Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300545 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #3045 on: July 25, 2011, 04:55:00 pm »

Random thought: it'd be unrealistic to expect fridges to be functionally different from cabinets, given the context. Power grid is dead.
Nobody said it's dead. Besides, do you think the zombies turned it off or something?
Think, let's quote the anti-spiral.
"WHERE ARE YOU DRAWING ALL THIS POWER FROM?!"
You need people to manage the electricity producing facilities, otherwise, they shut down, break, or just stop running because no one is making it run.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: July 25, 2011, 04:57:00 pm »

Random thought: it'd be unrealistic to expect fridges to be functionally different from cabinets, given the context. Power grid is dead.
Nobody said it's dead. Besides, do you think the zombies turned it off or something?
You need people to manage the electricity producing facilities, otherwise, they shut down, break, or just stop running because no one is making it run.

But we are in the future! Robots might be managing it :D (please)
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Sir Moops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: July 25, 2011, 04:58:45 pm »

If drivable cars are going to be in a game then the Toyota trucks should have the highest durability of them all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: July 25, 2011, 05:00:25 pm »

Would make complete sense. In a futuristic society, it would make sense to have much more jobs automatised. Also, power plants don't just break down. What is breaking down are the wires. And if they're the "buried underground" type, they're pretty much safe. With everyone dead, there's also much lesser usage so not so much can burn out.

If drivable cars are going to be in a game then tanks should have the highest durability of them all.[/url]
Fix'd :P

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: July 25, 2011, 05:33:50 pm »

Would make complete sense. In a futuristic society, it would make sense to have much more jobs automatised. Also, power plants don't just break down. What is breaking down are the wires. And if they're the "buried underground" type, they're pretty much safe. With everyone dead, there's also much lesser usage so not so much can burn out.

well, now this is interesting.
Even if machines do all the work, even the machines must be supervised by someone. This could lead to some underground facilities being populated and safe from all the people on surface, basically creating two distinct societies. This sounds a lot like fallout, and i don't know if whales is thinking of adding some kind of storyline (i think so), but this would be a nice start. You could use computers to communicate with the people underground, and they could give you missions. Maybe stablish some trade between the surface and underground people. Since they would have the power generators, they would trade energy for other things.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »

So, how about those pawn shops? Are those going to be implemeted? Also, are cars going to be included later on? It would give gas stations vital purpose, and help town to town travel.

The whole alarm thing came from your idea of alarmed pawn shops.  THey'll make it in soon! :)  Cars may be included waaaay down the line, no time soon.

Power plants (probably nuclear ones for that classic flavor) are a planned addition.  They're largely automated, but require maitenance and have broken down.  Maybe in the future you can do missions for a faction to help get one working again, but for now the power grid is down.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:12 pm »

I've decided that I really love the current Whales' Cataclysm setting, so Fallout mod will wait :).

Deon's little mod V7.

- 13 new food items, including ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, weird fruit, raw potato, baked potato, scrambled egg, bread, fruit pie, pizza, dinner, broth, soup).
- New cooking recipes, which make cooking become a more useful skill, especially because now flour, sugar and salt take place of some previously edible food.
- New recipe for a superglue (weird fruit + ammonia, requires no skill and 1 unit of hotplate).
- Tweaks to cooking times.
- New gun mods (a scope for rifles and L.A.M. for everything, to increase accuracy).
- Army helmet is renamed to combat helmet and gets protective glasses (environment protection).
- Sledgehammers appear in more places.

A bit of setback since some of the "changes" are in the game yet (yay!). But close to the original, and with more cooking!
Also once Whales notices the question about the map in the main forums in the pinned thread, I will add a new terrain "badlands".

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/?u6jod6xfitg8d4j
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:28:22 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: July 25, 2011, 05:54:14 pm »

Hint hint? :)  I've noticed it, just haven't quite taken the time to come up with a good explanation, haha
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: July 25, 2011, 06:14:21 pm »

Having to trek through the sewers to get deep underground to (re)hook up certain areas to a power grid would be a fun quest or random thing you can do.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: July 25, 2011, 06:18:28 pm »

Hint hint? :)  I've noticed it, just haven't quite taken the time to come up with a good explanation, haha
Thank you very much :).

Right now people will enjoy the cooking aspect. Why wouldn't you merge it in along with the flour, sugar, salt and mutfruit, and some new food items? Everything in the code is commented with "// Deon's mod".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: July 25, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »

Right now people will enjoy the cooking aspect. Why wouldn't you merge it in along with the flour, sugar, salt and mutfruit, and some new food items? Everything in the code is commented with "// Deon's mod".
But would mutfruit even fit in the world of Cataclysm?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: July 25, 2011, 06:45:14 pm »

There's already a similar fruit isn't there?
Looks like a clump of mutated blueberries or something?
*Hugs*

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: July 25, 2011, 06:49:55 pm »

I gotta say this is a pretty great game.  I got a lady running about with a purse and a machete right now after only raiding a hardware store.  I also see I can make a chainsaw but need a motor. Anyone got any tips?
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: July 25, 2011, 06:50:26 pm »

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:09:09 pm by FunctionZero »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile