Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299578 times)

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #2010 on: July 19, 2011, 01:21:59 am »

I've been playing for about 2 weeks and I have found any game breaking bugs.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: July 19, 2011, 01:23:19 am »

Windows. Windows are the key to survival. Zombies are terribly slow climbing through them, if they can see you through them they will head for the window even if its blocked by other zombies and theres an open door right next to it, you can easily get four or five free melee shots against a zombie climbing through the window... and then the same against the next... it will block a good deal of ranged attacks as well.

Windows are your best friend in the world. Know them. Love them.

Finally, Get some serious uppers like cocaine or adderal or a ton of caffeine. Use in emergencies to escape the horde, along with some strong painkillers. Keep track of whats slowing you down in the @ screen. Sloth is a killer - keep your speed above a hundred when dealing with zombies if at all possible.

Get yourself a decent melee weapon, and spend a while practicing on zombies stuck in windows. Once you've got some decent melee skills, consider picking up either guns or throwing. Throwing is actually really good, and ammo is retrievable (with good speed, you can loop around and re-use ammo in the same battle against slower enemies). Rocks are decent starting bashing AND throwing weapons, though eventually you'll want to improve that.

Guns are much better damage wise and great for emergencies, but have a tendency to make emergencies worse as well. Use them to take out the zombies that can catch up to you (bigger first) and then skedaddle before worse shows up. If you encounter a fast and deadly zombie before then, use terrain to your advantage. Again, windows. Run into a house, dart over to the window and make sure they can see you. Run to a back room, close the door, which should  them long enough for you to climb out the back window and at the very least get in a good position to do the same thing again.

Apparently bionics and molotovs are good? I dunno, haven't had the opportunity to try them (finally found some with last character then he died from taking some stairs to the rift, boo hoo hoo)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 19, 2011, 01:26:10 am »

Where are you bugging out and what are the error messages if any, anyway? Honestly, people need to be more descriptive on this stuff. ::)

No error messages, just closes the window sometime after starting. Can't figure out what causes it, but it's mostly a graphical glitch (if this game can even have one) in which the "@" status screen's background doesn't turn black, and keeps the main screen's background, and sometimes the item screen bugs out and repeats a line of text over and over.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: July 19, 2011, 01:32:06 am »

Sometimes for me, the game will randomly close, and teleport me to the last spot I saved at,yet keeping the world in its state at the time of said bug.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: July 19, 2011, 01:48:42 am »

Hey, just saying, maybe the game should take us to the main menu when we gameover or quit.

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: July 19, 2011, 01:54:29 am »

So, about how long do you guys last? I havnt even made it to day 3 yet, but I just downloaded the game today. I go out to get supplies and get bumrushed by zeds fairly quickly.
My current character is about 8 or so days into the game.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #2016 on: July 19, 2011, 02:09:12 am »

I'm having trouble making it to day two. Despite cheat monkeying myself an extra 44 points in custom character generation. ~.~

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 19, 2011, 02:23:08 am »

I'm having trouble making it to day two. Despite cheat monkeying myself an extra 44 points in custom character generation. ~.~

>.>
<.<

And how would someone do that?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 19, 2011, 02:26:14 am »

I've cheated my way to MASSIVE skills and stats, and it still doesn't matter. Choose your skills and stats to either complement your strong points in style, or plug holes, but stats and skills don't matter vs player skill and smarts.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: July 19, 2011, 02:56:15 am »

There's no way to turn off cheatmode is there? I heard somebody say that ~ disabled it, but it doesn't seem to do anything....

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: July 19, 2011, 03:33:55 am »

Debug, not cheat. Anyway, restarting the game seems to work for me.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: July 19, 2011, 04:02:20 am »

>.>
<.<

And how would someone do that?

You need the source.
Go to newcharacter.cpp, line 174, and change the variable "points" from 6 to whatever you want.
You can modify also the same variable in line 50, but it's for random or preset character generation.

Anyway, in linux the backspace works well

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: July 19, 2011, 06:13:33 am »

Been playing the game for a few days, I am quite impressed.
I specially love the item system, it's terribly deep and interesting. Plenty of "interesting junk" as well, and over-the-top "fun" (not "Fun" as in DF's Fun) items. It's fresh after so many roguelike developers decided to be strictly realist or medieval to add a few implants.
The terrain generator is also splendid. I always wanted to see procedural generation applied to towns instead of medieval castles and other fantasy clichés. The houses make sense (except for the lack of furniture), the town placement makes sense, and I love that enemy deployment system. I hope you don't mind if I adapt my own algorithm to match yours a little bit :P

I am missing or wondering about a few things:
-I am having a severe issue procuring water. Is there anything else out of drinking from a toilet? Can I purify that water? (Water boiling is possible?)

