Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1298388 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1080 on: July 05, 2011, 04:54:36 pm »

I decided to add a new gun mod to my game. Sticking it here in case anyone else wants it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 05, 2011, 05:00:56 pm »

New update.  NPC spawns have been turned off for now, until I get them more stable.  I still encourage people to spawn NPCs by hitting 'G', and to report to me the conditions under which they enter an infinite loop.

Obviously, doing that much damage with a spear is a bug.  Glyph, and anyone else experiencing large damage like that: let me know the details of your character (or email me the .sav file).  I can't do much about overpowering unless I know the conditions under which you are overpowered; stats and skill levels, and what weapon you're using.

I've changed the GUN() class to have flags, and the first one is WF_RELOAD_ONE - if set, the weapon will reload one cartridge at a time (this was the default behavior for all shotguns, but the Saiga-12 is a magazine-fed weapon and as such should load a full magazine at a time).

Janet, neat mod.  The reason I omitted shotgun silencers from the game is that they make shotguns really overpowered.  Right now, the fact that they're an easy one-hit kill is offset by their volume.  To balance a shotgun silencer, I might recommend reducing the damage by 25 or more, along with the accuracy ofset.
And remember that just using birdshot in your shotgun is basically a "silenced" version, or at least much quieter.

Shit.

I think the lighter needs some kind of prompt. Something like "are you sure you want to burn your house down?"

A single miss-click, and it's all gone. :'(

I trust the player to know when using a lighter is a bad idea.  Don't play with matches, kids!  Fires are for outdoors, away from your home!

I knew that it would burn my house down if I used it, but I didn't intentionally use it. I was trying to use my flashlight, when I hit 'I' instead of 'U'.

I'm just going to try to keep my lighter out of my inventory unless I really need it.

I've changed the prompt "Place where?" to "Place fire where?".  This should make it extra-clear what you're about to do!

Oh god, I'm going to lose my awesome character. :<

Was trying to make a chitin armor (how long does this take? I've been crafting nonstop for three days straight!) and then DREADED INFINITE NPC LOOP!

Is there any way I can force kill the npc or edit the save data somehow to kill him?

You can always quit and then load an auto-save.  I've tweaked chitinous armor a little bit.  I need to instate a "percent completed" way to save partially-finished crafts.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:06:44 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 05, 2011, 05:05:00 pm »

I was gonna test how it was and see if I could balance it without utterly killing the damage. Since as it is shotguns are sub sonic and the damage wouldn't fall much anyway. So... Yeah. I'm trying to see if I can do that without utterly murdering the damage, which would make me just go use a different gun in the first place anyway. As it stands in game shotguns are only really good as clubs that can shoot people in a pinch.

Also damn you! I just built my version JUST before you said that! D:

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 05, 2011, 05:06:44 pm »

New update.  NPC spawns have been turned off for now, until I get them more stable.  I still encourage people to spawn NPCs by hitting 'G', and to report to me the conditions under which they enter an infinite loop.

Obviously, doing that much damage with a spear is a bug.  Glyph, and anyone else experiencing large damage like that: let me know the details of your character (or email me the .sav file).  I can't do much about overpowering unless I know the conditions under which you are overpowered; stats and skill levels, and what weapon you're using.

I've changed the GUN() class to have flags, and the first one is WF_RELOAD_ONE - if set, the weapon will reload one cartridge at a time (this was the default behavior for all shotguns, but the Saiga-12 is a magazine-fed weapon and as such should load a full magazine at a time).

Janet, neat mod.  The reason I omitted shotgun silencers from the game is that they make shotguns really overpowered.  Right now, the fact that they're an easy one-hit kill is offset by their volume.  To balance a shotgun silencer, I might recommend reducing the damage by 25 or more, along with the accuracy ofset.
And remember that just using birdshot in your shotgun is basically a "silenced" version, or at least much quieter.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to merge with my branch if you want that everything platform dependent have be entered into a bunch of #if
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1084 on: July 05, 2011, 05:13:28 pm »

Speaking of platform dependency - I just tried compiling on a mac and the -o option for uname isn't supported at the moment. I also get a segfault from strlen. Might be something on my end though.

Right now I don't have time to experiment with it, but I might look into it at some point. Although I really hate macs. Stupid thing.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 05, 2011, 05:16:12 pm »

I was gonna test how it was and see if I could balance it without utterly killing the damage. Since as it is shotguns are
sub sonic and the damage wouldn't fall much anyway. So... Yeah. I'm trying to see if I can do that without utterly murdering
the damage, which would make me just go use a different gun in the first place anyway. As it stands in game shotguns are
only really good as clubs that can shoot people in a pinch.

Also damn you! I just built my version JUST before you said that! D:

Well, it's less of a realism issue and more of a gameplay issue--shotguns are already powerful weapons when used wisely, they don't need to be made into some uber-gun that's used in all situations.  Personally, I kind of like the way the noise of the shotguns forces the player to choose wisely when to use it, or to face the consequences. Perhaps if I added durability to weapons, and a shotgun silencer (and other silencers) were "used up" quickly--that way both realism and gameplay balance are preserved.

