Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299546 times)

KimeK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2055 on: July 19, 2011, 02:02:31 pm »

this game is so awesome! I hope NPCs are re-added soon!
One question, do beds have any effect on sleep?

also, I just pressed ESC to close a menu and the game closed without any error. When I reloaded I was still on the same road, so I kept going. Then I had a big deja vu when I saw piles of wreckage on the road, and both the jeans and shirt I've left on the floor minutes before (trading it for a kevlar and military pants). Then I checked my inventory and I still had THAT SAME shirt and jeans.
So the game has time warp too? cool!

jk, but it's weird that the world saves at a different time as the character. it should be changed. the kevlar and pants that I had disappeared forever (luckily there were more).

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: July 19, 2011, 02:28:49 pm »

Hey what do you use experience for, I've got like 5000 (found a bunch of whiskey and marijuana) so I really need to be able to spend it on something.
Nom nom nom

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: July 19, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »

When you pick stuff up it saves the game world so it knows it's no longer in the world but on your character now. However, it does not save your character, so if you happen to crash or exit then the stuff on your character is reverted to the last save.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: July 19, 2011, 02:33:29 pm »

Hey what do you use experience for, I've got like 5000 (found a bunch of whiskey and marijuana) so I really need to be able to spend it on something.
It's automatically used as you progress in skills. No experience, and your skills will be stagnant, no matter how much you use them.

Usually, you'll have tons of excess XP in late game.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: July 19, 2011, 03:05:40 pm »

Unless you play shizophrenic characters with mood swings like I love to do :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: July 19, 2011, 03:29:24 pm »

From player::can_sleep, they only have an effect on the chance to fall asleep, i think it is like:
(if you are not tired and/or have not taken any stimulants, insomia, etc)
8/16% on for sleeping on soil
9/16% on floor
13/16% on bed.

...and sleeping is a disease.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 19, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »

Well downloaded the new game and now crash in the tutorial, after I press space to exit out of the text screens. There is no specific screen that causes this. Hopefully this doesn't affect the actual game.

EDIT: Another crash, no error messages and happened after I tried to open my inventory after coming out of the "@" screen. Don't know if it is repeatable.

I find it hard to believe people are getting through the first day without crashing  >:(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:51:21 pm by Micro102 »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 19, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »

Anybody else pumped some gasoline on the floor and then lit it on fire? I just expected it to cause a small fire, but instead the whole house burned up.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 19, 2011, 03:57:49 pm »

I've crashed just by walking down the street.

I pumped the gas from the tutorial on the ground and lit it on fire =3

EDIT: oh shit, backspace works with the new build

EDIT2: Whenever I save or quit the game it gives me 'the program has stopped working' for some reason. it wasn't doing this when I first installed it. There' also a little DOS window that says 'clear' is not recognized and an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:12:17 pm by OzyTheSage »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 19, 2011, 04:03:02 pm »

Pro tip: When exploring the science lab, always open the doors diagonally.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 19, 2011, 04:05:55 pm »

-Just a little bug report (latest git on linux), I unloaded a radio and it gave me...several stacks of .44 ammo. I wanted the batteries...
Same problem here, already reported several times I believe.

Same here, only it gave me bolts cause i was using an xbow.
if someone can reproduce the bug in a few steps of wishing, i can try to hunt it down.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:08:53 pm by monkey »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 19, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »

monkey, I spent like 3 hours trying to hunt down that bug. The unloading code is weird. Good luck, though!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:22 pm »

Just had my first trans town swamp experience. "theres no zombies around here, im so far from the city!"  BAMMOTHERFUCKGIANTCENTIPEDE MOSQUITO TOAD ATTACK. I died quickly.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: July 19, 2011, 05:15:32 pm »

I broke into a neighbor's house, and inside I found girl's clothes, reading glasses, and a book entitled Self-Esteem for Dummies.
I dunno, but I think I found the home of the most socially-repressed nerdgirl ever. Awesome.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 19, 2011, 05:39:17 pm »

Been playing the game for a few days, I am quite impressed.
I specially love the item system, it's terribly deep and interesting. Plenty of "interesting junk" as well, and over-the-top "fun" (not "Fun" as in DF's Fun) items. It's fresh after so many roguelike developers decided to be strictly realist or medieval to add a few implants.
The terrain generator is also splendid. I always wanted to see procedural generation applied to towns instead of medieval castles and other fantasy clichés. The houses make sense (except for the lack of furniture), the town placement makes sense, and I love that enemy deployment system. I hope you don't mind if I adapt my own algorithm to match yours a little bit :P

I am missing or wondering about a few things:
-I am having a severe issue procuring water. Is there anything else out of drinking from a toilet? Can I purify that water? (Water boiling is possible?)