-Or even better, how about taking the water from the water canister of the toilet instead of from the bottom with all the disease? :P

-If there isn't, there should be a way to procure rain water or from condensation that isn't bionic-only. (Rain collectors might spoil your water if acid rain comes, too, so they wouldn't be almighty)

-Is it possible to put items on a container? Are there container tiles such as chests (modern ones of course, not treasure chests :P) or just shelves/wardrobes?

-Is it possible to push shelves or wardrobes? Some of the generated terrain does contain doors blocked by beds or wardrobes, or is it merely coincidental? If not, would be a fancy thing to do, and would make sense (specially when more furniture comes in)

-Just a little bug report (latest git on linux), I unloaded a radio and it gave me...several stacks of .44 ammo. I wanted the batteries...

-I actually love the "alone vs the zombie world" theme of the game as it is now...will it be possible to simulate the current behavior in later stages of the game's development? Perhaps a generation option? On that matter, will it be possible to have any input on world generation later on? Or, at least, will it be possible to disable NPCs voluntarily?
(The reasoning of the later is, as others survival games showcase, human NPCs can be terribly overpowered, annoying or make the game extremely unfair (to the player), or if you work with them, they are just bait, or you need to babysit them, or make survival by resources impossible for two...so there are times I would have them, times I wouldn't.) What's your opinion on this?

-Will it be possible to use some sort of generator to power a fridge so you can keep food fresh for longer?

-Is it possible to build fences, or only boarding is allowed? Will it be possible sometime?

-A suggestion for defects: Narcoleptic, which can make you fall asleep while waiting and sleeping is less refreshing (don't fall in the hollywood cliché of narcolepsy being falling asleep while walking or fighting or such. It doesn't work that way (but does with driving, so if it's going to be implemented...))

-Dreams? Nightmares? Might be interesting small morale (+-5?) bonuses/penalties.

-Pr*ngles cans so we can make cantennas! It's a classic low-budget DYI thing.

-When furniture comes into play, how about gas burners in kitchens? Can be a replacement for hotplates. Portable gas burners also exist IRL, and might double as bashing weapon or explosive :P How about making a mini-burner with alcohol, a can and string?

-Portable consoles can be a stupid addition, but can be fun too. They can be addictive xD Maybe you can have them check the amount of hand encumbrance so playing with your hands fully covered actually gives a morale penalty.

-How about an alarm item? That way sleep schedules can be controlled. (Unless they already exist)

-Would it be possible to have notes around the game? They are a staple of survival horror, and can be interesting in the shared server, where players will leave notes around. Random generation can also work, you should be able to write a "apocalyptic log" generator in no time, using references to locations and items around the area where the note is generated. It might require "writing" items though. Also, it's a way to make literacy matter more. You can also have them point to stashes or even stuff like safe combinations if they are going to exist.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:28:45 am by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: July 19, 2011, 06:26:16 am »

-I am having a severe issue procuring water. Is there anything else out of drinking from a toilet? Can I purify that water? (Water boiling is possible?)
  You can use a Water Purifier to purify water from questionable sources. There are also other drinks you can find in refridgerators.

-Is it possible to put items on a container? Are there container tiles such as chests (modern ones of course, not treasure chests :P) or just shelves/wardrobes?
  Only when you can't carry any more and you swap your item you are currently wielding for another item.

-Is it possible to push shelves or wardrobes? Some of the generated terrain does contain doors blocked by beds or wardrobes, or is it merely coincidental? If not, would be a fancy thing to do, and would make sense (specially when more furniture comes in)
  You cannot do this yet unfortunately.

-Just a little bug report (latest git on linux), I unloaded a radio and it gave me...several stacks of .44 ammo. I wanted the batteries...
  I'm pretty sure this is a known bug and Whales knows about it.

Hope that clears a few things up. As for the others, sorry I have no idea.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: July 19, 2011, 06:31:31 am »

Hope that clears a few things up. As for the others, sorry I have no idea.
I know about other drinks, but man, you burn through them in no time. The player character dehydrates fast, it seems. There should be BIG water bottles with more than one use :P
Anyway the others are mostly suggestions so it's entirely fine. Thanks for your answers!
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 777