Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299974 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #3525 on: July 28, 2011, 04:17:11 pm »

Using the cheat/debug functions leads to some very messed up behavior. That might explain the second character, at least. Not sure if you did the same with the first.

However, bees (like wasps) have a very different spawn algorithm than zombies, and one that is far more inclined towards bugs. I've noticed a couple myself, but nothing like what you're describing.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: July 28, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »

Very weird, Repulsion.  Never seen anything like that.  Glyph is right though, using debug tools like the teleportation might lead to odd behavior.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: July 28, 2011, 04:27:39 pm »

It's probably explained somewhere in the early stages of the thread, but be damned if I can find it.  I've been wondering this for a while: what does all that "XP" actually do?  There's no mention of it in the help files, and every thing I've tested seems to show no effect.  I just keep accumulating all this XP, based on morale level as far as I can tell, that doesn't actually do anything.

It'd be nice if you could trade it in for state increases.  I'd really like to read that "Robotics for Fun and Profit" book, but with 11 Intelligence, that means chugging gallons of Purifier and hoping I don't just turn into the Hulk instead.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3528 on: July 28, 2011, 04:28:26 pm »

It's used when training skills. Without it, you can'r get your skills up.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:57 pm »

I'd really like to read that "Robotics for Fun and Profit" book, but with 11 Intelligence, that means chugging gallons of Purifier and hoping I don't just turn into the Hulk instead.
Lots of stimulants increase intelligence too.
I think caffiene pills upped it by two or three for me
*Hugs*

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3530 on: July 28, 2011, 04:31:43 pm »

Got this...

Not quite sure what to make of it...
It's probably explained somewhere in the early stages of the thread, but be damned if I can find it.  I've been wondering this for a while: what does all that "XP" actually do?  There's no mention of it in the help files, and every thing I've tested seems to show no effect.  I just keep accumulating all this XP, based on morale level as far as I can tell, that doesn't actually do anything.

It'd be nice if you could trade it in for state increases.  I'd really like to read that "Robotics for Fun and Profit" book, but with 11 Intelligence, that means chugging gallons of Purifier and hoping I don't just turn into the Hulk instead.
Actually, exp is spent in gaining skills. If you whack a zombie, the exp is spent from your exp pool into all skills associated with learning from that action. With 0 exp in your main pool, your skills will not level up at all. Basically saying:
Exp goes into your exp pool by being happy.
Exp is removed from that pool and and placed into skills when those skills are exercised.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: July 28, 2011, 04:37:40 pm »

Well, no wonder I didn't notice then.  My current character has about 6000 XP, so any bite taken out by actions isn't going to be missed.  Is the rate at which XP is allocated variable?  Because I'm sitting on piles of it.

I had no idea drugs besides cigarettes could increase your stats, let alone caffeine pills.  I guess I was too afraid of being addicted to them, since caffeine is a pretty big monkey on your back in this game.  Not as bad as cigarettes obviously - why, hello there -52 morale penalty, which immediately lighting up does not cure.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: July 28, 2011, 04:38:11 pm »

Does your guy have the schizophrenia perk. And is Arrays Mewmers or Mewmers Array his/her name.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: July 28, 2011, 04:40:07 pm »

iceball3: Are you Schizophrenic? :P

And yes, stimulants, particularly Adderall, are very good at temporarily boosting your intelligence for studying purposes.  But some high-level books may simply be off limits to all but the smartest characters--this is entirely intended.

XP is increased depending on your morale level.  Generally it's between 0 and 1 per turn, occasionally faster if you're very happy.  I need to update the help to include information about this.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: July 28, 2011, 04:52:25 pm »

I wrote a mod that adds a realistic flashlight, here are some pics:

It also adds a lantern that works like the original flashlight but is rarer and lasts less of the flashlight.
Beware, because you can't see the zombies behind you!
More information here.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: July 28, 2011, 04:58:08 pm »

Whales, you're going to be rolling most of Deon's stuff in, right?
Actually, I'd be interested know which if any mod changes you'll be throwing into the official release soon.

Drevlin
Flashlight mod is cool, I really like the idea, but considering we don't have a "facing" for our character, I'm not sure how it would work/is working. Nice idea, how is the implementation going?
Edit: Haha, reading the link, see you figured all that out. Very nice, I love it!

Although now I'm thinking that a craftable "torch" item (wood+rag+oil) that is like a flashlight (but perhaps with less range?) would be kind of cool to throw in.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:03:59 pm by GlyphGryph »

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: July 28, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »

A torch could also lit things on fire.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: July 28, 2011, 05:06:48 pm »

Yeah, you're right, I didn't even think about the potential as a weapon!

And a gas lantern could work like a molotov that provides light, would be kind of cool...

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: July 28, 2011, 05:15:41 pm »

Everything is a weapon, when wandering around gas stations  ;)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: July 28, 2011, 05:23:36 pm »

How do you generate a new world? Delete all your saved games and start a new char?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 777