Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1300475 times)

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2655 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:21 pm »

Maybe books teach up to level 5 and NPCs teach above that?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2656 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:33 pm »

There's nothing inherently wrong with adding tile support. Don't be all TROLOLOLO Rougelike elitist you guys.

Burn the heretic!

on a more serious note, Just how rare are those combat books? I've only seen knife techniques, wrestling, and just once, a single guns n ammo.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: July 22, 2011, 03:51:33 pm »

Books for combat skills don't make too much sense in my mind.  Getting to level 1 or 2, maybe, but with combat there's nothing like applied learning.  Existing combat books include knife (lvl 1-4), unarmed (lvl 0-2? 3?), and guns (lvl 0-1).  Level 4-5 gun might come later; you cannot become a decent shot just by reading theory, but you can go from good shot to well-honed by reading about advanced technique.

NPCs who can train you in combat are planned, but obviously will come later.

By the way, i'd like to name the skill levels; say, for Electronics you might go 1 = Tinkerer, 2 = Circuit-Bender, 3 = Hobbyist, 4 = Electrician, etc.  Later this could be used in dialogue ("Oh!  I can defuse that bomb!  I'm... a hobbyist!").  If anyone wants to write some up, I can code it in real quick.

365-day years would be a bit ridiculous.  A day is 14400 turns--nethack, for comparison, is routinely won within 200,000 turns, or like 14 cataclysm days.  I want the player to experience seasons without playing the same character for a month or two real-time.  Even 30 day seasons seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:00:36 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: July 22, 2011, 03:53:44 pm »

This game is excellent, I finally managed to climb up the learning curve of long-term survival. Last night I had a few hard lessons pounded into my skull which helped tremendously in later games. Differentiating between a "safe" house and a "stash" house is very important. I made the mistake of relaxing in a home with no windowless rooms and no barricaded windows.. near a forest edge full of fungaloids. I had tons of wooden spears so I went hunting, but I soon discovered that the spears (or perhaps all cutting weapons?) just get stuck in them. So I dragged myself back home due to not having a bashing weapon and I was hurting badly.. it was pretty late and I decided to sleep. On a bed right next to a large window.. which wasn't barricaded. A storm woke me up plenty of times during the night, but eventually a sound of breaking glass woke me up, and right after that I realized that the door was being bashed in as well. I was surrounded. I tried to fight them in the window but there were just so many spilling in, including a few skeletons..
The door broke down and a shrieker crawled in with his zombie posse. I dove out of the window (taking a ton of damage on the way out) and I landed right next to a necromancer. First time I had ever seen one, it's like he was orchestrating the entire siege. A few points away from death I hobbled down to a gas station. Figured I'd take them out with me. But before I could reach a pump my ribs were crushed in by a brute.

It was brutal. Lesson(s) learned.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: July 22, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »

Would be useful to show the experience/percentage of a skill if you aren't level one yet. I want to know how many antennas I need to make to progress my mech skill.
(I can't read so that seems to be the only option).

fakedit: 2xninjad, I agree a 90day season is probably too long, but it would be weird if snow would come and go in just a week. 30 days seems to be the best option than.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2660 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:16 pm »

I would advise tying season to the world, not the character. also make the season random upon world creation.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:57 pm »

Antennae don't improve any skill when you make them. You have to read a mechanics manual like Under the Hood to increase it.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2662 on: July 22, 2011, 03:58:32 pm »

Yeah. Illiteracy hurts.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: July 22, 2011, 04:00:32 pm »

I mean gun manuals, karate training books, weapons training books are real things in this world.

And they are all real things in the game as well, I've found skill books for pretty much every skill but dodging, to be honest. The thing is, its assumed most of the more valuable ones have been looted already, so they are kind of rare. And I don't think any of them can get your skill above... 5, I think?
There most certainly is not, there is two combat training books, spetznaz knife techniques (1-4, pretty good layout for training since you need level 1 to start) and a magazine called guns n ammo(trains ranged I think to level 1)  There is no bashing books, no plain melee books, no mid-hig level guns books, and no throwing books what-so-ever
Nom nom nom

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: July 22, 2011, 04:03:06 pm »

Whales can you please explain this:

case room_bathroom:
  m->ter(x2 - 1, y2 - 1) = t_toilet;
  m->place_items(mi_harddrugs, 18, x1 + 1, y1 + 1, x2 - 1, y2 - 2, false, 0);
  m->place_items(mi_cleaning,  48, x1 + 1, y1 + 1, x2 - 1, y2 - 2, false, 0);
  placed = mi_softdrugs;
  chance = 72;
  break;

I want to tweak the number of items houses have.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:24:41 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Sir Moops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: July 22, 2011, 04:05:16 pm »

I have to say that I like the 14 day system. It's not like the days are short like in other games and it let's every player experience the seasons without putting massive amount of time in one character.

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: July 22, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »

I would advise tying season to the world, not the character. also make the season random upon world creation.

This

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: July 22, 2011, 04:13:32 pm »

Why does this have to be the one section of the code with no notes? =(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:25:19 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: July 22, 2011, 04:20:15 pm »

Learning how best to attack a zombie with a crowbar.

In that case, I'd call Gordon Freeman as a trainer.

365-day years would be a bit ridiculous.  A day is 14400 turns--nethack, for comparison, is routinely won within 200,000 turns, or like 14 cataclysm days.  I want the player to experience seasons without playing the same character for a month or two real-time.  Even 30 day seasons seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Since the setting of the game is a post apocalyptic world, you could pretend that seasons are messed up due to nuclear fallouts or things like that. So, there may be a hot season followed by an extremely cold one. Heck, you can even call them with different names invented by you!

Cyahnidde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: July 22, 2011, 04:24:26 pm »

Finally was able to try it as I said in the first post.
First time I played I had two dogs following me, and I was just walking around and I saw corpses all over the ground. I was stupid and decided to follow the trail. A zombie showed up, and i wanted to fight it. A dog jumped in front of me before I could reach the zombie. It was dead in the matter of a second. (so sad. It sacrificed itself for me! D:) Me and the other dog ran for out lives, then I stepped into a hazy cloud. I had no clue what happened, but "Game Over" appeared on my screen.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 777