Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300570 times)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2970 on: July 25, 2011, 05:10:24 am »

Uh just found out that without backpack or other kind of container you can't board up windows cause you can't hold two two by four hammer and nails.  ???

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: July 25, 2011, 05:13:08 am »

I've noticed that sometimes when I hit a boomer with a melee weapon right next to me I am not covered in bile when it dies.

Wearing certain types of glasses stop boomers from actually blinding you (either that or it's just head protection). I've noticed a bionic which also does this but I cannot remember which one.
I have the mutated form of said bionic called the "Nictating Membrane" and I've been blinded by boomers regardless. Or maybe only the bionic version protects you from bile?

On a side note: It's ridiculous how quickly your items rust when swimming, it's Nethack/ADOM level.

Uh just found out that without backpack or other kind of container you can't board up windows cause you can't hold two two by four hammer and nails.  ???
They're going to change it so you can use items off the floor as well.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: July 25, 2011, 08:09:39 am »

Some suggestions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Last thing, I noticed that the order you place weapon mods in has a minor effect on the weapon's stats. I have an M4A1 with a Battle rifle conversion, .22 caliber retool, barrel extension, and a gyroscopic stabilizer. If I place the stabilizer before everything else, it can hold 33 bullets instead of 32.

Good suggestions, I approve.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: July 25, 2011, 09:15:14 am »

Some suggestions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Last thing, I noticed that the order you place weapon mods in has a minor effect on the weapon's stats. I have an M4A1 with a Battle rifle conversion, .22 caliber retool, barrel extension, and a gyroscopic stabilizer. If I place the stabilizer before everything else, it can hold 33 bullets instead of 32.

Some very good suggestions there, and good point on the gun mods--I'll look into that.  Look for some of your suggestions to be implemented soon(ish).

I've noticed that sometimes when I hit a boomer with a melee weapon right next to me I am not covered in bile when it dies.

Wearing certain types of glasses stop boomers from actually blinding you (either that or it's just head protection). I've noticed a bionic which also does this but I cannot remember which one.
I have the mutated form of said bionic called the "Nictating Membrane" and I've been blinded by boomers regardless. Or maybe only the bionic version protects you from bile?

On a side note: It's ridiculous how quickly your items rust when swimming, it's Nethack/ADOM level.

Nictating membrane only provides underwater sight, it doesn't protect your eyes from blinding.  Good point on the rusting (wait, items rust?  I forget even coding that  :-[)

Just pushed another mini-update to git.
Note: This update breaks save compatibility, so delete your save folder.  It also requires a clean build.

The biggest new feature here is break-in alarms.  The majority of banks and police stations you will encounter have break-in alarms, tripped if you shoot out or smash the windows or doors of the building.  If you trip the alarm, you will be "wanted" for half an hour.  While you are "wanted," eyebots will patrol the skies, and will swoop down upon you occasionally, attempting to photograph you.  If they succeed before you blow them away, your location will be fixed and police robots will be deployed to apprehend you.  To evade your trackers, stay on the move (it takes a while between being photographed and the arrival of robocops, and if you move quickly enough they'll be too late) and shoot or otherwise destroy eyebots before they snag your photo.

Note that zombies smashing down alarmed doors or windows will NOT set off the alarm.  This is mostly because it feels unfair to have a somewhat-inevitable action bring down penalties on the player; the side effect is that one can trick zombies into breaking into a bank for them.  Not sure how I feel about that, but it seems pretty cool I guess.

Not only does this make gaining entrance to banks and police stations more difficult (and crowbars more valuable, as they presently do not trip the alarm--this may be changed), it also helps give the player a slightly better picture of the world pre-apocalypse; one with a slightly Orwellian surveillance/police state.  In the future I may flesh this out further by making select police stations entrances to underground "dungeons" (much as Labs are now).

Features list:
  • Break-in alarms on windows, doors, and glass walls
  • Alarms set off by a failed hacking attempt initiate police tracking
  • Made hacking harder, and reduced Intelligence's effect on hacking success
  • Eyebots' "photograph" function now actually does something
  • Eyebots no longer explode upon death.
  • New monster: Copbot--attacks with truncheon and tazer, makes a lot of noise
  • Reduced physical damage when failing to install bionics
  • Updated events system

Bug fixes:
  • Non-melee-attacking monsters will no longer move into the player's square
  • NPCs (still disabled, but I'm working on them!) no longer flee from everything
  • NPCs no longer drop items--the cause of many a bug

The next mini-update will feature a lot of user-created content and suggestions.  Look for it in a few days.  Construction update in a couple weeks.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: July 25, 2011, 09:17:37 am »

Roboco- WHAAAAAT?