-Or even better, how about taking the water from the water canister of the toilet instead of from the bottom with all the disease? :P

-If there isn't, there should be a way to procure rain water or from condensation that isn't bionic-only. (Rain collectors might spoil your water if acid rain comes, too, so they wouldn't be almighty)

-Is it possible to put items on a container? Are there container tiles such as chests (modern ones of course, not treasure chests :P) or just shelves/wardrobes?

-Is it possible to push shelves or wardrobes? Some of the generated terrain does contain doors blocked by beds or wardrobes, or is it merely coincidental? If not, would be a fancy thing to do, and would make sense (specially when more furniture comes in)

-Just a little bug report (latest git on linux), I unloaded a radio and it gave me...several stacks of .44 ammo. I wanted the batteries...

-I actually love the "alone vs the zombie world" theme of the game as it is now...will it be possible to simulate the current behavior in later stages of the game's development? Perhaps a generation option? On that matter, will it be possible to have any input on world generation later on? Or, at least, will it be possible to disable NPCs voluntarily?
(The reasoning of the later is, as others survival games showcase, human NPCs can be terribly overpowered, annoying or make the game extremely unfair (to the player), or if you work with them, they are just bait, or you need to babysit them, or make survival by resources impossible for two...so there are times I would have them, times I wouldn't.) What's your opinion on this?

-Will it be possible to use some sort of generator to power a fridge so you can keep food fresh for longer?

-Is it possible to build fences, or only boarding is allowed? Will it be possible sometime?

-A suggestion for defects: Narcoleptic, which can make you fall asleep while waiting and sleeping is less refreshing (don't fall in the hollywood cliché of narcolepsy being falling asleep while walking or fighting or such. It doesn't work that way (but does with driving, so if it's going to be implemented...))

-Dreams? Nightmares? Might be interesting small morale (+-5?) bonuses/penalties.

-Pr*ngles cans so we can make cantennas! It's a classic low-budget DYI thing.

-When furniture comes into play, how about gas burners in kitchens? Can be a replacement for hotplates. Portable gas burners also exist IRL, and might double as bashing weapon or explosive :P How about making a mini-burner with alcohol, a can and string?

-Portable consoles can be a stupid addition, but can be fun too. They can be addictive xD Maybe you can have them check the amount of hand encumbrance so playing with your hands fully covered actually gives a morale penalty.

-How about an alarm item? That way sleep schedules can be controlled. (Unless they already exist)

-Would it be possible to have notes around the game? They are a staple of survival horror, and can be interesting in the shared server, where players will leave notes around. Random generation can also work, you should be able to write a "apocalyptic log" generator in no time, using references to locations and items around the area where the note is generated. It might require "writing" items though. Also, it's a way to make literacy matter more. You can also have them point to stashes or even stuff like safe combinations if they are going to exist.

Glad you're enjoying it!  All my code is open-source (of course) and I'd be thrilled if you used some ideas I've had (and even more thrilled if you did a better job than me ;) )

Building fences is a good idea.  A near-future update will include lots more building options, and I'll make sure fences is one of them.

Narcolepsy is a good idea, but yes, would be kind of tricky to balance to make sure that the player doesn't fall asleep when danger is imminent.  I'll start thinking about just how I'd do that.  Dreams and nightmares, too!  Probably more the latter than the former, since your character is probably a little on-edge.

Cantennas are an awesome idea, as are gas-powered burners as an alternative to the battery-powered one.  Alarm clocks are a good idea as well.  TODO'd

Portable consoles are kind of planned, especially once I drop this computer update.  Down the road a bit, though.