Speaking of platform dependency - I just tried compiling on a mac and the -o option for uname isn't supported at the moment. I also get a segfault from strlen. Might be something on my end though.

Right now I don't have time to experiment with it, but I might look into it at some point. Although I really hate macs. Stupid thing.

Replace the offending line in Makefile to
Code: [Select]
OS = macssuckor any other value you choose.  Otherwise it should compile okay; dunno what that strlen thing is about.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:19:07 pm by Whales »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 05, 2011, 05:20:39 pm »

You actually have a point whales. That shotgun I used with my most successful character ever was actually very useful. I suppose Ill remove my shotgun mod, though I think the rifled barrel still needs a look at.

But since I'm modding source files now for various little things to make some things make more sense to me (Spam tastes good dammit!) would there be any way for me to somehow merge my changes into a newly downloaded source pull? Like diff files or something? I'm fairly new to this but I'm enjoying how simple it is to mod this game.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 05, 2011, 05:24:58 pm »

You actually have a point whales. That shotgun I used with my most successful character ever was actually very useful. I suppose Ill remove my shotgun mod, though I think the rifled barrel still needs a look at.

But since I'm modding source files now for various little things to make some things make more sense to me (Spam tastes good dammit!) would there be any way for me to somehow merge my changes into a newly downloaded source pull? Like diff files or something? I'm fairly new to this but I'm enjoying how simple it is to mod this game.

The rifled barrel mod suffers from the constraints in the gun mod system.  Obvious it doesn't work quite like real life, but it is intended to change the focus of the shotgun somwhat.  If you're firing shot, you don't really care about the accuracy of the rifled barrel--you don't need it.  But using a rifled barrel allows you to fire slugs at long range, albeit less damagingly.  I'm happy with it, for now at least.

I don't really know how diff works either (I'm new to all this too).  Run "man diff" in a terminal, and read up? :)

Alternatively you can make your own branch project on git, much as head has.  Again, I'm pretty ignorant about how it works, but Head might be able to help.  Or there's google!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 05, 2011, 05:37:43 pm »

So what would you all say be a good combo clothing/armor in regards to encumbrance vs protection vs storage? I think the main reason why I keep getting killed is because I encumber myself to much and can't dodge but I like carrying alot of stuff so I can travel long distances.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 05, 2011, 05:54:28 pm »

I remember on a menu there was a number on the lower left hand side that counted down, and I thought that was
the time till monsters spawned.  What is the key for that menu? Or has that been removed?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 05, 2011, 05:58:18 pm »

You can always quit and then load an auto-save.  I've tweaked chitinous armor a little bit.  I need to instate a "percent completed" way to save partially-finished crafts.

Yeah, that's what I've done to escape them before while sleeping and stuff, but the problem is that if you do that while crafting the crafting never finishes, it seems. (hence the crafting for 4+ days).

Do you intend to add a way to manually interrupt crafting at some point?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 05, 2011, 06:07:29 pm »

So what would you all say be a good combo clothing/armor in regards to encumbrance vs protection vs storage?

I find the best for just storage and mild protection is Hoodie + Utility vest + cargo pants and a holster or two. It's not much protection but the best solution to protection is just simply NOT getting hit.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 05, 2011, 06:15:22 pm »

Yeah, this more than any roguelike is a game that reinforces the fact that, if you're not wearing platemail, any hit that lands is probably going to hurt bad.  Personally, I find a wool poncho to be a great addition to any outfit, since it's not encumbering and seems to add some basic-zombie protection.  Hardhats are good head protection without restricting your breathing, and skirts share the "-1" encumbrance of sneakers, if you're not wearing anything else on your legs (besides a holster).

Sneakers, skirt, hoodie, raincoat (because depression is serious), wool poncho, fanny pack, holster, fingerless gloves, ski goggles, and a hard hat might be a hilarious outfit, but it has a reasonable amount of pocket space, melee protection (except for the legs), and provides a pretty good net speed boost.  (The skirt is a matter of your own honor.  I've just settled for making female characters.)

Obviously it doesn't provide nearly as much pocket space as a trenchcoat and cargo pants, but in my experience, giving yourself to ability to carry craploads of items leads to stupid risks.  Frequent light trips work fine for me, especially since when you get right down to it, there's not much stuff you ever actually need that you can't probably find on the way to wherever you're going.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 05, 2011, 06:21:26 pm »

Who would have thought crossdressing is the most viable way for men to survive the zombie apocalypse.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 05, 2011, 06:21:32 pm »

May I make a request for salt, which can be mixed with water to make saltwater for somewhat easier making of beef jerky? Perhaps in sports stores and groceries, and in largish amounts, like 50 units of salt  aload?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 777