Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1297957 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #510 on: June 30, 2011, 04:28:55 am »

Compiling it isn't that difficult if you just clone the git repository. All you need to do is make sure you have g++ or whatever it is called (g-core?) and then make clean.

I'm not sure you realize just how utterly incomprehensible that sentence is to someone who knows nothing about programming.  Because let me tell you, I know something about compiling C++ programs, and that sentence is pure moonspeak to me.

Considering it's an open-source project, the platform the original developer is using shouldn't make that big a difference.  That's why I salute head's attempt to make the game ready-and-playable for Windows users, even if the crashes are still a serious problem.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 30, 2011, 04:29:20 am »

Oh MY JESUS F***IN CHRIST. YES I AM RAGING. SORRY 'BOUT THAT YOU SMARTIES.

man I feel so dumb. am I god damn retarded like 5 year old kid with 10 pounds of sugar? or are all of you completely used to this compile this compile that shit.
All I want is to PLAY the game without crashing every 3 minutes. and to do that I have to do all the compiling stuff myself!.
It's insane. PuTTY version is literally hit by a shitstorm so it's full of pile of shits and places been looted down to the ground. I do NOT want to play using PuTTY.
Is it THAT wrong to expect a compiled version? regardless of platform? Yes I can install VMware and do all the crazy stuff the game requres.
But getting users to do all the compiling with there own hands causes THIS problem. Some people cannot play.

okay. you know what? I won't expect any Windows compiled Cataclysm.
But please anyone have mercy and release the Linux compiled version.

Compiling it isn't that difficult if you just clone the git repository. All you need to do is make sure you have g++ or whatever it is called (g-core?) and then make clean.

I wasted quite a lot of time trying to compile myself. you mean 'easy' for native linux users. in fact I didn't even get what you mean by your brief instructions

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 30, 2011, 04:40:16 am »

Is it normal that there are dozens of hammers in shops but not a single nail?
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 30, 2011, 04:47:22 am »

I'm not sure you realize just how utterly incomprehensible that sentence is to someone who knows nothing about programming.  Because let me tell you, I know something about compiling C++ programs, and that sentence is pure moonspeak to me.
I think you might have missed his edit.

...I'll type up what I did on my Ubuntu install to get the game working.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
According to here, if you have Ubuntu, you don't even need to download ncurses. So I assume if you just follow his commands, it should work. Of course, I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like it'd work from my point of view.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #514 on: June 30, 2011, 04:48:43 am »

I'm sorry, I haven't used Linux for too long I thought it was easy enough to understand, but I will try again. This is assuming you have already set up Ubuntu in Virtual Box, there are many guides online for that.

Updated Guide on Compiling in Ubuntu

I hope this is a bit easier to understand.

Edit: Reference guide on commands if needed here: http://fosswire.com/post/2007/08/unixlinux-command-cheat-sheet/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:53:07 am by dbfuru »

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 30, 2011, 04:53:13 am »

sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

this is the part that puzzles me. I could type in the pasword after a few failed attempts, but it seems that the file is missing.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #516 on: June 30, 2011, 04:57:22 am »

Hmm, I am certain that is spelled correctly, I just tried installing it again on my install and I got back this

jake@jake-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev
[sudo] password for jake:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
libncurses5-dev is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 428 not upgraded.

Someone mentioned Ubuntu might already have ncurses so you might not need it. You might also have luck looking for it in the Ubuntu software centre, on my version (older than current) it's under Applications - > Ubuntu Software Centre. Then you can search for software packages, libncurses definately appears in mine.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 30, 2011, 05:14:48 am »

It's not too hard, I used x2yzh9's guide and I managed to get it working with a bit of trial and error whenever I got stuck.

Note: I'm not super intelligent, the only programming I know is a minuscule amount of Python, and I never progressed past Jr High. It can be done.

Alright, Here's my guide

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 30, 2011, 05:34:10 am »

wierd. my Ubuntu doesn't have anything called Ubuntu software center or something. so I downloaded the assorted files manually. which was pain in the ass,
and I think it's working out quite nicely.
thanks for the help.

What I learned today is that unless someone shoves a gun in my mouth to make me do so, I won't use linux based OS ever ever again.

edit : Nope, not working. I'm giving up. did exactly as told but ubuntu couldn't locate git-core
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:50:07 am by BoomClap »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 30, 2011, 07:37:13 am »

Is it normal that there are dozens of hammers in shops but not a single nail?

