Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299666 times)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2115 on: July 19, 2011, 07:25:30 pm »

For Windows, just follow the instructions found here.

Head told me that it is a lot easier to use Code::Blocks to compile it though, so installing that afterwards and opening the project file inside the source folder (that is assuming it created all the correct file associations) will allow you to edit the code and compile it.

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 19, 2011, 07:25:50 pm »

that doesn't go well with my lazyness...

wow, this was your first big project Whales? I always though that any game dev would fail hard on a dozen projects before making something this big. but people even applaud your code. you just inspired me a little...

The reason I didn't fail hard was I started small, very small.  Cataclysm v 0.0.1 was an @ walking around a screen full of dots.  v 0.0.2 had walls--but they didn't block your view.  v 0.0.3 had walls that blocked your view, and a rock you could pick up.  And so on...
If you're interested in making a game, of any kind, my recommendation would be to start with the simplest possible version of that game (making RISK? start with an empty board that does nothing.  Making a FPS?  Start with walking around an empty box), and slowly add features individually.  It takes longer, but you won't fail and you can solve problems as they crop up.

that is exactly how I think one should start too. Been following some new games, and I see that kind of slow paced development too on Survivors of Ragnarok. Each version it's just a really simple thing, like eating, or chopping a tree.

I wanted to try some roguelike game, cause I think I know how things are done code-wise. Except for world generation. In DF, Cataclysm, Rogue Survivor, Minecraft, Terraria and any other game with that, I just don't understand how it is done. Could you just very basically explain your method?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 19, 2011, 07:34:15 pm »

Is it just me, or is the Windows source uncompilable?

I seem to be missing curses.h, anyone knows what to do with that?

Fakeedit:
It's also absent from the Linux source, so ...

Also, here's the error MinGW throws at me:

Code: [Select]
$ make
mkdir obj
g++  -g -c bionics.cpp -o obj/bionics.o
In file included from itype.h:6:0,
                 from item.h:6,
                 from player.h:4,
                 from bionics.cpp:1:
color.h:4:20: fatal error: curses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [obj/bionics.o] Error 1
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:36:46 pm by FunctionZero »

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 19, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »

You need pdcurses and then
5. go to your minggw install directory and put the pdcurses.lib from the zip into the mingw/lib, put the pdcurses.dll in the mingw/bin and put the remaining .h in the mingw/includes

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 19, 2011, 07:40:54 pm »

that doesn't go well with my lazyness...

wow, this was your first big project Whales? I always though that any game dev would fail hard on a dozen projects before making something this big. but people even applaud your code. you just inspired me a little...

The reason I didn't fail hard was I started small, very small.  Cataclysm v 0.0.1 was an @ walking around a screen full of dots.  v 0.0.2 had walls--but they didn't block your view.  v 0.0.3 had walls that blocked your view, and a rock you could pick up.  And so on...
If you're interested in making a game, of any kind, my recommendation would be to start with the simplest possible version of that game (making RISK? start with an empty board that does nothing.  Making a FPS?  Start with walking around an empty box), and slowly add features individually.  It takes longer, but you won't fail and you can solve problems as they crop up.

that is exactly how I think one should start too. Been following some new games, and I see that kind of slow paced development too on Survivors of Ragnarok. Each version it's just a really simple thing, like eating, or chopping a tree.

I wanted to try some roguelike game, cause I think I know how things are done code-wise. Except for world generation. In DF, Cataclysm, Rogue Survivor, Minecraft, Terraria and any other game with that, I just don't understand how it is done. Could you just very basically explain your method?

Gladly.  There's two basic concepts for map generation; the overmap, and the local map (or just "map" in the code).
The overmap is 180x180 tiles, each of which is a character in the 'm' screen--things like road, house, forest, etc.  This map's generation is detailed in overmap.cpp.  Basically, for the first overmap, the one you start in, it starts just a fields; then forests are randomly "scribbled" in.  A river is added, connecting two randomly-chosen points on the edges of the map.  Several cities are then added--it starts with a crossroads tile ("+" roads), and in each direction it draws a street.  Drawing a street involves going straight for a while, and on either side placing a building, or possibly another street--it's a recursive function.  Finally, all the existing cities are connected by roads, and extra stuff is added--behives in forests, labs, missile silos, etc.
When you step off the overmap, a new one is generated; it takes a look at the adjacent, existing overmaps, looking for river edges and roads, and connects them intelligently.

