Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1298694 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1410 on: July 09, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »

4) It's too hard!  (Play a few games, you'll get the hang of it)
5) It's too easy!  (Jesus christ people make up your minds  :D)
Dwarf Fortress is said to have an initial difficulty curve that has overhang. By having a game that is beloved by members of our community, you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into. If we had a movie, it would be called There Will Be Suggestions, and it's sequel, Suggestions 2: Contradictions Boogaloo.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: July 09, 2011, 01:53:35 pm »

I'd probably pay to watch just about any movie with "Contradictions Boogaloo" in the title.

That said, been playing a lil'bit via the windows V head posted a page or two back. Not having much luck, though, due to th'crashes coming in every few minutes :P Is the putty-accessible one more stable/recent?

E:Crashes is spelled with an s.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:20:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: July 09, 2011, 01:58:00 pm »

Whales, thanks for the great game. Though my character at 9 or 10 days now is having it too easy, I'm starting to get bored, it was more fun when he was at death's door continually XD

Spamming my wishlist/suggestions:-

Firstly - containers! I'd like to be able to find/craft "crates" which hold 24 cans of drink, maybe 12 tequila bottles etc. To keep it simple to code, when picking up or carrying a crate, it would count as only a single object, but when on the ground a new key would allow you to take items from the crate. I thought 24 would be a good number because it could use the letters a-x, or maybe make it a max. 52 limit and piggy-back it on the existing inventory system?

How about rags coming from clothes too, either deliberately or as a result of "damaged" clothes in battle or from failed repair attempts? Maybe they can even be stitched together to make "sack" objects?

As well as character creation options, it would be great to have world-creation options too, even if they were in an ini file. One thing i think would make the game a little harder is to be able to create a "No CBMs" (any maybe "No mutagen") world, my char has a bunch of CBMs and they seem to make the game too easy, I just don't need most of the equipment anymore, which is no fun.

Also and improved notes system would be nice (colorization and symbol selection). And please put in a "debug mode" toggle control. I accidentally hit 'z' and revealed the map. There is no undo feature for this :( A toggle control for debug mode would be easier than undo map reveal, this will also prevent accidentally spawned NPCs.

btw: the auto-save doesn't synchronize very well between character and map. Sometimes I clear out a shop, then it crashes, I load the auto-save and my character is back outside from before looting, but the doors are open and anything I picked up etc is gone. This is quite demoralizing. Can you maybe have an option or code to save the character whenever the map tile data is saved?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:05:10 pm by Reelyanoob »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: July 09, 2011, 02:18:29 pm »

I'd probably pay to watch just about any movie with "Contradictions Boogaloo" in the title.

That said, been playing a lil'bit via the windows V head posted a page or two back. Not having much luck, though, due to th'craches coming in every few minutes :P Is the putty-accessible one more stable/recent?

Nice to see i'm not the only one. For now I play with the earlier port.

I think layered clothes on body parts should have diminishing returns on carry volume, with maybe an exception for backpacks and bags. It's pretty silly that wearing 2 pairs of cargo pants lets me carry double the stuff.

How about rags coming from clothes too, either deliberately or as a result of "damaged" clothes in battle or from failed repair attempts? Maybe they can even be stitched together to make "sack" objects?

That's already in there. Use scissors on clothes, and I believe with some sewing you can make a backpack out of rags, unless its some other material.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:21:37 pm by Drakale »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: July 09, 2011, 02:35:51 pm »

Yeah, you can make backpacks, it just takes tailoring skill.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: July 09, 2011, 02:49:18 pm »

Nice to see i'm not the only one. For now I play with the earlier port.

v. 1.3.5 ? That's the one I'm sticking with for now, 1.3.6 kept crashing on me, and my prev. char is going too good to try 1.3.7 yet. 1.3.5 also seems to have fixed the @ screen bug that plagued versions up to 1.3.4
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 02:51:36 pm by Reelyanoob »

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: July 09, 2011, 03:04:08 pm »

Can you make lightning less common? I've had 2 safehouses burn down in one day from lightning strikes. This is ridiculous.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: July 09, 2011, 05:14:49 pm »

Whales,

I've got a couple of content suggestions.

A new negative character trait, chronic migraine headaches. Your character would randomly, and frequently suffer varying levels of pain. Sunlight would make them much worse, though sunglasses would help. Strong painkillers would be essential for this character.

I also noticed that although the P90, FAL, and SCAR are in the game, the F2000 is conspicuously absent. Which is too bad. It's one of my favorite guns in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC. :P
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: July 09, 2011, 06:16:20 pm »

The issue with strong painkillers being essential is that you can OD quite easily.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: July 09, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

Whales,

Goacbc Here again. Homemade Wine Kicks ASss...