Also, when is the windows version gonna get updated?

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: July 25, 2011, 09:22:22 am »

Are alarms in shops and such, or are they everywhere?

NINJAEDIT: Also, woo. 200.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: July 25, 2011, 09:26:26 am »

Roboco- WHAAAAAT?

Also, when is the windows version gonna get updated?

Your move, creep.
But these robot-deployed cops have no resemblance to a certain late-80s android beyond the fact that they are police-deployed robots.

WIndows version is updated whenever Head puts in his time and effort--thanks as always to him for providing this service.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: July 25, 2011, 09:27:22 am »

Are alarms in shops and such, or are they everywhere?

NINJAEDIT: Also, woo. 200.

Right now they are limited to police stations and banks.  This may be expanded to gun shops in the future, and maybe other shops.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2978 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:00 am »

Robocops? Seems a bit out of setting, but...
Shouldn't there be a small bay in each of the alarmed buildings where various police bots, like only 3-4 would be stored and dispatched from if the eyebot sees you? In which case, you could hack into said bay with enough computers skill, and either hack up the inactive bots or use even higher computer skills to hack them in the less physical sense? Because really, robots spawning like zombies would sounds a bit unfair and out of place, especially seeing as robots would be a really limited resource even in the decades future.
Just as well, robots have to be stored somewhere while they're off, right? Just as well, they being fairly limited in number shouldn't mean too much for how noisy killing things made of metal would be.
I wonder though, do they attack zombies? Or even take pictures of?

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:53 am »

COPBOTS F*CK YEEEEEEAH!
I absolutely love that!

EDIT: Out of setting? With the nukes and the implants? You must be jesting sir.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: July 25, 2011, 09:35:02 am »

Shouldn't there be a small bay in each of the alarmed buildings where various police bots, like only 3-4 would be stored and dispatched from if the eyebot sees you? In which case, you could hack into said bay with enough computers skill, and either hack up the inactive bots or use even higher computer skills to hack them in the less physical sense? Because really, robots spawning like zombies would sounds a bit unfair and out of place, especially seeing as robots would be a really limited resource even in the decades future.
Just as well, robots have to be stored somewhere while they're off, right? Just as well, they being fairly limited in number shouldn't mean too much for how noisy killing things made of metal would be.

They spawn in a very different way, actually.  During a half-hour "wanted" period you're likely to see only three eyebots or so, and each photograph calls in but a single copbot.
And yes, a storage and deployment facility would definitely be ideal--hopefully something I can merge into expanded police stations in the future.  At the very least, I'd like to allow the player to use a computer in a police station to call off any searches for them--this may be added very soon.

Police-deployed robots are designed to identify and pursue only living humans flagged as law-breakers.  Zombies are either identified as innocent civilians or are not identified as human at all.

EDIT: Regarding setting, the eyebots used in the game are not too different from the advanced drones being demo'd by some police forces in the US and UK in recent months.  I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine that by 20X6 they have seen widespread deployment, and fits in the setting with manhacks, laser weaponry, the schenanigans going on in labs, etc.  The terrestrial copbots are a little out, but also: cool.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:39:20 am by Whales »

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: July 25, 2011, 09:37:11 am »

I fail to see why would be out of setting. We already know the setting isn't a simple Zombie Apocalypse, seeing how diverse the world is.

We know the game is happening around 2050 onwards. Having police robots wouldn't be far fetched, in my opinion.

Also, does this mean we'll get EMP weapons? It is hard to kill a robot, made for combat.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: July 25, 2011, 09:39:27 am »

Also, does this mean we'll get EMP weapons? It is hard to kill a robot, made for combat.

Yes please.
Also robot hacking (building?) please.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: July 25, 2011, 09:40:04 am »

Even around 2050 I don't see robots being capable of doing massive damage or being extremely hard to destroy.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2984 on: July 25, 2011, 09:40:43 am »

I fail to see why would be out of setting. We already know the setting isn't a simple Zombie Apocalypse, seeing how diverse the world is.

We know the game is happening around 2050 onwards. Having police robots wouldn't be far fetched, in my opinion.

Of course, what will happen if robots where built with a Faraday cage for the circumstance?
Just as well, security robots aren't too far fetched for the time, it's having so many that is.
Just as well.
Even around 2050 I don't see robots being capable of doing massive damage or being extremely hard to destroy.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 777