, 2011, 08:27:09 am »

Alchemist as it was in ToME3 (OP class easily creating weapons/armor with +50 modifiers in it) was removed, as I heard before I stopped playing with the T3 sources. And about a code policy... Well, I was sure that ToME had one. Something like "as less hacks as possible" (hacks as defined by comments in code) and such things. May be I created this policy in my own mind, I dunno... But I followed the sources for some time, and it was clearly something about that.

Ah you mean in the style of T3. Then yes, your statement is true, the current Alchemist is a completely different experience.
Hmm, I am still sure DG didn't enforce any sort of coding guidelines. His style is quite tidy though, and many contributors copypasted whole functions around so the resulting code ended up all looking the same. As for my style it's almost identical to DG's so my code never clashed with his. But I am still sure there are no "written" guidelines anywhere.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: August 04, 2011, 08:29:10 am »

I just compiled this and I'm having some issues. When I view the inventory, the item names are black (as is the background), rendering them invisible. Is there a fix for this?
Also, how big should my terminal be so I can see the whole veiw?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: August 04, 2011, 08:34:22 am »

I just compiled this and I'm having some issues. When I view the inventory, the item names are black (as is the background), rendering them invisible. Is there a fix for this?
Also, how big should my terminal be so I can see the whole veiw?
What distro? Also try changing the default coloring (and your desktop theme).

As for the size, it should notify you if it's too small. As long as you can see the game, it's big enough.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: August 04, 2011, 08:55:53 am »

I'm running Gentoo Linux. I tried changing the colors back to their defaults (and then back to my custom theme) but I got the same results. I also tried using a solid terminal instead of a transparent one, still nothing. The only place it seems to work is at the root terminal. My terminal is Rxvt Unicode.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: August 04, 2011, 08:58:54 am »

Huh. Can't say I know what to do then. The only distro I ever used was Ubuntu, and even that just for testing Linux-only gaems.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: August 04, 2011, 09:00:40 am »

I'm running Gentoo Linux. I tried changing the colors back to their defaults (and then back to my custom theme) but I got the same results. I also tried using a solid terminal instead of a transparent one, still nothing. The only place it seems to work is at the root terminal. My terminal is Rxvt Unicode.

That's odd, I use urxvt myself. This is my .xresources for it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I run it like this: urxvt -geometry 80x25 -font 9x15 -title "Cataclysm" -tn "rxvt" -e cataclysm

Can you try and see if it works for you? Maybe your TERM is set to urxvt or urxvt-88/256 and Cataclysm fails to recognize it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:03:29 am by DalGren »

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: August 04, 2011, 09:11:16 am »

I tried using your colors, I launched urxvt in the same way, etc., and still nothing. My TERM is set to rxvt-unicode.

e, I'd say the git branch is broken or something. I'll try recompiling tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:14:03 am by ILikePie »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:04 am »

I tried using your colors, I launched urxvt in the same way, etc., and still nothing. My TERM is set to rxvt-unicode.

e, I'd say the git branch is broken or something. I'll try recompiling tomorrow.

Set it to rxvt or xterm and tell me if there is any change.

No, the git branch is definitely alright. Compiles, builds and runs, even stripping the binary. (maybe you didn't clean up after consecutive builds?)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:24:08 am by DalGren »
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 777