Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299310 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4155 on: August 01, 2011, 07:32:14 pm »

Right, so I feel I should say a few things.

First, variety. Holy shit, where to start. Upon stepping out of my house as Number Three (I name all my characters sequentially) I was greeted by an eyebot, apparently natural wildlife. Then I was introduced to manhacks.

During an acid rain, I could spy triffids roaming about, stumblic in the corrosive acid.

Wolves have not been a constant problem to me, yet usually spell instant death. they killed Two and Ten.

Number fourteen, my most succesfull character, was introduced to three different new zombie types. specifically, fungal zombies, spitters, and shocker zombies.

That's not even covering guns. A wide variety of ammo and weaponry means that ammo is scarce, and you can't run in rambo style on situations.

My advice to whales: keep adding shit in. Pack the game with as many monsters and animals as possible, so that it takes well over fifty games to get used to the world.

As for me, I have discovered a walled of city. Number fourteen is interested.

One last thing. what use do radios have?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: August 01, 2011, 07:33:41 pm »

Damnit, I thought that battery unloading thing was fixed.  Never happens on Linux.

And yes, the construction update will be easily modded.  Construction will mostly use trees and 2x4s for now.

Before you guys get too excited, let me just say that Cataclysm, for many many reasons, does not lend itself well to fort-building and complex base construction.  The construction expansion is mainly there so you can build yourself a makeshift shelter in the woods.  I guess you can go nuts and build yourself a complex manor, but there's no great need to, and Cataclysm is really centered on being an exploration / adventure game, not a building / defense game.

Yes, I get too carried away. Still, would be a nice option...if you can pull it off *wink wink* (Read, you can make it hard to do, only "possible"). Nevertheless, it'd be fun if some sandboxy elements made it in. Just to give the extra use to that map format. Even if it's more complicated to do so compared to other games. You know that no matter how difficult, if you can customize the world that little bit, users love it and find every possible way to make it work. I mean I recall people doing that stuff in Nethack and I think Crawl too. Munchkin guerrilla tactics.

Yes, I just mean that the way monster spawning and map data currently work defeat large, complex forts.  Zombies will simply spawn inside of them.  Still possible to make clever, small forts though!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: August 01, 2011, 07:34:01 pm »

If someone could give me steps to reproduce the problem--ideally using the Wish dialogue so I can do so quickly--please do so.

Let me check to make sure it still works in the newest version. Doing that now.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: August 01, 2011, 07:35:07 pm »

Oh, Whales, on the battery unload thing, I get it in Linux. I haven't tested it in the latest build though.
I think it's related to the last ammo reloaded. If you reload batteries into a device, then you immediately seem to be able to unload a radio or a flashlight. If you used 9mm ammo, it will crash.
Unfortunately this only happens with items I find lying around, so I don't think it'll work with wishing.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: August 01, 2011, 07:38:22 pm »

Damnit, I thought that battery unloading thing was fixed.  Never happens on Linux.

And yes, the construction update will be easily modded.  Construction will mostly use trees and 2x4s for now.

Before you guys get too excited, let me just say that Cataclysm, for many many reasons, does not lend itself well to fort-building and complex base construction.  The construction expansion is mainly there so you can build yourself a makeshift shelter in the woods.  I guess you can go nuts and build yourself a complex manor, but there's no great need to, and Cataclysm is really centered on being an exploration / adventure game, not a building / defense game.

Yes, I get too carried away. Still, would be a nice option...if you can pull it off *wink wink* (Read, you can make it hard to do, only "possible"). Nevertheless, it'd be fun if some sandboxy elements made it in. Just to give the extra use to that map format. Even if it's more complicated to do so compared to other games. You know that no matter how difficult, if you can customize the world that little bit, users love it and find every possible way to make it work. I mean I recall people doing that stuff in Nethack and I think Crawl too. Munchkin guerrilla tactics.

Yes, I just mean that the way monster spawning and map data currently work defeat large, complex forts.  Zombies will simply spawn inside of them.  Still possible to make clever, small forts though!

Oh yes, I am not thinking something like Minecraft, but something like a little shack that fits in a 8x8 square or so. With basic stuff like a crate or a shelf or something, a fridge, a kitchen and perhaps inside doors and stuff like that. Mostly a little fort to go down in a blaze of glory when zombies demolish it.
Also I think that it'd be cool if we could be kind of the "king of the town" if you happen to deplete all possible monsters somehow.

EDIT: TL;DR = Emergent gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:43:59 pm by DalGren »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: August 01, 2011, 07:47:02 pm »

Okay, well, my starting house apparently leads to the subway, which DOESN'T lead back to my starting house, BUT I don't know how to wish for a gun, heh. Gonna have to find one manually.

Edit:
A radio too, since apparently we can only wish for FANCY radios.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:50:03 pm by GlyphGryph »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:37 pm »

:(

Ahem, can we construct shelves which are useless but look nice? :D

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:55 pm »

So, I started playing this about the same time I started reading William S. Burroughs' first novel Junky .It's autobiographical, and tells about his fun tiemz with heroin and morphine. He has no regrets and says he's quit heroin more times then he could count on his hands. I haven't managed to get addicted to anything yet, although I did try and empty an inhaler for XP (an enriching experience I assure you). So I was reading Junky, and the physical aspect of withdrawls actually seems rather mild compared to what every form of media (minus TrainSpotting) has led me to believe. With the right implements and careful preparation on hand, heroin addiction is quite simple provided you can't find any more of it. Physical withdrawals are only described to take about five to eight days (this seems like weeks if you can't get any heroin, codeine, morphine or suboxone equivalents), and then you feel normal, and then some cravings afterwards. How is addiction handled in the game? Anything like this... at all? (First death due to zombie attracted by the sound of breaking into a house. making a note here: Break glass instead of using a shotgun for locked doors.)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: August 01, 2011, 07:51:25 pm »

-SNIP-
What happened to number four? :P
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: August 01, 2011, 07:51:34 pm »

Okay, well, my starting house apparently leads to the subway, which DOESN'T lead back to my starting house, BUT I don't know how to wish for a gun, heh. Gonna have to find one manually.
NOTE: don't type any " displayed below:
Try this, hit Z (shift+z), then "/", then "Glock" (important to start with cap G), then enter. It'll give you a gun. Then do Z, /, "9mm", enter.

By the way, is there any sort of weapon mod item that applies to the crossbow? I've taken a like to it, but none of the pistol mods seem to affect it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: August 01, 2011, 07:54:15 pm »

Ah, that works. Still don't know how to get a radio though!

Anyways, can't seem to reproduce the bug for now, I'll give it another go in the morning, though. It may have been fixed after all if you've tweaked things recently.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:05:03 pm by GlyphGryph »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: August 01, 2011, 07:58:15 pm »

So is it possible to dig directly down? :D I haven't got a shovel yet, but I'm talking Minecraft, like just digging my way to who knows what.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: August 01, 2011, 08:00:27 pm »

So is it possible to dig directly down? :D I haven't got a shovel yet, but I'm talking Minecraft, like just digging my way to who knows what.
Nah, digging just make pits, which cause damage.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: August 01, 2011, 08:04:31 pm »

:(

Ahem, can we construct shelves which are useless but look nice? :D

You can now put stuff on shelves....Uses the shift+d command. Makes things less cluttered.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: August 01, 2011, 08:04:40 pm »

No sane man would start digging and not stop until he gets zombies, exploding penises and flows of magma. Here digging means at best a shallow grave, hopefully not for you.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 777