The local map is basically a 3D treadmill--only a few overmap tiles are kept in memory at any given time, and if you move off the current one--say to the north--everything gets shifted south, and new data is pulled in to the north--from a file if one exists, or generated fresh if it's unexplored terrain.

Is it just me, or is the Windows source uncompilable?

I seem to be missing curses.h, anyone knows what to do with that?

Fakeedit:
It's also absent from the Linux source, so ...

Also, here's the error MinGW throws at me:

Code: [Select]
$ make
mkdir obj
g++  -g -c bionics.cpp -o obj/bionics.o
In file included from itype.h:6:0,
                 from item.h:6,
                 from player.h:4,
                 from bionics.cpp:1:
color.h:4:20: fatal error: curses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [obj/bionics.o] Error 1

curses.h is not part of cataclysm, it's the ncurses library (or pdcurses, on Windows).  I'd suggest googling pdcurses--as for using it, I have no clue how, but I'm sure head does.
On Ubuntu, to get ncurses, just type "sudo apt-get install libncurses-dev" (none of that tedious googling and downloading from unverified sources!)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 19, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »

I really recommend anyone wanting to mod this to stick with the linux version on a spare computer or Virtual box. Compiling on windows is always a headache and because of some of the new drawing code it's so much less stable. Really the difference in stability is massive. I have never had the linux version crash on me.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 19, 2011, 08:17:23 pm »

oh, I see. that crossroad start for cities never CROSSed my mind.

maybe I'll try doing something, it's a shame that i'm really only good in visual basic... and learning c++ when I could be playing cataclysm... thats a difficult choice =P

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »

Start a thread in "creative projects" about it and I'll sign up to help. I'm very good at writng c++ and debugging. I also know openGL quite well.

Done! Darkseed:Asphyxia & Blade of Arkhan'a post is up :)

Also,

shameless bump of awesomeness for Cataclysm!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:37 pm »

Hm, you can gain infinite throwing skill by throwing items against the wall, you'll still need XP though.
I went up 5 points in throwing by repeatedly tossing one use of marijuana against the wall after smoking the other 14.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 19, 2011, 08:22:43 pm »

Hm, you can gain infinite throwing skill by throwing items against the wall, you'll still need XP though.
I went up 5 points in throwing by repeatedly tossing one use of marijuana against the wall after smoking the other 14.

I'm not sure if that's a waste of good weed, or a stroke of pure genius.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: July 19, 2011, 08:24:40 pm »

Finally managed to compile it under Windows. Head forgot to mention you also need to link SDL libs to compile.
Well, as soon as Ubuntu downloads so I can properly test and document the compiling there, it's off to actually writing how to mod.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 19, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »

I have the windows version and I can't even get past the first day without the game closing out on me. What causes it is completely random, no error messages, it just closes.

I don't even know what to post to give a clue as to why it's happening either.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: July 19, 2011, 08:39:04 pm »

I have the windows version and I can't even get past the first day without the game closing out on me. What causes it is completely random, no error messages, it just closes.

I don't even know what to post to give a clue as to why it's happening either.
Try the earlier versions. If those work better, then we at least know it's something with 1.0.8.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 19, 2011, 08:40:30 pm »

Same with 1.0.7, but I guess I will try earlier ones too.

Wait, isn't it 1.3.7/8?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 19, 2011, 08:41:35 pm »

I play on windows and I get random freezes/crashes for no apparent reason, I had one where I was hitting Q, W, E, etc. to check what each button does and I got a 'debug radio tower 5 ' message or some such, then it opened a dialogue with some Wendy woman and I offered her to join me, she said no, I went into trading and wanted to trade some cocaine for her food then it froze.

I've had freezes other times for no apparent reason as well, but then I played for a while without incident before dying.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 777