Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299387 times)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4050 on: August 01, 2011, 12:17:30 pm »

Any comments on the comic?

Does something happen at 3k exp? :P

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »

Ah, i forgot to mention, Whales is planning a system that deals with the massive amounts of exp you get. Large amounts will be usable to craft artifacts, use powers(?), and get major boosts.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: August 01, 2011, 12:27:42 pm »

It sounds gimmicky but probably will work.

For now lots of XP = lots of accumulated happiness. I wouldn't be surprised if it spawned unicorns...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: August 01, 2011, 12:29:03 pm »

Yep, cataclysm replaced rogue survivor for me then bumped up above crawl.

Exactly what I was going to say. I just got bored because of it's simplicity

I only have one request, and I believe in my heart that everyone will agree with me on this. NEVER stop making Cataclysm for your own entertainment and for the wonder of experimentation, fun, and programming. Every game I've ever loved was ruined by programmers who got a taste of cash and then became money-hungry. Same goes for bands, actors, and everyone else.

I believe in you, Whales, and know you're a good man. Keep up the great work, and never stop doing what you're doing :D

Please don't go the way of Minecraft. Thank you. Lol

Exactly what I was going to say, again. Seriously I gave up playing some of my favorite games because of this. I'm sick of seeing things like "Premium Content!" I completely believe Whales won't be like this :)

So XP is nothing more than a way to see how much your character have developed for now?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: August 01, 2011, 12:29:43 pm »

I believe thats the only reason we have such large amounts of unused xp right now. Because the boosts and artifacts arent in yet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:07 pm »

Would a hydrophilic trait work at all?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4056 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:20 pm »

For adding new characters- Go into pldata.h, and change the character_type enum, the pltype_name[] const std::string, and the pltype_desc[] const std::string.

then go into newcharacter.cpp, and add the code to generate your character. You can add traits by using toggle_trait(PF_TRAIT).

as an example, I've added a "Mutant" character that starts off with robust genetics and unstable genetics. I'm also thinking of having him start with some random mutations.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:47 pm »

*Once artifacts are in*
I just spent 10000 XP on Rockhealth the exalted AK47 of incest!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »

Really? I have never gotten past ~800XP, it goes down quick as soon as you fight or shot or learn some crafting. (EDIT: I mean, I have seen it rise above 800, but once spent in various skills I always end up having around that much)
And it's not really accumulated happiness, you know, you can still have -100 morale with 1000+XP.

EDIT: Seen in a specific way, XP is a bit like score.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:44:46 pm by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: August 01, 2011, 12:44:00 pm »

Really? I have never gotten past ~800XP, it goes down quick as soon as you fight or shot or learn some crafting.
And it's not really accumulated happiness, you know, you can still have -100 morale with 1000+XP.

EDIT: Seen in a specific way, XP is a bit like score.

I regularly hit 3000+ XP. The key is to keep drinking and smoking, particularly while reading or before sleeping. Cooking and relying on soda for quenching also help.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »

Oh, I play with addictive personality so I only use pot as drug. And aspirin. Nothing else. Only music and books and food.
I am sort of thinking what *I* would do in that situation, and getting an addiction is a massive handicap. I also happen to have that flaw in real life so I am used to thinking like that.

EDIT: Surprisingly I manage to survive an average of 5 days, my max being something near 9 IIRC.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: August 01, 2011, 12:50:02 pm »

I haven't been able to survive a day recently. I keep getting swarmed by zombies when I try to get to a clothing store for a backpack...

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: August 01, 2011, 12:52:18 pm »

My first place of interest: Sporting goods stores. Most all starter survival tools are there. Then the pharmacy, liquer store if I have rags, grocery store for food, gun store, then shelter.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: August 01, 2011, 12:53:52 pm »

I haven't been able to survive a day recently. I keep getting swarmed by zombies when I try to get to a clothing store for a backpack...

Skip the backpack. Run with double trenchcoats, cargo pants and some fanny packs... much easier.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: August 01, 2011, 12:55:17 pm »

You should aim for finding backpacks at houses, Panda. I usually find mine inside houses at least. Alternatively try to use something else like a purse, fanny pack, messenger bag, etc which appear often in houses and allow to carry enough stuff before you can actually fill a backpack with items. EDIT: Oh! I believe backpacks also spawn in clothing stores, but don't trust me on that.

EDIT: In my play style the starting point is always houses, then hardware store. And *then* sporting goods, mostly trying to find water purifiers.

Reminds me, is there any other type of axe other than the hatchet? Like a wood axe or something like that?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 12:57:54 pm by DalGren »
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 777