Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300687 times)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2895 on: July 24, 2011, 04:53:48 pm »

Someone bestow upon me their knowledge.  How do you escape a horde of zombies. I get injured once and it becomes a spiral into slower movement, more damage, even slower movement, more damage. Even if I kill everything, healing supplies are too weak to heal all my wounds and I don't have enough food to wait it out.

Get some oxycodone. It only takes a couple of turns to kick in, and it's pretty strong.

If you are constantly getting caught by zombie hordes, try starting a character with fleetfooted and quick. Wear sneakers and a skirt, and always run away on hard surfaces, such as the road. With all those you should even be able to outrun zombie hulks.

I always play fleet-footed+quick+pain resistant
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: July 24, 2011, 05:01:33 pm »

I find the skirt to be a little exploitative. No reason it should make you go faster. And my realism crave makes me have guys not wear skirts, even if they are magical speed increasing ones.

I will try both speed perks, I usually get one. And thanks for the road tip.

However this leaves the question.... Does not getting the speed perks = death?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: July 24, 2011, 05:02:51 pm »

I find the skirt to be a little exploitative. No reason it should make you go faster. And my realism crave makes me have guys not wear skirts, even if they are magical speed increasing ones.

I will try both speed perks, I usually get one. And thanks for the road tip.

You're complaining about realism in a game full of zombies, triffids, teleportation portals, and more. This makes you sound /dumb/.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06:11 pm »

The skirt is a minuscule increase.  Whales broke it down a while ago, it's something like a 1% bonus for an otherwise unencumbered character.  Hulks will still almost certainly catch you if you're not a purpose-built sprint character.

Didn't know about roads being faster to run on than open ground though, since I've been wondering.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: July 24, 2011, 05:07:16 pm »

It's generally easier to run on a solid surface than on uneven or soft surface.

A lot worse for you too tho.
*Hugs*

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: July 24, 2011, 05:09:57 pm »

It's still perfectly possible to outrun everything but fast zombies, brutes, and hulks without either speed perks, but they do make it easier. There really isn't any good reason not to take them if you're going to play a run-n-gun character.

Didn't know about roads being faster to run on than open ground though, since I've been wondering.

If you read the fleet-footed description it mentions that it only gives you the speed boost when running on even ground. I didn't notice for my first deaths, and I started to wonder why a disproportionate number of my characters died in fields.

I don't think it does anything if you don't have that perk, though.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: July 24, 2011, 05:11:18 pm »

It's generally easier to run on a solid surface than on uneven or soft surface.

Well yeah, realistically of course.  I meant I didn't know if that was a thing in the game.  I've never noticed a difference, or the comment on the fleet-foot part.  I figured all flat terrain (i.e. roads and fields and floors) counted as even ground.

Anyway, you know what else is needed?  A way to dry off, and more respect for non-raincoats keeping you dry (that's exactly what trenchcoats are for).  Sure, being wet doesn't really do a whole lot, but it'd be nice.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: July 24, 2011, 05:12:46 pm »

Actually, roads are (presently) no faster to run on than dirt.  They're safer, though, due to certain monsters.

The skirt gives you a *tiny* speed bonus.  I forget the calculation I did, but you can run around 19 tiles in the time a cargo-pants-wearing character can run 18, or something similarly neligable.  The storage is much more beneficial, especially if you're a melee-oriented character and a backpack is a large setback.

I regularly play without the speed perks and escape from zombies just fine (without becoming a speed addict, too).  If I do it, so can you!

For Fleet-Footed, "even terrain" is anything that has a standard 100-point movement cost, including floor, asphalt, dirt, grass, etc (but not rubble, underbrush, etc).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: July 24, 2011, 05:15:08 pm »

Actually, roads are (presently) no faster to run on than dirt.  They're safer, though, due to certain monsters.

The skirt gives you a *tiny* speed bonus.  I forget the calculation I did, but you can run around 19 tiles in the time a cargo-pants-wearing character can run 18, or something similarly neligable.  The storage is much more beneficial, especially if you're a melee-oriented character and a backpack is a large setback.

I regularly play without the speed perks and escape from zombies just fine (without becoming a speed addict, too).  If I do it, so can you!

For Fleet-Footed, "even terrain" is anything that has a standard 100-point movement cost, including floor, asphalt, dirt, grass, etc (but not rubble, underbrush, etc).

Huh, guess the road thing was just my spectacular human talent for seeing a pattern where none exists. ???

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: July 24, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »

It's weird how you do not become wet when you swim :)

Also the pain should have more effect on the morale than being wet IMHO. There could even be a trait which negates the morale malus from the rain, I know two people who love getting wet under the rain and surfing; they don't feel uncomfortable when they surf in their shorts and sneakers.

By the way, shorts/boxers may be a nice male equivalent for a skirt, to stop dudes wearing skirts :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2905 on: July 24, 2011, 05:33:58 pm »

By the way, shorts/boxers may be a nice male equivalent for a skirt, to stop dudes wearing skirts :).
What's wrong with guys in skirts?

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: July 24, 2011, 05:43:11 pm »

It's a robe damnit!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: July 24, 2011, 05:57:56 pm »

Or a kilt, perhaps?  Or you're just a crossdresser, who knows.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: July 24, 2011, 06:13:44 pm »

fuck this game is hard.

10 kills. died on the first day. 1 rabbit, 8 zombies, and 1 quick zombies.

I died by electrocution, drowning AND mauling at the same time ¬.¬

Sounds like someone who needs to try my mod :P.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: July 24, 2011, 06:20:55 pm »

fuck this game is hard.

10 kills. died on the first day. 1 rabbit, 8 zombies, and 1 quick zombies.

I died by electrocution, drowning AND mauling at the same time ¬.¬

Sounds like someone who needs to try my mod :P.
what does your mod do? I guess it makes it harder the way you said it...

Yep. Makes it harder. Good for a challenge. Bad for a beginner.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 777