Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1299840 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1875 on: July 17, 2011, 09:20:16 am »

I've been playing this game for several days now, and it's awesome. It displaced prospector as my favorite sandbox game and blew last winter out of the water.

That said I have a few questions.

1) Does pot cause Schitzophrenia to act up?

2)Why can't I use my integrated tool set (which includes a hatchet apparently) to butcher corpses?

3) Are more actions going to be tied in to the morale system? Most of the really downer aspects of the game (finding dead bodies, lack of human contact, being hungry/hurt/thirsty/in pain, eating monotonous food and drinking bad water) have no morale penalty.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 17, 2011, 10:50:03 am »

I was being chased by dozens of zombies, including hulks, due to lightning strikes, and got cornered by a river.

Decide to dive into river.

Die.

Uh. Why exactly did I die?  :-\
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 17, 2011, 10:50:21 am »

I'm actually just waiting for pain to be added to the morale system. 0_0

You'd think writhing in pain for days would be demoralizing, but nope! Morale is actually amazingly easy to keep up, everything considered... and it needs to be really rebalanced.

Example:
Smoking pot can give 60-70 morale, easy, and it lasts a while. Listening to music pops you right up to 50. Reading a book can give, at most, 5, and it takes longer to get and goes away almost immediately. Even playboys! Rain can drop your morale almost as much as pot (not terrible, really, since it got nerfed a bit I think), but being in excruciating pain or sick enough to vomit all over or not having eaten in a week leaves it untouched. It's definitely... strange, sometimes.

At the very least we need a few more perks, morale focused ones:
Booklover - You gain triple morale from reading books. (with the addendum that each time you read the same book within a given time period, you should have a chance of getting reduced morale bonus)
Sadist - You get a morale bonus from killing things.
Perv - You get triple bonus from reading playboys, and a passive morale bonus simply from having playboys in your inventory or nearby.
Sunlover - You get a small morale bonus simply from being outside when the sun is shining.
Stargazer - Waiting outside on clear nights gives a morale bonus.
Workaholic - You feel best when you're being productive - Building things and using craft skills gives you a boost to morale.

And, of course, some negatives:
Timid - You take a hit to morale when killing zombies, a larger hit when killing animals, and a much larger hit when killing humans. The morale hit from killing a given type of enemy is reduced over time as you accumulate more kills of that type as you grow numb to the effects.
Straight-edge - Using drugs beyond basic painkillers gives you a hit to your morale.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:07 am »

Because human's aren't exactly designed to breathe H2O
*Hugs*

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:18 am »

Decide to dive into river.

Die.

Uh. Why exactly did I die?  :-\
What was your swimming skill, and how encumbered were you? Remember that wearing a backpack, assuming you have no swimming skill, is enough to instantly bring it into the negatives.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 17, 2011, 11:02:45 am »

how do I put stuff in the fridge? I got this paper wrapper of meat sandwich, but I need to get a flashlight and I assume it's better to put foodstuffs in the fridge.
Also: Can I train the dog? And will he help me in fights? And does he need food or drink?
I really like the small map and the large UI, but is there a full screen option?
Fridges do nothing. Foods simply have an innate timer for rotting. Also, get clothing with more volume to store more stuff, like a backpack.
The dog is quite useless right now, since it will disappear after the map unloads (map teleport, save/load etc.) And no, nobody besides you needs food.
Also, no, no fullscreen or bigger viewports for now.

I've been playing this game for several days now, and it's awesome. It displaced prospector as my favorite sandbox game and blew last winter out of the water.

That said I have a few questions.

1) Does pot cause Schitzophrenia to act up?

2)Why can't I use my integrated tool set (which includes a hatchet apparently) to butcher corpses?

3) Are more actions going to be tied in to the morale system? Most of the really downer aspects of the game (finding dead bodies, lack of human contact, being hungry/hurt/thirsty/in pain, eating monotonous food and drinking bad water) have no morale penalty.
1) Nope, at least haven't did so during my playthroughts, I'll check the code though.

2) Because it isn't coded so, silly. Good point though, seems something that should be in.

3) I believe Whales has said he wants to redo the whole morale system, as it is quite broken for now, with XP over the roof and morale easy to keep up.

What? What thing in a human's possesion isn't designed to breathe water? lol grammer joke

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 17, 2011, 11:03:14 am »

I would really like death messages to be implemented. You were killed by $foo, you drowned, you chocked to death of on your own vomit...

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 17, 2011, 11:07:00 am »

I'm actually just waiting for pain to be added to the morale system. 0_0

You'd think writhing in pain for days would be demoralizing, but nope! Morale is actually amazingly easy to keep up, everything considered... and it needs to be really rebalanced.

Pain's major downside is its potentially crippling effect on stats and especially speed. Having a speed of 50-60 due to extreme pain is pretty much a death sentence unless you're in a really, really safe place and got enough time to stay put and rest till you heal (which is a pretty rare situation as you tend to get swarmed if you stick around somewhere for too long).

While I see your point from the point of view of realism, I'm not sure how piling on heavy morale penalties to all that would help gameplay.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 17, 2011, 11:11:34 am »

What? What thing in a human's possesion isn't designed to breathe water? lol grammer joke

Herp a derp.
I cans gammer gud!
*Hugs*

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 17, 2011, 11:31:21 am »

Lungs :P
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 17, 2011, 11:34:48 am »

Well, actually, nothing in a human's possession is designed to breathe water. Unless you happen to travel with your pet goldfish. :P

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 17, 2011, 11:37:48 am »

Having a speed of 50-60 due to extreme pain is pretty much a death sentence unless you're in a really, really safe place and got enough time to stay put and rest till you heal (which is a pretty rare situation as you tend to get swarmed if you stick around somewhere for too long).

That's what painkillers are for, and why its important to get them. But at least for me, my safehouse is actually pretty durn safe (or was, until I took some stairs into a rift. I HAD gone more than one level deep though, so I guess that was it).

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 17, 2011, 11:43:53 am »

I found 2 bottles of purifier in my starting house's basement. YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 17, 2011, 11:51:38 am »

Can anyone confirm what the backgrounds on Zombies mean?

So fay I've seen blue and red backgrounds. Blue after hitting them in melee combat. I'm guessing it means stunned/knocked down. Red seems to occur sometimes after the zombie gets hit by my finger laser, but I have no idea what it means. They don't seem to slow down, or die after a few turns (as if they were on fire) and there isn't any change to their description

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 17, 2011, 11:56:17 am »

Having a speed of 50-60 due to extreme pain is pretty much a death sentence unless you're in a really, really safe place and got enough time to stay put and rest till you heal (which is a pretty rare situation as you tend to get swarmed if you stick around somewhere for too long).

That's what painkillers are for, and why its important to get them. But at least for me, my safehouse is actually pretty durn safe (or was, until I took some stairs into a rift. I HAD gone more than one level deep though, so I guess that was it).

The stronger painkillers are more addictive, and the more sedated the slower you are. I personally don't build safehouses as it's often more fun (in every sense of the word) to stay on the move and explore. One of my better characters ended up dead due to the effects of opiate withdrawal and a major combined hit of painkillers and actual pain to his speed. That made me speculate said withdrawal brings more pain into the picture, and taking more pills to relieve that pain makes you slower while only temporarily reducing pain (and furthering the addiction).
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 777