Yes, if you live in Ireland.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 30, 2011, 07:44:19 am »

Oh MY JESUS F***IN CHRIST. YES I AM RAGING. SORRY 'BOUT THAT YOU SMARTIES.

man I feel so dumb. am I god damn retarded like 5 year old kid with 10 pounds of sugar? or are all of you completely used to this compile this compile that shit.
All I want is to PLAY the game without crashing every 3 minutes. and to do that I have to do all the compiling stuff myself!.
It's insane. PuTTY version is literally hit by a shitstorm so it's full of pile of shits and places been looted down to the ground. I do NOT want to play using PuTTY.
Is it THAT wrong to expect a compiled version? regardless of platform? Yes I can install VMware and do all the crazy stuff the game requres.
But getting users to do all the compiling with there own hands causes THIS problem. Some people cannot play.

okay. you know what? I won't expect any Windows compiled Cataclysm.
But please anyone have mercy and release the Linux compiled version.
You don't deserve to play this after that.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #521 on: June 30, 2011, 07:56:05 am »

For Ubuntu... I would recommend the package manager. Not sure where it is, but somewhere on the menu. Most linuxes these days use package-based software distribution. What that means is that if you want some program, or some library (think .dll files), instead of going to the site of whoever programmed it, you use a central repository. Developers submit their packages to the repository, and they become available to everyone from a single source. This method has it's problem, but in general it works out pretty nicely.

Now, apt or aptitude are programs that allow you to download and install these packages. So what you're going to need to do is get ncurses, then get the compilers, then get the source code, and then compile. ncurses is a library (just a piece of independent code that programmers can reuse) that allows you to draw characters on-screen. Most roguelikes use ncurses or a similar library to show stuff on screen. libncurses5 is the library itself that you need to run stuff that uses ncurses, whereas libncurses5-dev is the version that you need to compile code that uses ncurses (taking source code and making it into an executable).

git is simply a program that allows you to share your source-code with people. It allows multiple developers to work on the same piece of software independently without screwing up everything and overwriting each other's stuff.

First things first: you need to get all the packages for the software you're going to need.

To get the source code, you need "git". The ubuntu package name is "git" (search on packages.ubuntu.com).
To get all compiler related stuff, you want a package called "build-essential". It has all you'll need! Easy, 'innit?
To get the ncurses stuff for compilation, you need libncurses5-dev (apparently libncurses5 is already installed)

How do you get this? You use aptitude, but you need administrator privileges, so you do "sudo" (super-user do). All of this is done in a terminal. First you update the package information from your repository:

"sudo aptitude update"

Then, you tell it to install the packages you need:

"sudo aptitude install git build-essential libncurses5-dev", this is what you want to run. It will ask you for your password. Just put that in and press enter. It should install.

Once you've done that, the other guides on this thread should work. Run git clone with the git repository, then run "make clean" and then "make". To run the game, just type "./cataclysm". If the screen is all black, try increasing the size of the terminal window.

I hope this helps you guys a bit. I know linux is complicated - but there's no reason to get this pissed off about it. If you only run linux, you also don't have access to most games... people insist on using directX and windows-only technologies, essentially making games almost impossible to run on Mac or Linux. Ain't fun to be on the other side, I know. Besides, cross-platform programming isn't as easy as you guys seem to think it is, as evidenced by problems in the windows version.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 30, 2011, 07:57:48 am »

Come on guys give some slack... It's an early alpha of a FREE game and he's even here on the forums taking our suggestions. We're lucky that we even get to play it, much less be a part of it.
STOP COMPLAINING, IT'S NOT THAT BAD!   >:(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:59:50 am by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 30, 2011, 08:00:05 am »

Thanks for the helpful posts, guys! :) The version Tarran posted is working fine for me, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

knightawesome

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGWTFBBQ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 30, 2011, 08:10:05 am »

I've got the windows version and it's basicly working perfectly! only problem is that I can't see is my health and sometimes will rarely freeze.

I've got a great game going right now, There are pits surrounding my house with all windows barricaded and shotgun traps on the inside.My weapons are a AK-47 modified and a glock 19 modified, The clothes I have are a backpack,Trenchcoat,army pants,steeltoed boots and light amplifier goggles.

THIS IS EPIC
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 777