Leaving notes is an interesting thought; however, the sheer size of the game world means that it'd be a bit like finding a needle in a haystack (heck, even on the server, just finding a dead body isn't THAT common, right?)  I'm planning to add your personal map to your corpse-drop (so that players finding it can get the benefit of your exploration, AND any notes you left on your map--e.g. "ammo stash here").  Maybe I'll toss in an auto-generated journal that can be read by players who find your remains?

On the subject of NPCs:
Going into this, I knew that NPCs had the potential to be overpowered in two ways--first, it is exceptionally easy for one to kill you with a shotgun.  I didn't want to go the FPS route and make damage from guns reduced by 90% when they hit the player, so it's an issue.  Second, a player who wants to could use NPCs as "item pinatas," rather than the allies (or albatrosses) they're intended as.  To combat both of these, I decided that killing an NPC should be a big penalty, strong enough to make the player want to avoid it--and that NPCs should view killing the player as undesirable as well.  This is why most NPCs, when hostile, will simply seek to mug the player rather than shoot you and take your stuff.
Currently, NPCs make pretty decent allies.  If they're a good shot, they'll take out zombies quite quickly; however, they're ignorant of the zombie-attracting nature of firearms.  This is issue 1.  Issue 2 is that there's no system in place for dividing up loot; it's basically "who gets there first" when desirable items on the floor are concerned.  Otherwise, there's no great need to babysit NPCs; occasionally they'll get in trouble with monsters and you'll need to save them, but they'll try to save you if you're in trouble too (though this behavior could use some improvement).  They're also smart enough to know when there's a risk of friendly fire; the "acceptable" level of risk is dependant on the individual NPC's personality, but generally they'll tell you to move, or try to navigate so they can get a clean shot.
"Useless" NPCs like children or the badly-injured are vaguely planned as a part of the mission system ("Find and retrieve my child," "I can't walk--carry me to safety" etc.).  Family members are planned as well (My half-coded default starting mission is "Find your brother"), with the expected penalties should they die.

Overconfidence got me killed. I suddenly grew tired in-game and took a nap in the safe house instead than in the basement. What can happen? It's full of traps and all boarded and nice, and I got inconspicuous trait.
My house burned, with me on it.

I guess it wasn't a good idea to burn those zombie corpses near my doorway.  ::)

Fires within a few tiles of your house generally aren't a good idea--especially as zombies may stumble through the fire, get lit themselves, die, and drop the books they were carrying right at your doorstep.  That said, I'm aware that walls seem to be made of pine needles right now and fire spreads too quickly.  This will be toned down soon.

Where can I get nails, mutations or bionics?

Nails have been added to the new "home hardware" item generation group, which occasionally will be placed in your house somewhere.  They're much easier to obtain this way.

Using a skill puts XP into that skill.  I am also planning to let the player use large amounts of XP (on the order of thousands or tens of thousands) to improve their stats, craft an artifact, take a new trait, etc.

From player::can_sleep, they only have an effect on the chance to fall asleep, i think it is like:
(if you are not tired and/or have not taken any stimulants, insomia, etc)
8/16% on for sleeping on soil
9/16% on floor
13/16% on bed.

...and sleeping is a disease.

Thanks for code-diving!  This is accurate as far as I remember.  Generally you won't need the extra help from a bed unless you're an insomniac, not very tired, coked up, etc.

Sleeping is a disease, yes--this is a result of poorly-chosen variable/function names on my part.  When I created "diseases" it was intended to be used for just that--common cold, flu, fungitis, etc.  Then I realized that the same system would work great for things like boomer-blindness, being on fire... and even beneficial things, like sleeping, having painkillers in your system, etc.  Maybe one day I'll rename it to "temp_effect" or something.

monkey, I spent like 3 hours trying to hunt down that bug. The unloading code is weird. Good luck, though!

I believe I have fixed this bug, and it'll get pushed to git as soon as I can do such a thing.

Just had my first trans town swamp experience. "theres no zombies around here, im so far from the city!"  BAMMOTHERFUCKGIANTCENTIPEDE MOSQUITO TOAD ATTACK. I died quickly.

Yes, swamps are deadly--perhaps too much so.  Mosquitos are a pretty good reason to keep a shotgun handy ;)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 777