Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300669 times)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2775 on: July 23, 2011, 06:34:58 pm »

Really? Are there any items that can keep them from smelling me?

I assume zombie pheromone but I haven't checked the code to verify it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zombie Pheromone (click to show/hide)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: July 23, 2011, 06:37:31 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, I have found one of the auto off no error message game shutdown bugs, or at least how to re create it. On the windows version, after opening the character sheet then trying to open the inventory or map, the game simply crashes, no messages or anything. This can cause those inconvinent "time warps" that often delete good items you pick up.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: July 23, 2011, 07:09:56 pm »

That's been mentioned a few dozen times.
Never experienced it myself.
*Hugs*

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: July 23, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »

Does anyone know why when I quit or exit the game it makes the error message 50 times and then pops up saying the program has stopped responding, with a dos window (or something) saying

'clear' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

It's rather annoying.

Also, when is numpad enter going to be implemented, and when are we going to be able to disable cheat mode? =/

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: July 23, 2011, 07:17:39 pm »

Smoke of any kind and fire wll mask your scent.  Later tonight I'll make rain help mask it slightly.

That "clear" thing is a Windows bug.  I'll try to make it so it only runs on linux systems.

Numpad enter doesn't work on Windows?  Damn pdcurses.  Head might know how to fix that...
Ladies and gentlemen, I have found one of the auto off no error message game shutdown bugs, or at least how to re create it. On the windows version, after opening the character sheet then trying to open the inventory or map, the game simply crashes, no messages or anything. This can cause those inconvinent "time warps" that often delete good items you pick up.

Windows bug.  I think the solution is to run as admin or something, but I don't know how all that works.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: July 23, 2011, 08:48:53 pm »

Pretty sweet to know the creator is reading this ;)

I broke into a bank vault just recently using my 1337 h4x0r skillz, but it was sadly empty.  Also, I couldn't think of any way to use it as an impentrable fort that didn't involve locking myself inside a bank vault (not possible, anyway).  Could there be a terminal to open/close the door on the inside too?  I'm pretty sure it's standard in bank vaults due to the high possibility of people getting locked in forevar.

I found a portal generator, but the shimmering portals it generated didn't seem to do anything.  I tried putting them in between me and monsters to no effect, and I stepped in them a few times myself.  Using 'e'xamine on them lets you try to disarm the 'trap', which is a bit weird.

It would be nice to not have the 'too many items' restriction.  I'm already juggling weight and volume, and although I can understand the concept of a)not enough letters for 50+ items and b)it's pretty impractical to carry 50+ items even with a backpack...it can make it kind of annoying to do some of the clothing recipes particularly, having to drop practically everything to pick up the 20+ rags.  It got really irritating on some characters where I had a bunch of meds or small pieces of whatever and had 30+ volume and 100+ weight to spare, but couldn't pick up an apple to save my life (note: I did not actually die due to being unable to pick up an apple, but I could see something similar happening).

A minor thing:  maybe 'a'pplying an MP3 player or similar battery charged thing could give you the option to recharge it?  At the moment recharging my mp3 player is a little tedious - drop weapon, wield mp3 player, reload mp3 player, wield nothing, pick up weapon.

Another minor thing:  Perhaps the "'e'xamine a gas pump" dialogue should go more like this:  "Pump Gas? Y/N" Y "Do you want to fill a container with gasoline? Y/N" N "You pour gasoline on the ground."  It seems minor, but I didn't even realise you could fill up various containers with gasoline for a long time - I just kept on pouring it on the ground instead.

A possible 'fix' for 'too many items':  If possible, maybe make common small things stackable?  I don't /really/ need a dedicated keyboard shortcut for every one of my fifteen rags.  Maybe just 'r - rags x 15'?  Really, the only things that /need/ independent keys are the ones that can actually vary within the item type.  Drink and food that aren't multiple-use are all identical, so they could stack.  If things like potato chips and jerky were one use, they could stack.
If it wasn't a coding nightmare, you could even just add things like meds together - a box of 17 caffeine pills and a box of 20 caffeine pills = one item with 37 caffeine pills.  Make it so the volume/weight increased by a box worth for every 20 and it would still take up the same amount of space without taking up so many keys.

e.g - 11 caffeine pills = volume 1, weight 1.  20 caffeine pills = volume 1, weight 1.  21 caffeine pills = volume 2, weight 2.  40 caffeine pills = volume 2, weight 2.  And so on.

As always, I am completely ignorant of the sort of coding and work that goes into a game of this sort, having given up C++ and games coding loooong ago.  If any of my suggestions are wildly impractical or would require massive overhaul, by all means, ignore them ;).

Love the game, it makes for some great times.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: July 23, 2011, 08:59:43 pm »

The thing about staying inside a vault is, you know bank vaults are generally air-tight. Meaning if you locked yourself in you would die after a few minutes due to a lack of any air.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: July 23, 2011, 09:17:15 pm »

Air tight doesn't mean that as soon as the door is closed all the air is sucked away. You'd die after hours, not minutes (depending on the size of the vault).

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: July 23, 2011, 09:22:25 pm »

Erendor, pretty much everything you've mentioned is on the todo list. If you want to see it faster, through it in yourself and I'm sure Whales will be happy to merge. ^_^

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: July 23, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »

Hum dunno if this is on the to-do list but being able to close lab's main doors from the inside would be nice.   Makes it a viable lock-away spot you know?
edit*Just got struck by lightening while sleeping underground.  Bug?
Nom nom nom

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: July 23, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »

Hum dunno if this is on the to-do list but being able to close lab's main doors from the inside would be nice.   Makes it a viable lock-away spot you know?

Perhaps... too viable.  And it raises the possibility of the player getting locked inside (as does an interior control for bank vaults), which isn't good.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: July 23, 2011, 09:57:44 pm »

Looks like Whales finally got himself an avatar :D
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: July 23, 2011, 10:08:34 pm »

Looks like Whales finally got himself an avatar :D

I tried using my github one a while back but the forums rejected it for some reason.  For now it'll be a daily selection from the results of a google image search for "whales logo"! :D

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2788 on: July 23, 2011, 10:13:18 pm »

Perhaps... too viable.  And it raises the possibility of the player getting locked inside (as does an interior control for bank vaults), which isn't good.
A couple of ways this can be balanced, make the interior vault controls require a higher computers skill to function, make vault doors breakable if enough zombies are bashing at it for long enough periods of time, make zombies more attracted to spots where players stay idle for too long (Would be a nice way to emulate body waste without actually putting it in the game.), and for when npcs are brought back in, make bandit humans that instead of waking you and robbing you, they'll just take all your stuff, and rob you if you wake up. Since the bandits can get into vaults via control panels, a nice behavior to consider, they'd be able to get to you, then leave you behind with the doors open.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: July 23, 2011, 10:27:48 pm »

Bloody fuck!

I just installed(patched, pretty much) the newest windows version from the Cataclysm forum and my first new game, I get practically NO useful gear, can't find weapons for shit, and immediately get raped by a group of 5-6 zombies upon walking to the second house on my block.

Woo for difficulty!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 777