Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300382 times)

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #3165 on: July 26, 2011, 03:11:18 pm »

Deleting the save folder fixed it. Thanks.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: July 26, 2011, 03:13:11 pm »

This was intended to be the L4D rogue like when you concieved it, right whales? 
I think it's more like "Valve appreciation" roguelike.

L4D setting and zombies, Half-Life robots and styled labs :). Of course it's unique in its own way, but it shows that the creator appreciates certain games. And the works of mr. Lovecraft.

By the way, I plan to add "rifle", "pistol" etc. to gun names. It should help those who are not gun nuts to understand the type of the gun without checking its description. What do you think?

Thanks for the new version, Head! Is the source updated? I will update the mod then.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: July 26, 2011, 03:17:46 pm »

By the way, I plan to add "rifle", "pistol" etc. to gun names. It should help those who are not gun nuts to understand the type of the gun without checking its description. What do you think?
While I would disagree with your decision, I am kinda of a "gun nut", so yeah, the question doesn't really apply to me. But if you do, can you do handgun instead of pistol?
The word pistol always seemed silly to me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:18 pm »

Yep, in russian both "handgun" and "pistol" mean the same, so it's not a problem for me :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: July 26, 2011, 03:22:49 pm »

I don't really mind, but doesn't the description of said weapon already specify what type a gun is?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: July 26, 2011, 03:24:14 pm »

Yeah, but Deon's method will save a bit of time when just glancing through gunshops and such.
*Hugs*

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: July 26, 2011, 03:32:36 pm »

A better idea would be to allow the person to examine the item fully like you could if you examine it or have it in your inventory.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: July 26, 2011, 03:52:19 pm »

TMoM is right, I want you to see the gun type right as you glance at it, not after you read its detailed description :).

Also, a new release will be up soon, with a new terrain type.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: July 26, 2011, 03:55:17 pm »

Your naming thing will also be very useful when using the ; command to look, as I don't think that even lets you look in detail at items.
*Hugs*

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: July 26, 2011, 04:03:11 pm »

I think that would be very useful, stumbling around a gun shop looking at the descriptions of all the guns gets old after a while.

Also, I think smashing a bank window with a shotgun, the horde of eyebots descending and taking my picture and the zombies coming out of the woodwork are all related.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: July 26, 2011, 04:09:53 pm »

Agreed. Though I mostly check weapons to see what kind of ammo they use. It's really a pain in the ass to search for appropriate weapons for the ammo I find. I mostly get weapons this way:

1. Find a gun shop. Make sure there are no zombies around.
2. Pick up all the guns (if you don't have space drop something)
3. Check the ammo cabinets for green ones and pick them up
4. Drop all the guns and pick up only the green ones
5. Drop heavy guns, inefficent guns and guns that have the least ammo if you lack space. No need to carry 5 guns with you.

There you go, with the appropriate guns for the appropriate ammo. If there are any easier ways let me know. My character pretty much sucks without firearms.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:13:11 pm by Leatra »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: July 26, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »

What level of butchering do you need to make the tainted flesh edible?

Also :

Can you lockpick doors instead of bashing them down?

Oi!
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: July 26, 2011, 04:13:31 pm »

Can you lockpick doors instead of bashing them down?
No, but you can pry them open by 'a'pplying a crowbar.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: July 26, 2011, 04:17:12 pm »

This was intended to be the L4D rogue like when you concieved it, right whales? 
I think it's more like "Valve appreciation" roguelike.

L4D setting and zombies, Half-Life robots and styled labs :). Of course it's unique in its own way, but it shows that the creator appreciates certain games. And the works of mr. Lovecraft.

Thanks for the new version, Head! Is the source updated? I will update the mod then.

In its earliest incarnation Cataclysm was a pure L4D roguelike, meant to be a coffeebreak roguelike that you could beat in 15 minutes.  Then I wrote the map generator, and realized that I had an awesome city/wilderness generator on my hands, and that I didn't want to limit its use to a sprinty run'n'gun game, so I moved in the sandbox direction.  To get away from looking like a L4D clone, I added in other monsters, drawing from popular culture in some cases (triffids, graboids) and just making others up.  My natural love of Half-Life and Lovecraft definitely informed the creation of the labs, no argument there.

I like the idea of indicating what kind of firearm something is in the name, Deon, but that might make some names too long, and get cut off in the inventory screen or by the recoil notification.  I think I might add a ? key to using x or ; to look around, which lets you pull up the full information on an item.

I think that would be very useful, stumbling around a gun shop looking at the descriptions of all the guns gets old after a while.

Also, I think smashing a bank window with a shotgun, the horde of eyebots descending and taking my picture and the zombies coming out of the woodwork are all related.

Yes, yes they are...
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: July 26, 2011, 04:17:36 pm »

how do i survive day 1?
I have a safehouse with a basement full of guns and food.
Every time i go out zombies come out of the woodworks.
Its all over when the mantis or the fast zombies comes out especially the necro zombie.

I tried the window choke point, tried the pit trap method, i tried fire but i eventually get swarmed.
Any advice?
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 777