On to something more serios, is there a way you could like add in clubs? They could hold lots of alcohol and be a place to draw zombie in then burn the building down!!! >:D

Oh and can't wait to hear how your doing.

Sorry alot of us on this forums can be dicks. If you want to understand just watch the Team America Dicks Pussies and Assholes metaphor. Thanks

Oh and I was watch this movie and this guy took a live human and bound him up and then let the zombie come to the tied up guy. Little did the zombies know there was a fucking gasplosion waiting to happen.

In the end everyone died. And I hope to see more diseases. Like when I drink toilet water. It'd be awesome if I got fucken saliminala or some shit disease.

Thanks Whales.

P.S. If only we knew each other in real life. We'd be buds for life. Love Ya
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: July 09, 2011, 08:10:50 pm »

Wait, I never noticed any dicks on this forum. Has anyone else?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: July 09, 2011, 08:21:28 pm »

Wait, I never noticed any dicks on this forum. Has anyone else?
Nope, me neither.

Lemme check ... Yeah, the last more negativish (is that even a word?) was the Facepunch discussion back earlier.

So yeah, clear as sunshine as far as I can tell.

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 09, 2011, 08:29:41 pm »

Oh my bad then. Haha.

I just read abunch of complaints and thought complaining Dickish!!!

Wait, imagine what the hulk looks like when he gets an erection.
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 09, 2011, 09:10:41 pm »

Whales, thanks for the great game. Though my character at 9 or 10 days now is having it too easy, I'm starting to get bored, it was more fun when he was at death's door continually XD

Spamming my wishlist/suggestions:-

Firstly - containers! I'd like to be able to find/craft "crates" which hold 24 cans of drink, maybe 12 tequila bottles etc. To keep it simple to code, when picking up or carrying a crate, it would count as only a single object, but when on the ground a new key would allow you to take items from the crate. I thought 24 would be a good number because it could use the letters a-x, or maybe make it a max. 52 limit and piggy-back it on the existing inventory system?

As well as character creation options, it would be great to have world-creation options too, even if they were in an ini file. One thing i think would make the game a little harder is to be able to create a "No CBMs" (any maybe "No mutagen") world, my char has a bunch of CBMs and they seem to make the game too easy, I just don't need most of the equipment anymore, which is no fun.

Also and improved notes system would be nice (colorization and symbol selection). And please put in a "debug mode" toggle control. I accidentally hit 'z' and revealed the map. There is no undo feature for this :( A toggle control for debug mode would be easier than undo map reveal, this will also prevent accidentally spawned NPCs.

btw: the auto-save doesn't synchronize very well between character and map. Sometimes I clear out a shop, then it crashes, I load the auto-save and my character is back outside from before looting, but the doors are open and anything I picked up etc is gone. This is quite demoralizing. Can you maybe have an option or code to save the character whenever the map tile data is saved?

Crates are intended as a part of the forthcoming "furniture" addition; they'll contain objects and can be dragged to be used as a barrier.

Rags from torn clothing is a good idea (I should make the message when your clothing gets torn a little better, too).

No CBMs, no mutagen, and others are perfectly fine player-set conducts--I encourage you to hold yourself to them if you like.  Don't really feel a desire to let the player remove them from the map entirely; you can just ignore them if you want the challenge of not using them.

An improved notes system--can you expound upon that a little?  And yes, debug functions are a little messy right now, I'm planning on moving them all to a unified debug menu.

Map tile data is saved extremely frequently--but I'll test autosaving just as frequently, and see how that works.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Can you make lightning less common? I've had 2 safehouses burn down in one day from lightning strikes. This is ridiculous.

I realize it's ridiculous and unrealistic, but isn't it fun to be forced to grab what you can and flee a burning building?

Whales,

I've got a couple of content suggestions.

A new negative character trait, chronic migraine headaches. Your character would randomly, and frequently suffer varying levels of pain. Sunlight would make them much worse, though sunglasses would help. Strong painkillers would be essential for this character.

I also noticed that although the P90, FAL, and SCAR are in the game, the F2000 is conspicuously absent. Which is too bad. It's one of my favorite guns in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC. :P

That F2000 is pretty cool.  Any idea what might differentiate it from the multiple 5.56 assault rifles already in the game?

The issue with strong painkillers being essential is that you can OD quite easily.

Use codeine if you're a noob, or a single oxy.  Multiple oxycodones and heroin are for those with a tolerence (i.e. addiction).

No one here is a dick!  You guys have been incredibly helpful, with suggestions, complaints (keep them coming, they're important!), bug reports, and just general enthusiasm.  Thanks for being such great players!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 09, 2011, 09:13:17 pm »

If I have one complaint... I'd be I think 9mm weapons need a look. Me and a few other friends of mine agree they just seem inherently worse than nearly every other class of weapon. Even .22s.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 777